What is a Plateau/ Stall

Options
hi to all
what exactly is a plateau??
is it something that definitely happens to everyone on weight loss
how is it possible if people are eating at a deficit and not losing weight.
because i see it over and over again on message boards so i am really concerned.

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Depends who you ask, of course.
    I'd define a plateau as a period in which you don't lose weight. I would also say they are usually FAKE plateaus, because your overall weight loss doesn't stop, you just retain water for long periods of time (due to the monthly cycle, exercise) but then it all drops in a day and goes back to what you'd EXPECT to be weighing.

Check this post for graphs explaining it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs

If you're not losing weight for LONG stretches of time (over a month) then you're likely not creating the deficit you should - bar some medical conditions that are rare enough to not be the usual cause.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    People claim they hit a plateau when they haven't lost any weight for a few weeks "despite doing everything right" or saying things like "I haven't changed anything, but I stopped losing weight!" Personally, I don't believe in plateaus. I have 2 (related) explanations for plateaus.

1) people who don't truly measure their food. they either estimate a lot (1 slice of cheese, or 1 average burger- these things can vary so much! and people who eat at restaurants frequently never really know what they're getting). People who underestimate what they eat might lose weight at first for sure! Say someone thinks they're eating 1400 calories, but really their food adds up to 1800 because they're eyeballing portions. They might lose weight steadily at 1800 until they hit a certain weight, and then they stop losing because for that weight, they need to eat less to lose now. But they think they're eating 1400 calories- and if they were, they would be losing weight- so they don't understand why they aren't losing anymore. How to avoid this? Use a food scale and weigh everything you eat! works for me, and it's much easier + more accurate than dirtying measuring cups and spoons! "1 slice of cheese" is pretty meaningless; 12g of cheese is precise!

2) As we lose weight, we have to change our strategies. If you lose 20 lbs at a rate of 2 lbs a week eating 1500 calories, your new lower weight will burn fewer calories 24/7 and your exercise burns will be lower as well. If you keep everything the same, your weight loss will slow down as you lose. That's why we have to keep CHANGING IT UP! Some people may have to reduce calories, others increase exercise- do what works for you.

If you hit a "plateau" - recalculate your BMR, adjust your calorie goals, maybe add another day of exercise or up the intensity, and make sure you're not estimating or eating out very often!

Edited to add- some people with medical conditions or on certain medications may struggle to lose weight despite actually "doing everything right", so definitely be sensitive to people who have other health issues going on!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    People claim they hit a plateau when they haven't lost any weight for a few weeks "despite doing everything right" or saying things like "I haven't changed anything, but I stopped losing weight!" Personally, I don't believe in plateaus. I have 2 (related) explanations for plateaus.

1) people who don't truly measure their food. they either estimate a lot (1 slice of cheese, or 1 average burger- these things can vary so much! and people who eat at restaurants frequently never really know what they're getting). People who underestimate what they eat might lose weight at first for sure! Say someone thinks they're eating 1400 calories, but really their food adds up to 1800 because they're eyeballing portions. They might lose weight steadily at 1800 until they hit a certain weight, and then they stop losing because for that weight, they need to eat less to lose now. But they think they're eating 1400 calories- and if they were, they would be losing weight- so they don't understand why they aren't losing anymore. How to avoid this? Use a food scale and weigh everything you eat! works for me, and it's much easier + more accurate than dirtying measuring cups and spoons! "1 slice of cheese" is pretty meaningless; 12g of cheese is precise!

2) As we lose weight, we have to change our strategies. If you lose 20 lbs at a rate of 2 lbs a week eating 1500 calories, your new lower weight will burn fewer calories 24/7 and your exercise burns will be lower as well. If you keep everything the same, your weight loss will slow down as you lose. That's why we have to keep CHANGING IT UP! Some people may have to reduce calories, others increase exercise- do what works for you.

If you hit a "plateau" - recalculate your BMR, adjust your calorie goals, maybe add another day of exercise or up the intensity, and make sure you're not estimating or eating out very often!

Edited to add- some people with medical conditions or on certain medications may struggle to lose weight despite actually "doing everything right", so definitely be sensitive to people who have other health issues going on!

I agree with this. I mean, my weight stalls every month for 3 weeks, but I know it's normal due to water gains from my cycle and whatnot. Lost 75% of the weight I want to lose so far without real plateau... just very annoying stalls, which I know won't last.