°Vegetarians Wanted°

Options
I have been vegetarian for over 10 years now. However, it's far from a healthy diet. I feel like I fall into the vegetarian junk food category. I am looking for MFP friends with open diaries (vegetarian or vegan) to help me with this change in diet. I'm not looking for criticism but instead I'm looking for ideas of how other veggies eat on a daily basis. = )

Replies

• tb221
    tb221 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think the important part is eating whole foods...I'm actually eating a plant based diet. Every now and then I eat fish. But, normally I eat a lot of fruits, vegetables, beans, quinoa/brown rice, corn tortillas, oatmeal, and a bit of whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread. I also use hummus, salsa, and kimchi to add flavor to my meals. And, of course peanut butter is amazing!

The less processed and packaged your food is, the better it is for you!
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 8 years now and have fallen into that junk food category for much of it as well. It's only recently that I have begun working towards being healthier. You're welcome to add me as a friend if you want, though I am new to this :)
  • RNWA
    RNWA Posts: 1
    Options
    Babycatmeows,
    I'm new to the site (in fact, I have no idea how this site works yet) but I think I may fall into the same category as you....a lacto-ovo vegetarian who still doesn't always make balanced/healthy choices. Pizza is my down fall....I'm eating it as we speak. Hopefully someone out there can share some healthy yet tasty recipes/meal plans for those of us who don't eat meat.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer my vegetarians to be free range, saddled in leather, ridden daily, and fed a diet of organic oats and hay.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Sorry not a Vegetarian here but I feel that I know about your problem. Are you trying to stick hard to a "clean"/no junk food diet? Because from the sounds of it, thats what it feels like. When I was on those strict diets, I would get mad cravings for junk food and endup eating more than I should. The solution is to eat SOME junk food on a regular basis (I eat about 200 calories worth of ice cream which is 10% of my daily calories). This way I don't endup binging and getting mad cravings.

You can also checkout some foreign recipes for vegetarian dishes. Might I suggest some Indian/Pakistani Veggie curries recipes? They will do very good things for your macros and calories. Good luck :)
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! Don't judge my diet based on the last few days (yesterday especially). It's been a rough week. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now, and I ate almost completely clean for about two months (August and most of September), and still eat extremely healthy in general.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    20 year vegetarian with a similar pattern, quit meat and turned to pasta, cheese, bread for my main sources of food. I have had to change some of my "regulars" to eat healthier. I have an open diary.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I post some of my (new) recipes via my links. Feel free to add me :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi..I have been vegetarian my entire life, never tasted meat and ballooned to 270lbs, but now at my goal weight.

I keep an open diary and welcome all vegetarian friends. Any fellow vegetarians please feel free to add me.
  • Diefeinbaker
    Diefeinbaker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi I've been vegetarian for 16 years but feel I also turned to junk food. Have recently been told have to go on a high protein low carb diet which is sometimes challenging! Please feel free to add me, my diary is open. Hopefully we can all help each other.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    your welcome to add me vegan here :) open diary
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I got fat eating raisin bread, cream cheese, and 7-11 donuts (yes, let's get real). My diet now is mostly lentils, brown rice, and lots of vegges,with fruit for a sweet, plus an occasional chocolate shake. I still nip into the junk food because I'm surrounded by it at work, but I'm doing much better and have lost almost 40 pounds since spring of this year, thanks to MFP..
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a brand new vegan as well, and you can add me -- went from having BBQ in my veins last year to no meat, dairy, cheese ... nada. So far we haven't found any issues, so I'm wondering what "vegetarian junk food" is?
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Here! Feel free to add me!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can't remember how long I've been vegetarian quite a few years... vegan since January 2012. People would ask how you can get fat being vegetarian and I would always say pizza and beer are vegetarian! lol

Feel free to add me. :)
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I prefer my vegetarians to be free range, saddled in leather, ridden daily, and fed a diet of organic oats and hay.

Disrespectful and immature. Why did you even respond?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Disrespectful and immature. Why did you even respond?

Hypersensitive and whiny. Why did you even reply?
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'm vegan... but my diary isn't open. I am always happy to share recipes and tips, though.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for over 40 yrs.. I used to eat an extremely clean diet (no sugar, no dairy, no white flour, only made my own bread, cooked EVERYTHING from scratch, etc.), but through the years I've slacked off quite a bit. You're welcome to send me a friend request; I've got my diary open only to friends. (Just try to ignore some of my not-so-healthy choices!) :flowerforyou:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm a Vegan feel free to add me