Whats your favorite squash recipes?

Selunca
Selunca Posts: 208 Member
I really want to include squash in our family diet. I'm pretty excited, my daughter loves what little squash we eat now (chopped up in our stir fry) but my husband is very ..eh.

So I'm asking for your delicious squash recipes to help me out! Pictures are great too. :3

Replies

• chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Ok. Cut up your squash into slices (I like smaller pieces, but the overall size is up to you). Dice/mince some onions as well. Put some olive oil in pan, heat it up and throwin the squash and onions. Add some curry or cajun seasoning. Now you can eat this along (once it gets soft) or you can cook some brats and then slice then and add them to the squash and onion mix (cook down awhile). Either way I used to make this all the time and it was very tasty!
  • Selunca
    Oh the adding of brats is a wonderful idea. My husband would love that!
  • what kind of squash?
  • Selunca
    Any, but preferable to those common in the winter.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Hi, I have a great squash casserole that got rave reviews from everyone who tried it. It's very flexible, so you can trade out squash for whatever is on sale. I use 3 different squash and a sweet potato or two for sweetness. My fave's to use are butternut, acorn, and delicata, but as I said, it's versatile I also include a sweet potato (yam) to add natural sweetness and color.

1/2 butternut squash
    1/2 acorn squash
    1/2 to 1 delicata squash,(depending on size)
    1 to 2 sweet potatoes
    2 cup shredded mozzarella or mexican cotija cheese
    1 T chopped fresh basil
    1/2 T rubbed sage
    4 T unsalted butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
    2 T flour
    1/2 C heavy cream
    olive oil spray

Cut down the baking time by partially pre-cooking the squash in the microwave. Cut each squash in half, remove the seeds, wrap the squash with plastic wrap, and cook 1/2 squash on high for around 4 minutes for each half. Save the other half for another meal. Cut the sweet potato in half and pre-cook for 4 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove the wrap and peel the loosened skin from the squashes and the sweet potato. Evenly slice the squash and sweet potato into half-inch slices, keeping the slices consistent so that they will all finish cooking at the same time.

Add sage and basil to shredded cheese and toss together. Reserve 1 cup.

Use an 8x8 casserole (. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray casserole with a light coat of olive oil.

Make a basic bechamel sauce: in a medium saucepan, heat 4 tablespoons unsalted butter until bubbly and just turning brown. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and wisk until incorporated. Add salt and pepper. Slowly stir in 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir over low heat until sauce thickens and clings to the spoon. Remove from heat.

Place a layer of butternut squash, overlapping the slices. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture. Add a layer of sweet potato, then more cheese. Add a layer of acorn squash, then cheese, then delicata squash. Pour the sauce over the top. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Increase temperature to broil. Remove casserole and sprinkle the reserved cheese over top. Return to oven and broil for 5 to 10 minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbly. Makes approximately 8 to 10 1 cup servings.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    squash is one of things you can hide in lots of different kinds of food! I grate it into pasta sauce, (esp bolognaise, lasagne) or stews, soups etc. It's delicious baked too. I make a pie crust which is mashed squash, chickpea flour and a little olive oil, moulded into a pie pan.
    Your options are limited only by your imagination
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Roasted veggies:

dice potatoes
    cut up onion
    cut up zucchini/yellow squash
    mushrooms
    bell peppers, red or yellow or both
    salt, pepper, garlic powder, ect.

spray Pam in a baking dish start baking the spuds at 425 after 20 minutes add the other veggies for about 25 minutes

Yummy with grilled chicken and salad
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    I LOVE butternut squash soup- some of the best I've had seem to be made with apple! I've never actually made it but it's on my list for the winter. Google recipes!
    I make healthy "candy" acorn squash for myself- it's amazing and so easy. Cut squash in half, scoop out the seedy part, rub cut side with light butter (I use brummel + brown yogurt spread) and drizzle real maple syrup on top! I usually use 0.5 tbsp buttery spread and 0.5 tbsp syrup per squash. You can also sprinkle with a little brown sugar and cinnamon, either with or instead of the syrup. Then roast the squash, cut-side-up at 400 degrees covered with foil for 50 minutes, then remove foil and roast another 10 minutes. should be easy to slide a fork in, and pools of yummy buttery sweet goodness will form in the centers! Eat with a spoon, scooping bites out of the skin and getting a little sweet buttery goodness with each bite. Heaven!

You can also do something similar with chopped butternut squash- just rub with butter, drizzle with syrup and/or sugar and roast on a foil-lined pan until tender.

You could try using sugar-free syrup but it wouldn't be as tasty. I like to use a small amount of real syrup before cooking, and then while I'm eating it sometimes I add a little sugar-free Cary's syrup if I run out of yummy topping :)

You can try spaghetti squash too (google for recipes), and I've heard wonderful things about roasted Kabocha squash but I haven't tried it yet!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    pasta sauce (no tomatoes) (sorry for the lack of measurements, but I always do this to taste and desired consistency)
    cook winter squash (I like butternut best in this, but acorn, Hubbard, etc. should all work) (I roast, but boiling or steaming should work)
    mash the flesh and thin (just a little, you don't want it runny; it should be as thick as tomato sauce, or a little thicker) with a combination of hot chicken broth/stock and cream, milk, or half-and-half
    season with salt, fresh herbs (I like sage, but I think rosemary, thyme or oregano would all work), and, if you like, a little grated parmesan (or just top with parmesan after you've added the sauce to the pasta).
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    I love squash soups, they warm me up and keep me full for a while. Plus they are usually relatively simple. However, I also love "sausage" stuffed acorn squash (I actually used ground beef not sausage), which might be something your husband could get into. You basically cut the top off an acorn squash, hollow out the center seeds and stuff it with a mixture of beef, mustard, relish, bread crumbs, etc and bake it. I don't have the exact recipe, but it and similar stuffed acorn squash recipes can be found online.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    My favorite is very simple. Cube a butternut squash, toss with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne. Spread out on a baking dish and cook for 30-45 minutes or until soft (at 400 degrees). Be sure to toss every 10 minutes or so to achieve even browning. YUM!
  • Selunca
    Thank you all very much, I've gotten some great ideas and cannot WAIT to try some.
    (Ironically after posting this a co-worker brought in her version of 'candy' acorn squash which was to DIE for.)