NSV - Same 5K 1 year apart, what a difference a year makes

Options
So last year in Oct 2012, I participated in a 5K called Queen City Race for Life. It helps support breast cancer. It was my very 1st 5K. I was trying to run at the time so I signed up as a runner. I wasn't able to run the whole thing, I actually had to walk most of it. I completed the 5K, cried because it was my very first race. I thought I was awesome! Lol! My finish time was 51 min (and some odd seconds, I think I was almost at the 52 min mark)! I thought those numbers were great!! I had been "working out" since the begining of Aug at the time of the race last year. And although I was running/walking I wasn't eating right at all. Shortly after this race I gave up everything all together. Stopped running or walking. I went back into failure mode.

Fast forward to the middle of July 2013. I had had it with myself. My weight had gone up to 290lbs. I so so tired of starting & failing, starting & failing, starting & failing. I had no hope for success within myself. I am a devout Jesus Girl! And I knew that I was not making right choices to have the body He created be what He created it to be! I prayed and told God. You help me fix this path I am on & I will make sure YOU get all the glory for it. I knew there was no way, in my own power, I could do this again and succeed. And so my journey, with a hope for my future I had never had, began. I joined a gym, started watching my calories & stopped eating junk, joined a bootcamp (strength training) 3 days a week & did cardio another 3 days a week. And i signed up for the Queen City Race for Life again, only this time as a walker. I was determined to have a better time this time around. Even if it was only by a few seconds.

Today was the day of the race. For comparrison purposes I wore the same shirt I wore last year. I walked the whole thing & completed it in right at 48 min!!!!! And yes it was my legs that carried me the 3.1 miles, but it was the power, grace & love of God that gave me the hope & "want to" to make my life better and finish the race!!!

The left pic is from 2012 & the right is from today. I still have 75lbs to lose until I reach my goal. But, this time, I know I will get there!! And God will get all the glory!!!
queencityraceforlife2013.jpg

P.S. I understand that some of you may think this belongs in the "religious" section. And I also understand that some of you may think I am crazy, stupid or ignorant for believeing like I do. I can respect your opnion. We all have free will to make whatever choices we deem fit in our own lives. My choice happens to be one that lives my life for (what I believe to be) the one true God! All I ask is that you keep any negative comments or opnions to yourself, please! I would do the same for you if the post was yours!

Thanks & God Bless to all!!!

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Just because your success story is attached to a religious story, doesn't mean it's less than a success or should be anywhere else. Good for you and keep it up!
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You look great, the difference is so wonderful and you look so much happier in the new photo. Keep at it, you have the faith and will power to do this. Great job, and what a great way to see how well you are doing.:flowerforyou:
  • ambootcamp
    ambootcamp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! It is amazing what we are able to do with the power of God behind us. Keep up the good work :)
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work - 5K's are great because they give such a sense of accomplishment. I'm sure you'll be putting up another post next year with three pictures :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I was not blessed with a faith and am a committed atheist but I admire your accomplishment and will apologize for my non-belief if we meet at the pearly gates. MFP is a place where we can share our accomplishments and appreciate that, no matter what our individual beliefs, we are here to encourage and congratulate each other because we are truly, all of us, in this together.

Best wishes,
    Heidi
  • carashirley
    carashirley Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was not blessed with a faith and am a committed atheist but I admire your accomplishment and will apologize for my non-belief if we meet at the pearly gates. MFP is a place where we can share our accomplishments and appreciate that, no matter what our individual beliefs, we are here to encourage and congratulate each other because we are truly, all of us, in this together.

Best wishes,
    Heidi

Thank you Heidi!
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Great job! And no...not stupid or ignorant or whatever...it's awesome. :flowerforyou: There is nothing wrong with believing in something. Especially the Lord!
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Best wishes,
    Heidi

This is an awesome reply. :smile: You are golden my friend.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Congrats girl on a job well done!!! :)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If your faith gives you the strength you need to succeed, you have no reason to apologize!

Great work!
  • carashirley
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! :happy:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Very nice! Congratulations!
  • determined2bfit13
    determined2bfit13 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congratulations you look great! I don't even have the courage to do a 5K. But I will get there!
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    great job, well done!
  • carashirley
    Options
    OMG OMG OMG!!! I won 3rd place in the 5K in my age division today!!!! I didn't even know it until I just looked at the time results!!!
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1. You look awesome! and 2. What a great time for walking 5k!! Awesome job chicka!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - What a great story - Wonderful! :smile:
  • allycat5723
    allycat5723 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You look so happy! Keep at it, and I will add you to my prayers :)
  • dcapulet
    dcapulet Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What a great feeling - congrats!!
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Congrats on winning third place!

Reaan
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!