Scary decision, need some encouragement

Options
I've been overweight my ENTIRE life. Those that have been here know that your life ultimately revolves around the scale. Your self esteem is in direct proportion with the direction the number goes. I have worked hard, mentally and physically to conquer the demons that made me reach 323lbs. I've lost 143lbs and could probably lose another 20. I have been battling with myself the last 6 months to get those 20 off but I can seem to do it. I feel like I'm fighting my body the whole time. After a new bench PR of 230lbs on Thursday I started thinking. I LOVE being strong! My body is made for strength and building muscle. So I have decided to take a leap of faith and throw the scale out the window (or give it to my trainer at least) and focus purely on building those two. I am terrified of gaining weight since I've spent my whole life focused on losing it. I've been reassured by my trainer that if we do this the right way I won't gain too much and I'll get leaner...plus the best part, I'll get stronger! So I'd love some stories of success in this area with pictures of course :) and just for comparison sake, I currently weight 180, am 5'6" and have 26% body fat.

Replies

• OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it! For sure more muscle will be a good change even if your weight stays level or goes up a little. If it's real strength you want, I think a starting strength or crossfit based workout is the way to go.

Whatever you choose, good luck with getting strong!

Osric
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    230lb bench press that is incredible. You're over 1.25x BW which is amazing. In fact, that's considered well into "elite" status for lifting. Keep up the good work, I think you will see good results both progress-wise and body composition-wise.

Edit: I just realized, that's almost as much as I can bench and I am a 6'3" male. Great work, you should enter a power lifting competition. I'm willing to bet that's better than the record for your state.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh I should add that I've been lifting for almost three years with the help of my trainer :)
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You lost a whole person- you are awesome.

Don't throw that scale out the window, you are so strong now you might hit someone and hurt them-:laugh:

I jump on my scale everyday. I even have a talking one, it says "Are you ready?" "Stand still" "You're weight is xxx pounds." Sometimes she is my friend, sometimes she is a real b*tch!

So I am not there yet, not anywhere close.
  • andreae13
    Options
    230lb bench press that is incredible. You're over 1.25x BW which is amazing. In fact, that's considered well into "elite" status for lifting. Keep up the good work, I think you will see good results both progress-wise and body composition-wise.

Thanks! That was kinda the turning point for me. I feel like I'm wasting my gift of strength to just see that smaller number on the scale.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my ENTIRE life. Those that have been here know that your life ultimately revolves around the scale. Your self esteem is in direct proportion with the direction the number goes. I have worked hard, mentally and physically to conquer the demons that made me reach 323lbs. I've lost 143lbs and could probably lose another 20. I have been battling with myself the last 6 months to get those 20 off but I can seem to do it. I feel like I'm fighting my body the whole time. After a new bench PR of 230lbs on Thursday I started thinking. I LOVE being strong! My body is made for strength and building muscle. So I have decided to take a leap of faith and throw the scale out the window (or give it to my trainer at least) and focus purely on building those two. I am terrified of gaining weight since I've spent my whole life focused on losing it. I've been reassured by my trainer that if we do this the right way I won't gain too much and I'll get leaner...plus the best part, I'll get stronger! So I'd love some stories of success in this area with pictures of course :) and just for comparison sake, I currently weight 180, am 5'6" and have 26% body fat.

If your goal is strength then keep lifting heavy. I would keep an eye on the body fat % and also get dunked for hydrostatic testing if you haven't already. 26% at your weight is over 130lbs of lean mass and might be a little off. Good luck with your goals.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I creeped your pictures....
    WOW! Fantastic definition!
  • andreae13
    Options
    I creeped your pictures....
    WOW! Fantastic definition!

Thanks! I REALLY need to take new ones. Gonna have my hubby do a "before" pic to help with comparison.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever makes you happy. Knowledge is power, so I don't understand why you would throw away the scale. But again, sounds like you made some decisions and us peeps are rooting for you!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,684 Member
    Options
    The trick is keeping it off, and it sounds like you've found the key. Congratulations!
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Impressive weight loss and impressive strength. And to think I can barely bench press the 45# bar. Don't worry about the scales. This isn't about how much you weigh but how much you can lift. If you are happy with the way your body looks, at this point, that is all that really matters. Keep up the good work. You are quite the inspiration and your pictures are amazing.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    As I said before, many of my friends continue to get smaller without losing weight. You do what makes YOU happy. If struggling against the scale isn't making you happy, then STOP.

...Oh, and what Dope said.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    It's totally legit to reevaluate your goals and figure out what is most important to you at this moment. By all means, focus on strength and ditch the scale. If you decide at some point in the future that you want to cut more, it's not like you won't be allowed to.

Honestly, I have my goal set for 135 right now, but I figure that once I hit 150-155 I'll say "screw it" and focus on other things. My goals, my body, I can do whatever I want.

Your goals, your body, you do what makes you happy and proud of yourself :flowerforyou:

And holy crap, your bench is amazing!!!!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I say put the scale away. I had to for a different reason. I was dieting and working out, trimming down and getting results, but the scale hardly budged. It would mess with my mind too much when I didn't see a loss. You've shown what you can accomplish. Don't be nervous. Just keep doing what you're doing. It's obviously working :smile:
  • andreae13
    Options
    I just realized, that's almost as much as I can bench and I am a 6'3" male. Great work, you should enter a power lifting competition. I'm willing to bet that's better than the record for your state.

I never thought of that, maybe I should look into it :happy:
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Your self esteem is in direct proportion with the direction the number goes.

This is sooo true. But wow! Look what you have accomplished. If I could lift that much I would only be focusing on those numbers! Incredible! Go girl, RAWR!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If your goal is strength then keep lifting heavy. I would keep an eye on the body fat % and also get dunked for hydrostatic testing if you haven't already. 26% at your weight is over 130lbs of lean mass and might be a little off. Good luck with your goals.

It's high for a female - but not that unusual at her height to have 130lb+ LBM.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    That's a CRAZY strong bench!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I just realized, that's almost as much as I can bench and I am a 6'3" male. Great work, you should enter a power lifting competition. I'm willing to bet that's better than the record for your state.

I never thought of that, maybe I should look into it :happy:
    DO IT!!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    That's a CRAZY strong bench!

Right? I do 70 kg 1rm (roughly 150 lbs). I thought I was badass...

OP: You are one strong and badass chicka. Like Dope said, check the competition and get into it, if you like.