Low cal/less cal pizza base?

Options
Hey everyone!

I just wondered if anyone knows of a low fat/low calorie pizza base I could try?! I have a bad craving for pizza all the time at the moment and thought if I could find a base that isn't too fattening I could make my own with half fat cheese etc and it'd be a nice treat but still not too naughty!

Thanks
Tink
XxX

Replies

• capturethemoments3
    Options
    I like to use pita as the crust when I make pizza and it is really good!
  • hallusmc
    hallusmc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    how about making mini pizza on the 100 calorie sandwich thins??
  • Micke31
    Options
    We love to use a pita as crust, low fat ranch dressing as the sauce, cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and onions as our veggies. Add a little low fat cheese and gently place on the barbeque or in the oven for approx. 10 minutes. If you like thin crust pizza, you'll love this. It satisfies my pizza craving but is much lower fat.
    Hope that helps!
  • Buccinator
    Options
    I use naan, which is a little higher in calories, but I just love it. I make a traditional pizza (red sauce, spinach, mushrooms, maybe Canadian bacon, low fat shredded mozzarella), but my favorite is BBQ sauce, thinly sliced apple, shredded chicken, and low fat cheddar cheese. Even the picky boyfriend will eat it. Well, not the veggie one, but I can make a pepperoni and cheese only one for him. :wink:
  • pandalady8
    pandalady8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When I have a pizza craving, I do two whole wheat tortillas, tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and turkey pepperoni. It ends up being quite filling and definitely satisfies my craving with a pair of pizzas that are all total about 450 calories!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    It sounds silly but it tastes good and its low fat and lower calorie but use beer in the crust instead of oil if you're making it yourself. I like whole wheat and rice four instead of regular flour personally. Pita works great too, or thin sliced whole grain bagette :) I don't like low fat cheese, it is usually too high in sodium for me.

Pizza does sound good!
  • fitnessfoodtravel
    fitnessfoodtravel Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For a thin crust pizza, I use the Ezekiel wraps. Each wrap is 180 calories and it is all healthy stuff for you. My favourite toppings are: tomato sauce, balsamic roasted shallots, red peppers, chickpeas, and 2 tbsp's of feta. We have also done one with turkey sausage, thinly sliced genoa salami, roasted tomatoes and mozzerella.
    You really save on the grease and salt.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Try a pizza wrap. get a tortilla wrap, spread with tomato purée, the usual herbs and spices then your preferred usual toppings (minus the cheese) sliced extra thin so you can roll it. Once rolled sprinkle on a little strong flavoured cheese and pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes. pizza taste without all the calories or fat and because its rolled you still get a little of the satisfying stodgy feeling. If you like them thin and crispy bake the wrap for a few minutes first, put on the topping then pop back into oven unrolled for 10-15 minutes.

10-15 minutes is fine if you are not using any raw meats

Edited to add my satisfying pizza wrap recipe

Discovery - Healthy N'white Wraps
    Sainsbury's - Tomato Puree 1 1/2 tablespoon
    Mushrooms - Raw, 2 thin slices
    Onions - Raw, 1 slice
    Generic Tomato - Tomato Raw, Red, 4 slices
    Generic - 5 Bell Peppers/Red/Yellow Strips, 1/8 cup
    Ham - Smoked Thin Sliced 2 slices
    Garlic - Raw, 1 clove
    Mccormick - Italian Herb Seasoning 1/2 teaspoon
    Cathedral City - Mature Yet Mellow Cheddar Cheese, 20 g

Total calories 363
    Carbs 46
    Fat 11
    Protein 17
  • sairanasir
    sairanasir Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    you can get the 100 calorie flat bread from costco - it has flax seeds in there which give out an extra flavor!
  • twinsmomma02
    twinsmomma02 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Ragu Light on one of those Arnold Sandwich thins!!! Even my kids love them!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I got a recipe on the NHS website for mini pizzas with bacon using an English Muffin base.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We love to use a pita as crust, low fat ranch dressing as the sauce, cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers and onions as our veggies. Add a little low fat cheese and gently place on the barbeque or in the oven for approx. 10 minutes. If you like thin crust pizza, you'll love this. It satisfies my pizza craving but is much lower fat.
    Hope that helps!
    This sounds fab! I love chicken pizzas but nobody else in my house does. So I can order them their boring old pepperoni take out and I can have this!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    right on Fitnessfoodtravel!! Ezekiel wraps rock
  • Tinkaboo
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone who posted! I had pizza for lunch today using a wholemeal pitta bread as the base and it was scrummy!

Thanks!

XxX
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    A Flat Out wrap sprayed with a tiny bit of Pam and baked till golden brown makes a wonderful pizza crust! So yummy!