Girl's Night, Junk Food Fright!

Options
Okay, so childish as it is, my friend is having a good old fashioned sleepover for her birthday. Uh oh, I know what this means. Sweets, chocolate, ice cream, popcorn (the bad kind :/), fizzy drinks galore. Not to mention what we'll eat for breakfast the next day!

Now, I can't exactly say no to the junk as it's sort of a killjoy for everyone, but I don't want to eat too much! Her sleepover's over two nights and I'm already going to the gym on the morning before... Any more tips?? Oh, and we're going shopping and will probably get stuff to eat from places like Subway and drinks from 'Shake away' (A milkshake place). How can I keep my calories low??

Replies

• Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Just eat in moderation and enjoy =)

Oh and drink plenty of water! If soda is available at parties, I still drink water anyways. Instead of 3 pieces of cake, I stick to one or like one cupcake.
  • alysen2012
    Options
    At subway they have a little menu that tells what subs are good for if you are watching calories, fats, and something else i cant remember. But for a drink water if they are true friends they will understand that you are on a diet but sometime you have to cheat on it according to my nutritions.
  • Katherine912
    Katherine912 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would say to just be mindful and keep track of your calories. At subway go for mustard and no cheese to save room for other temptations later. If you do decide to get a milkshake, make it the smallest one and then skip on dessert later. And if you do choose to have chips or snacks, place your food on a plate so you know exactly what you've eaten. Allow one cookie and only 1 serving of chips (10 or so).

Good luck!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    pick a few items that you want, and only eat little portions of them. Also maybe you could also bring a few healthy snacks for the group that you'll be able to eat. There are tons of "healthified" junk food items such as veggies and dip such as hummus, plain air popped popcorn, diet soda if you must have something fuzzy
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Subway isn't a terrible choice and if you workout you should be able to afford 300 calories of snacks. I think get the popcorn before there's butter on it! then have a few pieces of chocolate.
    Breakfast isn't too bad usually even a pancake a two pieces of bacon, or eggs are not a ton of calories.
    Or, make it your cheat day but don't go too crazy and have fun with your friends!
  • sarahleelee
    sarahleelee Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eat a 6" Subway Veggie sub, and bring your own lower calorie popcorn (no one will care!). You can absolutely say no -- it's not a killjoy! They want to hang out with YOU, and good times with friends shouldn't stipulate on your food consumption! Bring some sorbet or skinny cow deserts and some sparkling water, too, if you want ice cream and fizzy drinks. You can enjoy yourself and enjoy your shrinking waistline at the same time!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Offer to bring the popcorn and just air pop it - let people add their own seasonings and limit yours to maybe some lemon pepper or garlic or nutritional yeast. Bring your own drinks or just drink water and a little (and I do mean little) of the least-heavy option they have available. Contribute some dark chocolate to the mix and have a piece of that.
    What are your breakfast options? Just limit your portions and go with whatever will provide the most nutrition.
    Subway - whole wheat bread (6" or kids size), skip the cheese and mayo, go with lean meat and lots of veggies, use a tiny bit of oil & vinegar if you absolutely must have some sort of dressing on it. Don't get the cookie, get water with it or, if you must have a sweet drink, get the 5 calorie lemonade they have from the fountain (or a bottle of apple or orange juice).
    Milkshake place - skip it - you can say no! If you HAVE TO have one, get the smallest size, get the fruit kind, and savor it slowly.
    When all is said and done, get back on the wagon when the weekend is over and drink TONS of water to flush it all out.

Have fun!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    at the house you can pick a bowl, estimate/measure what it holds in terms of cups, and serve yourself in it. this way if the bowl holds 2 cups you know that you ate two cups of popcorn/ice cream when you finish it. maybe this will help things from getting out of control! have fun!
  • nataliew834
    Options
    If you end up at subway just get a 6in on Italian and load it with veggies! No mayo, but get a little bit of mustard and vinegar. Turkey is really good but also no meat is REALLY good if you load on the veggie (lettuce,cucumber,onions,tomatoe, green peppers, and couple pickels)

ya i know how it is to eat around friends when you are on a diet. They'll try and break you lol, just eat slow! and bring healthy snacks to share with everyone, maybe healthy popcorn , pretzels with only a little salt, string cheese (weight watchers).

HAVE FUN
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I just looked up that milkshake place and you can request soy milk instead of regular, so that will have fewer calories and less fat - hope that helps!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Do you have cheat days where you don't track cals and just enjoy food?

I have one every weekend and I haven't gained weight from it.

I'm not on a diet because that's not for me. I still enjoy white rice and pasta but just in better moderation. I even have a slice of pizza for dinner even when it's not a cheat day!
  • catrinpersephone
    Options
    Thanks guys this is so good! Also, we're going to the cinema, where they have popcorn, big bags of sweets and pic'n'mix. What should I get there??