Good Fat vs Bad Fat? Good Sugar vs Bad Sugar? Help!

Options
I am quite confused by some of the posts I read not only on here, but online, in the paper, or what I hear on TV. I have been doing a lot of research, but nothing seems concrete. Are there really such a thing as "good fats" and "good sugars"? I was always taught that fat and sugar was bad, and would lead to weight gain. But when I realized how much fat was in avocado's, a food I love, my mom told me it was "good fat". And when I found out my apple in the morning has 11 grams of sugar, I was told it was "natural sugar" so it's "good".

Is this true? I'd love some clarification! And please, don't talk down to me because I do not know this information. I find a lot of people on here are incredibly sweet and helpful, while others like degrading those who are still learning the ropes. So if you're going to be rude, back off....cause AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR DAT. ;)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently 'good' or 'bad'. Its just food. Work out your macros, and eat to hit those. Its really not more complicated than that.

I get my 120g of protein, my 60g fat, my carbs. After that, if I have the calories, and want a glass of wine an three poptarts, then its on.
  • Annie_R
    Annie_R Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "good" and 'bad' fats and/or sugars are jut generalisations. They are generic terms to provide a general description. What people need to remember, is that not everyone is the same. What works for some, doesn't work for others. People need to find what works for them, and then follow that. This will entail a lot of time, and will educate at the same time. For me moderation is the key. Portion sizes is a very big tool to get right in your journey. Yes, apples may have natural sugar, but it's still sugar and for those that need to watch their sugar intake for health reasons [eg diabetes] will not be able to over indulge in apples, whether they're good sugars or not. There are other people who may not be able to metabolise certain sugars [sucrose, fructose or glucose] and need to stay away from foods containing over certain levels. The same for fats, yes, there are good fats [nuts, seeds, olive oil, avocados etc] but that doesn't mean that you overload yourself with these fats.

I have no quick fix for you. You need to learn what you body needs and then provide for those needs.

What I've done, is change my thinking so that I'm not focusing on losing weight. I'm focused on leading a healthier life, which means:
    1. consuming food to fuel my body, good food, not crap food. Natural food, not food filled with preservatives and additives, fresh, alive food - veges from the garden, fruit from the orchard, organic meats. Staying away from so-called "diet" products, that are artificial and full of unhealthy ingredients.
    2. incorporating exercise into each day and finding something that is enjoyable - otherwise I won't do it!

Hope this helps, even if just a little . . .
  • chablahblah
    Options
    GOOD FATS:
    Polyunsaturated fats (including Omega 3 & 6)
    Found in- corn, soybean, safflower, sunflower oils (omega 6), and certain fish oils (omega 3)
    What it does- helps lower blood cholesterol level
    comments: don't worry about getting your fix of omega 6 because those oils are used in the processed foods we eat, tends to reduce "good cholesterol" (HDL)
    Monounsaturated fats
    Found in- veggie and nut oils (olive, peanut, canola)
    comments: this type of fat is better than polyunsaturated fats because it doesn't effect your "good cholesterol" (HDL)

BAD FATS:
    Saturated fat:
    Found in- Full fat dairy (whole milk, cream, butter, cheese), fatty meats (beef, veal, lamb, pork, ham), some veggie products (coconut oil and palm kernel oil)
    What it does- raises "bad cholesterol" levels (LDL)
    Trans fats:
    Found in- hydrogenated oils (margarine, shortening)
    What it does- increases "bad cholesterol" levels (LDL) and increase risk of heart disease

GOOD CARBOHYDRATES (that is what they are talking about when they say good or bad sugar):
    Complex Carbs-
    Found in- veggies, beans, legumes
    What it does- provides steady energy and helps you lose weight

BAD CARBOHYDRATES:
    Simple Carbs-
    Found in- sucrose (table sugar), lactose (milk sugar), fruit, bread and past products, sweets, anything with added table sugar
    What it does- spikes blood sugar providing fast energy
    comments: yes, fruit is a simple sugar but that does not mean it is bad for you. Fruit provides valuable vitamins and fiber which help you lose weight and stay healthy.

Sources: Prescription for Nutritional Healing (book)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    GOOD FATS:
    Found in- corn, soybean, safflower, sunflower oils (omega 6), and certain fish oils (omega 3)
    comments: don't worry about getting your fix of omega 6 because those oils are used in the processed foods we eat, tends to reduce "good cholesterol" (HDL)
    Monounsaturated fats
    comments: this type of fat is better than polyunsaturated fats because it doesn't effect your "good cholesterol" (HDL)

BAD FATS:
    Saturated fat:
    Found in- Full fat dairy (whole milk, cream, butter, cheese), fatty meats (beef, veal, lamb, pork, ham), some veggie products (coconut oil and palm kernel oil)
    Trans fats:
    What it does- increases "bad cholesterol" levels (LDL) and increase risk of heart disease

GOOD CARBOHYDRATES (that is what they are talking about when they say good or bad sugar):
    Complex Carbs-

BAD CARBOHYDRATES:
    Simple Carbs-
    Found in- sucrose (table sugar), lactose (milk sugar), fruit, bread and past products, sweets, anything with added table sugar
    comments: yes, fruit is a simple sugar but that does not mean it is bad for you. Fruit provides valuable vitamins and fiber which help you lose weight and stay healthy.

Excellent post, though I disagree with there being ANY "bad" carbohydrates.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    GOOD FATS:
    comments: don't about getting your fix of omega 6 because those oils are used in the processed foods we eat, tends to reduce "good cholesterol" (HDL)
    Monounsaturated fats

BAD FATS:
    Saturated fat:
    Trans fats:

Complex Carbs-

BAD CARBOHYDRATES:
    Simple Carbs-

^^^^No. On so many levels.

You're right, I didn't read the part about fats properly.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think "good" and "bad" are not the best descriptors. I think everything has to be in moderation. Like I ate only "good fats" I might be eating too many large fishes and end up with mercury poisoning, or if I avoid bad sugars, I might end up with osteoporosis because I'm not getting enough calcium from dairy. I think bad is more like "in smaller amounts" and good is "better if you can."

And also, things keep getting swapped in and out of these lists all the time. Before, coconut oil was SOOOO BAAAAD, but now people are saying it is SOOOO GOOOOD. So really, moderation is the safest bet.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    GOOD FATS:
    Monounsaturated fats

BAD FATS:
    Saturated fat:
    Trans fats:

Complex Carbs-

BAD CARBOHYDRATES:
    Simple Carbs-

come on... don't post this nonsense.
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Now now guys I'm sure she posted it with good intentions and she was nice enough to list them with examples and what not. Now with that said, being a newb and all, I would like to know why her post is "nonsense" and "no, on so many levels"? Judging by your profile pics you guys are doing well for yourselves. Just want an explanation why it's nonsense. Thank You!
  • PieraO
    PieraO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you have time to watch this series it gives a good description of research regarding fats and sugars and consolidates current knowledge - previously posted on forums by someone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    IMO, a "bad" fat would be trans-fats and poly unsaturated fats. This is in regards to health, not fat loss. These fats oxidize in the human body and that is never a good thing. Best to limit consumption. I say limit because to say never is a little unrealistic.

A "bad" sugar (in a certain context) would be HFCS. Sitting on the couch chugging cokes and gatorade IMO is not the best idea for health or fat loss. That said, if you are an athlete, or someone who trains like an athlete, or someone who exercises a lot, that same "bad" sugar eaten at the right time, (post workout as an example) becomes a "good" sugar.

So as always, IMO, the answer to these questions most of the time is... it depends.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    GOOD FATS:
    Monounsaturated fats

BAD FATS:
    Saturated fat:
    Trans fats:

Complex Carbs-

BAD CARBOHYDRATES:
    Simple Carbs-

Seriously???
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Now now guys I'm sure she posted it with good intentions and she was nice enough to list them with examples and what not. Now with that said, being a newb and all, I would like to know why her post is "nonsense" and "no, on so many levels"? Judging by your profile pics you guys are doing well for yourselves. Just want an explanation why it's nonsense. Thank You!

It's nonsense because it arbitrarily labels foods "good" and "bad" with no thought to context or dosage. For example, saturated fat; necessary for optimum health in the proper context and dose, too much is unhealthy. Just one of many examples that could be pulled from that list.

With the possible exception of trans fats, no food is inherently good or bad. It all depends on how much and how often and what the whole rest of your nutrition picture looks like. Hope that helps.
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    Ok, so IS there a reasonably "safe" sugar to look for in food, seeing that almost all processed foods have sugar or a substitute sugar in some form? Which ones would you avoid? I'm trying to steer clear of artificial sweeteners, but it's difficult to do, especially when all of the lower caloric treat-foods seem to have them? Aspartame being one that I'd like to avoid (as an avid but trying-to-quit diet pepsi drinker).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    IMO, a "bad" fat would be trans-fats and poly unsaturated fats. This is in regards to health, not fat loss. These fats oxidize in the human body and that is never a good thing. Best to limit consumption. I say limit because to say never is a little unrealistic.

A "bad" sugar (in a certain context) would be HFCS. Sitting on the couch chugging cokes and gatorade IMO is not the best idea for health or fat loss. That said, if you are an athlete, or someone who trains like an athlete, or someone who exercises a lot, that same "bad" sugar eaten at the right time, (post workout as an example) becomes a "good" sugar.

So as always, IMO, the answer to these questions most of the time is... it depends.

Why does paleo promote grass fed meat then, which has higher amounts of trans fats?
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Why does paleo promote grass fed meat then, which has higher amounts of trans fats?

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-health-benefits-of-grass-fed-meat-part-2/

Because the trans fat found in grass fed meat actually acts like CLA in the body which promotes fat loss is the short answer.
  • redhotfirebird
    Options
    Opinions on this link? Is this all true? :(
    http://www.alive.com/articles/view/16577/good_sugars_bad_sugars

So if you want to use sugar in drink or food (assuming the recipe will work with it), then what sugar is best choice? I kinda lean towards raw honey comb if I can get it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Added sugar is not good for you. Additives are not good for you. Eating real food, will avoid most thing people label as "bad" and avoid confusion on your part. Having a tablespoon of sugar isn't' going to hurt you. but eating sugar promotes sugar cravings in many people. talking added sugar here. Natural sugars in fruits and veggies are good. The sugar added to some peanut butter (for ex)should be avoided (plus it makes it taste icky imo)

I would disagree that fatty meat is bad for you overall. but eating a large portion of high fat meat daily is bad for you. Limiting this meat in exchange for leaner cuts of meat, such as shoulder shanks cuts, chicken, turkey and fish will help you lose weight faster. Rule of thumb when buying red meat, is get the cut that gets the exercise, they will be the leaner cuts and healthier for you.

I'm not in the "no food is bad for you" camp. There are unhealthy foods out there. The majority of them being either man-altered or man-created. If it's not out of the produce section or from your butcher, read those labels. The best way to figure out your bodies needs is to try different ways of eating. I find a distinct correlation between weight retention (not so-much weight gain) and sugar in my world. When I get derailed from my eating habits and eat the sugary food i don't lose and I find myself hitting up the M&M jar at work. When I stay true t what I like to eat, I have no desire to hit up that jar. Can even be in the same room with it.

Oh and dairy is not bad for you. She's probably referring to the fat found in dairy, but you need the healthy fats for proper health. And full fat dairy is generally speaking healthier for you, then their reduced fat or low fat versions as there is less (or no) additives in them.

Also beer and alcohol.. not really great for weight loss. (yes i'm aware a million people will now post their daily beer choice and their weight loss in spite of it) I'm not going to tell you not to drink it. I do, but if you do expect slower losses.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/the-health-benefits-of-grass-fed-meat-part-2/

Because the trans fat found in grass fed meat actually acts like CLA in the body which promotes fat loss is the short answer.

CLA is a trans fat, also the current body of literature shows it to be pretty worthless for body comp.

So are trans fats good or bad, the poster I responded to, sad they were bad.