Am I experiencing a plateau?

Options
Hi!
I'm new here but have been going to the gym for about 3 months now. My problem is that even though I've been going to the gym regularly (3-6 times a week) and been dieting, I have not experienced any weight loss. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what are the ways to remedy this. My gym routine for the first two months was a mix of cardio (about 20-30 minutes of cardio) and strength training. Recently though I've been doing more cardio and less strength. (About 35-45 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week)

I'm 5'5, weighing 138lbs. I used to weigh more a few years ago but I stopped eating carbs and lost weight but ever since then my weight has never really changed. I didn't do too much exercise though, just really stopped eating a lot. I don't know if I've reached a plateau or am doing something wrong. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you!!

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    The first things you need to look at are:
    1. How much do you eat? You are not very big so you might be eating at maintenance without realizing
    2. How accurate are you tracking calories in and calories out - for the same reason
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. I did a couple of really low calorie, no carb days, and that seemed to jump start the weight lose again. I ate more celery, carrots, salad and grilled chicken and tuna for the protein boost. Like most other suggestions in here, this worked for me, may not work for everyone. Then again, I don't recommend fasting, but that's just me.

My diary is open. Was stuck in the low 160s for a while.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm new here but have been going to the gym for about 3 months now. My problem is that even though I've been going to the gym regularly (3-6 times a week) and been dieting, I have not experienced any weight loss. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what are the ways to remedy this. My gym routine for the first two months was a mix of cardio (about 20-30 minutes of cardio) and strength training. Recently though I've been doing more cardio and less strength. (About 35-45 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week)

I'm 5'5, weighing 138lbs. I used to weigh more a few years ago but I stopped eating carbs and lost weight but ever since then my weight has never really changed. I didn't do too much exercise though, just really stopped eating a lot. I don't know if I've reached a plateau or am doing something wrong. Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you!!
    You don't say anything about logging your food without accurate logging you have no real idea what amount syour eating. So my guess is your eating far more than you think. Also at 138 pounds at 5'5" you're at the haevier end of the normal weight range so as you in reality wont have much to lose it will take a long time
  • little_red19
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses!

I actually am pretty loose with my calorie count and don't log everything. I'm aware of what I eat and try to control my portions but only loosely count calories. I never realized it could be such a hindrance in my weight loss. Definitely going to change that now.

Thanks everyone!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Aside from being accurate about how much you eat, I also recommend using a daily weigh in with a good graphing tool like trendweight.com to get the signal from the scale sorted out. This way you can lose weight at a gentle pace and still see it on the graph, while just scale values are pretty much worthless and demotivating.

Osric

4w.png