What Do You Listen To? (Non-Music)

Options
DanOhh
DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
What's something you listen to while exercising that's NOT music while exercising? While jogging I still listen to music but, walking I don't need that extra push I get from music so I like listening to humorous podcasts.

Adam Carolla, from 'The Man Show', has an excellent daily web show that's FREE. Lasting anywhere from a hour to 1:45 long (Warning: Not for the easily offended).

What do you like to listen to that's NOT music while exercising? And, if you can get it downloaded for free please state, Thanks.

Replies

• ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    When I am on my treadmill, I use my portable DVD player, and watch Charmed, from start to finish, over and over! I just never get tired of that show....oh, and Pushing Daisy's , so sad they canceled that show...
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Download podcasts of Frosty, Heidi & Frank...they were an L.A. based FM talk radio show, but moved to AM radio when the station changed format. They are HILARIOUS! I love them! Just recently there were station changes again, and now they're only on the internet, but I'm sure you can still get podcasts. There have been times where I had to stop listening to them at the gym because people were starting to stare at me, laughing my head off on the treadmill.

Like Adam Corolla (who used to be on before them when they were in L.A.), it's not for the easily offended.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    hmmm i really only music. but i have never considered something like maybe an audio book or talk radio. maybe for walking i could try it!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I listen to my "learn to speak Italian" podcasts in the hopes it will sink in subliminally :laugh:
  • fearlessly
    fearlessly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love my gym for two reasons: one, it's open 24/7 during the week (closes early on weekends unfortunately); and two; all the treadmills/bicycles/cardio machines have hookups that let you plug your headphones in, and about ten tv screens/channels.

I like to combine the two and go around midnight and watch Leno & Jimmy Fallon. I'm not sure exactly why, but it makes exercising really enjoyable for me. When I exercise to music, time seems to go by much more slowly.
  • Myband78
    Options
    I do listen to music but right now I'm working on the C25K program so I'm listening to the C25K podcast I downloaded.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When i do cardio, I watch MMA. I found that no matter how much my legs hurt, when you see a guy get kicked in the nose, they don't hurt so much anymore.
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If I'm not listening to music, I usually just watch what's on the sceens at the fitness club. More often than not, it's tuned into something related to current events. Someone recently told me that they watch episodes of The Biggest Loser on the treadmill.
  • ms_sf49ergal
    Options
    high energy dance songs.

also i was told that if you watch reality shows while on the cardio machines before you know it an hour has passed by and you have done an hour of cardio.
  • RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    When i do cardio, I watch MMA. I found that no matter how much my legs hurt, when you see a guy get kicked in the nose, they don't hurt so much anymore.

Haha, I like that logic! I might have to try that one.
  • kasmir8199
    Options
    When I am on my treadmill, I use my portable DVD player, and watch Charmed, from start to finish, over and over! I just never get tired of that show....oh, and Pushing Daisy's , so sad they canceled that show...

That is a GREAT idea! I never thought to bring my portable DVD player to the gym and do time on the treadmill. I'll make it a goal to do this at least once a week. Awesome!
  • kasmir8199
    Options

Ah, so true! Way to look at the bright side of things!!
    I wouldn't be able to watch MMA while doing cardio though. I'd much rather be doing some muay thai myself!
  • cuddlegrl
    cuddlegrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The Elvis Duran Channel on iheart radio

I listen to them in the mornings in the car too. iheart radio has their shows playing back to back 24/7.

iheart radio has several what they call "personalities" that you can listen to if you have an iPhone or other device that supports iheart radio.

I use it for music too and then I listen to the channel "wild" which is made up of current party hits.

Pandora radio is an app for most phones and they have similar things but that app tends to crash :(
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options

That is a GREAT idea! I never thought to bring my portable DVD player to the gym and do time on the treadmill. I'll make it a goal to do this at least once a week. Awesome!

It makes time on the treadmill go super fast! Before you know it you have been on there for an hour!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

Haha, I like that logic! I might have to try that one.

Geez i'd even do that...just watching how ripped they are would motivate me to get my fat @ss moving...i hear that audio books were really good, as long as the narrative didn't sound stupid. i listen to the humming of the stationary bike, or the grunting of the guy that's lifting to much weight