Worst restaurant experience?

Options
I was just watching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares the other day and was...a little disturbed :noway:

Personally, I don't go out for meals that often so I can't really recall any too awful experiences myself. Although it is annoying that my family only ever goes to the same Chinese place where the food is...ok, I guess. Kind of average in general, some dishes are a little bland, and nothing is really authentic. Oh, and there was a (kinda funny) time at a local schnitzel bar where the poor waitress had her skirt blown up by the wind in full view of all the outdoor customers!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any *real* horror dining stories? What made it so bad? Do share :smile:

Replies

• emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were at one of our favorite Chinease food places having lunch when *HORK* I pulled a HUGE *GORK* wad of HAIR, *ILK* Yes, HAIR *ULK* out of of my dinner that I had moments before been EATING!!!!! *BARFBARFBARFBARFBARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Went to subway for an oven roasted chicken sub. I ate about half of it.. then I looked down to take my next bite and there was a dead fly in my sub!!!! If I had bitten on even a ml more I would have been eating fly! It was so horrible and I was so grossed out I cried! Havent been able to eat a sub since!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    One time, my sister found a piece of glass in her food and a little while later my 3 year old nephew vomited all over the table.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Live caterpillar uncovered while eating a salad.

If nothing else, I figure it meant the salad fixings were fresh.

Edited to add that it's probably best that most people don't have a clue what goes on some of restaurant kitchens.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    Hair doesn't really bother me when I think of all the starving people out there..

But one time at Waffle House I waited over 10 min for her to take my order. Then over 10 min for her to bring my drink and food (only person waiting on food, they make it in front of you). She forgets my waffle, and mine and my 1 year olds eggs are RAW. She brings me new food.. then I wait over 10 minues for a water refill and to tell her my waffle was RAW.

So, Finally I get up and go to her andtell her i hope she has enough tips to cover it all because I wasn't paying and walked out.

The whole time she was chatting and ****ing off with her friend.

Also, The table next to me the girl is lactose intolerant she didnt hold the cheese on something. She was all messed up.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Subway, when they lean over your sandwich to get ingredients from bins and their gross, disgusting aprons drag across your sub. I wonder if they wear their aprons in the bathroom. I don't eat subway because of this and their meat is that pressed and formed conglomeration.

Bob Evans, in another state. Waitress was named Carol, I'll never forget her. Her teeth were rotten, she had a big wad of snuff in her mouth, and she sprayed spit whenever she talked, all I could think of was the disgusting tooth rot and tobacco she was spitting all over my food when she was passing our food out and asking who had what. She also had black dirt crusted under her fingernails. I didn't eat my food.

When tornadoes went through Alabama and Georgia 2-3 years ago in the spring. I was driving to Florida with my girls and we were in Georgia. We had been looking forward to Bojangles. We stopped at Bojangles near Ringold Georgia, and were stuck in that restaurant as tornadoes went by. It was a terrible experience and I looked around at the interesting array of patrons and seriously thought my girls and I were going to die with these people. The tornadoes actually did tear down a restaurant and part of a hotel not far from where we were, there was a loss of lives as well.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I was at BJs a while back, I ordered a calzone. It took FOREVER to get it (somewhere between 45 minutes to an hour). It was lukewarm but I was really hungry and it still tasted good. Then I bit into a huge glob of raw dough :frown: :sick:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Two experiences for me -

One was at a chain pub. A woman fell down the stairs very drunk. I had to step over her to get past. My friend went to get the manager & they preceded to bodily drag her back to her table. I ordered a steak (very well done) it turned up raw. Fortunately the blood was some what mopped up by my salad. Cut the steak open to reveal a massive web of fat through it.

2nd was on holiday. This guy with 4 teeth who was drinking beer at 8am went to wake his wife up to cook our breakfasts. She came down in her dressing gown & nightie to cook our food. The breakfast looked disgusting & swimming in oil/fats. We though we could at least eat the toast & jam, but we then noticed their dog tied up near us covered in ****e :sick:
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, but I can't seem to right at the moment. Anyways, several years ago when we lived in SC close to Goose Creek, we went out for dinner. Back then in those days, that didn't happen a lot because we were young, military, in debt, and BROKE. But this night, we decided we were going out! So, we went to this nice big chain place right on the main drag not far from the Mall. It was... awful. Our waiter, a dude, just was awful. He never brought drinks, he kept forgetting things, and then when he went to bring out our food, I notice there is blood running down his arm. BLOOD!!! Not ketchup, not wine.... BLOOD! I said, "Uhhh... is that blood on your arm? What is up with your hand?" He said he got a cut and just wrapped it up.... WITH DUCT TAPE. No. JUST NO. There was so much wrong with that night and then dude touching our food with his bloody hand and not even bandaged correctly! We didn't eat and asked for a manager and he just acted like we were nuts for caring!!!! We paid and left. Why did we pay? Young and dumb. If I had it to do over, I'd have left without a word and not paid and then called corporate to complain. *shiver* I hate just thinking about it!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just a pet peeve, but I hate it when someone is mopping the floor when I am trying to eat, and then they leave their dirty gray bucket with greasy gray water and giant mop head near my table. I just lose my appetite.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I for one don't like to complain when eating out though. Just in case they do anything awful to my food.
  • RangiRose
    Options
    I found 2 big blow-flies in my overcooked beans...
    Another time a slug crawled out my salad :noway: .
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    As someone who's worked hospitality for a while, AND is a bit of a germ freak.. You're better off not knowing. haha Mostly just small stuff like very minimal hand washing, but I'm very particular food wise! Things would probably be better if health and safety didn't give restaurants a heads up before they come!
  • bridgew24
    bridgew24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Personally my boyfriend is a bit of a foodie so we've tried the fancy and the filthy; Have had everything from raw meat, getting COMPLETELY the wrong meal, flies in drinks.. and HORRIBLE service! I'm pretty forgiving and understand 'bad days' working in the industry myself, you get some nasty customers, but there is no excuse to be out and out rude to customers right off the bat!
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    As someone who's worked hospitality for a while, AND is a bit of a germ freak.. You're better off not knowing. haha Mostly just small stuff like very minimal hand washing, but I'm very particular food wise! Things would probably be better if health and safety didn't give restaurants a heads up before they come!

I was a server for 15 years. I've even worked in Las Vegas (I worked as a server there because the money was better than a professional job). Things I've learned. I'm a huge germ freak, so I don't eat out much.

* make sure they use the ice scoops, I've seen other servers refill a drink and just take the used cup and scoop it through the ice
    * if you ever eat at buffets, or are tempted to, take a look around the restaurant, if there are people who don't wash their hands, all their lovey is all over the utensils
    * if the glasses have weird, tiny hard things on the outside, it means their dishwasher water is dirty and needs to be changed, congratulations, you're drinking out of a dirty glass
    * salads, the servers many times will just grab the lettuce or salad mix with their bare hands, that have touched money, those dirty check holders, dirty plates, etc
    * if a restaurant bathroom is gross, so is their kitchen
    * the line where food is prepared is a very hot, crowded place with lots of dripping sweat, if your foods a little salty, it may be sweat and not salt
    * if you find a server you like who you've casually conversed with and you know they're a germ freak, ask for their section, only eat when they're working. They appreciate your germ phobia and you will tip them well for their special concern of germs and it's just a win/win. If my kids' friends work so,e where and I know them and their mom and they know me, I go when they're working

This list is just off the top of my head. I honestly don't eat out that often due to my issues.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we are a little more up on health and safety in the UK, because I've never really had any issues. I once had a caterpillar in my salad in a pub, but the salad was clean so I assume the caterpillar was too big to get washed through the sieve.

The worst experiences I've had with food have been outside of the UK. I went on a cruise this year (American cruise line company) and despite the ship giving everyone hand sanitiser at every door to cafes/restaurants I saw many disgusting people purposefully try and go around them and sneak past when they were serving other people, or wipe the sanitiser on their clothing/let it slide to the floor rather than actually using it.

I then saw lots of people using their hands at the buffet. This was all while there was a warning out on noro virus.

A few weeks ago I was in holland in a nice hotel, being on a diet I decided to try the vegetarian option, a walnut & avocado salad followed by a roasted veggie pie which sounded very nice.

The menu was in English so the waiter had no excuse to mix my order up, he served me first with a fish salad...I'd have been really annoyed if I had actually been a vegetarian. He noticed and took it back, next I got my salad with Avacado that we actually saw the chef slice, but was rock hard and inedible, how a chef could be so incompetent I don't know, the waiter didn't seem bothered when I told him.

The main course was similarly bad,soggy pastry on top of some bland watery courgette and peppers. I guess it serves me right for thinking a Hotel could serve a decent veggie meal!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were at one of our favorite Chinease food places having lunch when *HORK* I pulled a HUGE *GORK* wad of HAIR, *ILK* Yes, HAIR *ULK* out of of my dinner that I had moments before been EATING!!!!! *BARFBARFBARFBARFBARF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

omgosh!!!!! Even one hair makes me want to vomit (even if I think its mine, lol)! (Yes I know that's wierd lol). I cant even imagine a WAD of it!!!! Oh geez, that is gross!!!! Poor thing :(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Not gross, but I remember waiting 1.5 hour for our dessert to arrive in a pizzeria in Oxford when I was 8!

And I met a family friend who worked in the health department once. He inspected kitchens (in France). And told us stories... It was disgusting and fascinating.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I should never have opened this thread... I never want to eat out again!

I've found rocks in salads, but I guess that's bound to happen...
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    We were in a Mexico at a border town, at the time my husband had been living in central Mexico for months and really wanted Italian food. We found an Italian buffet the first bad sign was it was empty so that shouldve told us something. My husband and his grandmother served themselves first then i went to get my food. I was at the time also trying to eat healthy so after i got some pasta i piled up on fruit. I saw what i thought was a small roach but then figured it was my imagination. I looked again and yes it was a roach, as a matter of fact there were several roaches all over the fruit. Then they proceded to make their way over to the pasta and , pizza etc . I walk over to the table and my husband and his grandmother have already eaten a plate of food. He sees my look and right away asks what was wrong . So i tell him , there were roaches all over the watermelon. He tells me (im sure trying to make himself feel better for eating roach infested food) oh im sure they were the seeds, you know watermelon has seeds brenda.... When he saw i was serious he got up went and looked and saw roaches too... we got up and left. couldnt even complain to anyone since after we paid the only person working the place was no where to be seen!