Help - - Need ideas to get me losing again!!

Options
Hi all,
I have been struggling with weight loss for over a year now and I am currently down 47 pounds. This has been extremely hard for me to lose. I admit I have cheated a little throughout the time but not very much to the extent that it caused weight gain. I am basically thinking of going on a lower carb (not eliminating it) and higher protein diet but the problem is I am a full time student with a girl of 7 years also to look after and time is of the essence. Im just wondering if you have any ideas as regards what I can do to start losing consistently again as it is demotivating to see such little progress....maybe ideas on quick meals that will keep me full but not high in carb or fat and/or anything at all you feel might be of use to men...I appreciate any insight at all..

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    You said you've cheated along the way.

Are you still cheating, are you weighing and measuring everything?

I've been stuck for 6 weeks. Today is the day that I'm sitting down and getting real and figuring out why and what I'm going to do about it.

Maybe look back to where you were losing nicely and see what you did different.

Also, not sure if you are using TDEE, but maybe that needs to be recalculated.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I lose when I go vegan: all veggies, no dairy, no meat,no eggs and no refined wheat flour pasta, bread and baking (i.e.no gluten). I'm not fanatic about it, and break my vegan fast once a week to eat eggs, and meat. And when I eat with others, I don't impose my diet on them.

This would not be a great diet for a 7 year old because they need dairy, meat and eggs to grow and be healthy. So if you were to go vegan, you would have to supplement what you make for yourself with what she needs. School lunches could be where she could have the dairy, and the eggs. In the morning, while you are eating a porridge made of rolled oats, you could be adding milk or yogurt to her portion.

I also find that eating a good and hearty vegetable soup for lunch made with a home-made chicken stock (not pure vegan, I know) fills me up, and contributes to weight loss.

That is what works for me. Good luck on your journey.
  • reddevil29
    reddevil29 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @Cheryl - Thanks for your reply :-) I have one day where I have something I like but count it in...I do count everything as i always did. Im confused about the TDEE always have been really!!
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No excuses Missy!! I have 3 boys and work fulltime. U have to sit down and really think about what u are eating and get rid of stuff u know is no good. Also switch up ur workouts...Lots of cardio, water and good sleep followed with a cleaner diet will make the change easier. Also never do the same workouts day after day so u won't hit a plateau. Keep ur body guessing.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    @grassette...thanks for your ideas. It wouldn't worry me to go on a vegan diet, however unfortunately as i am in college 5 days a week I think i would find it very difficult. I honestly would not know where to begin or what to have for lunch. The soup is a great idea and I would love it but I dont have access to somewhere where I can heat it up during the day..its quite difficult therefore to being anything other than cold food
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck? A couple weeks is normal, other than that and you're either not eating enough, so your body is clinging to everything it can, or you're eating too much. Or you have a medical issue.

We can't really say until you open your diary and give more info.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    @Mari Thanks for that :-D I do my exercise at 6am before she gets up so i dont mind the exercise time, its the preparing meals that has me bothered. Do you eat totally different from your boys? What do you eat at work? I eat clean most of the time except for one option a week, I do cardio 4 times a week and drink 6-7 glasses of water a day if not more...Well done on your progress, you look great :-)
  • Photogg
    Photogg Posts: 12
    Options
    Also take a look at what you are eating versus what you are putting out. I find I hit different plateaus and need to ramp up the exercise for a week to get the metabolisms in over drive. Or if you slow down or stop the exercising all together the weight will also stop coming off. If you are still doing the same routine change it up keep your muscles guessing.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    @Francl27...I havent been logging online just at home but I will open my diary as I didnt realise it was closed. I have been inconsistent in that one week ill be down 3 pounds and then I wont lose anything for 3-4 weeks and then maybe 2 pounds and so on...
  • reddevil29
    Options
    Thanks Photogg :-) I tend to do a run 3 times a week and then I do an hour dance class. i do weights twice a week also along with the cardio sessions...I was power walking for a while but have started running to see if that will do anything for me so far it hasnt!!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    hi I have 4 kids and work full time. what works for me is making the same thing for everyone in the family but with slightly different sides. So if I roast a chicken, the kids will have that with a starch, veg, milk etc. I will have the same but focus on the breast meat, no skin, no starch on the side but more veggies. I always have lots of baby spinach or kale on hand in the fridge, I can add this to just about anything as well as wilt it for some extra veggies for me. I will then make a wrap with some of the chicken breast to take to work the next day (chicken, ww tortilla, Dijon mustard, avocado and baby spinach). I also pack myself lots of vegetables to take with it. you don't need to head any of this up. you have this with a coffee and it's pretty good for an early lunch the next day.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    @elsyoommen Thank you that sounds good as it means i dont have to cook two separate meals...I have that written as an option for my lunch and dinner from now on :-D
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    @Mari Thanks for that :-D I do my exercise at 6am before she gets up so i dont mind the exercise time, its the preparing meals that has me bothered. Do you eat totally different from your boys? What do you eat at work? I eat clean most of the time except for one option a week, I do cardio 4 times a week and drink 6-7 glasses of water a day if not more...Well done on your progress, you look great :-)

Thank u! I do eat different from my boys because my food is very blah. Meaning no salt added no seasoning except for Mrs. Dash or spices. I always try to prep my Quinoa and Brown Riceon Sundays and I season my meats on Sundays as well. That way I have everything ready for the week. Everyday I prep my dinner and lunch for the next day together at night. Whatever I'm having for diner I prep double to take to work for lunch. I try to eat a different thing for breakfast everyday but its mostly Oats and Cold Cereal which I keep at work. I take my snacks with me if its fruits or veggies but I mostly keep my yogurts at work. On weekend I take my time makiny my breakfast...eggs waffles and stuff like that.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful for you to open your diary. If we can see what you've been doing, we'd be able to help see what you need to change.
  • reddevil29
    Options
    @Mari thanks maybe I just need to organise myself better, as regards yogurt I have no where to store it at college unfortunately but will prep a bit better and that might help
  • reddevil29
    Options
    @Connie I just opened it there now however i havent been logging on here for about the last month since I started college as I dont have access during the day.. I use my notepad instead :-)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    You say you eat something you like once a week, and that most of your food is "blah"? WHY?!
    Everything I eat is delicious. I don't add salt to stuff either but I love cooking with Sri racha hot sauce, or mustard or low sodium soy sauce or any number of delicious favors.. Different vegetables can add a full flavor to dishes, mushrooms add a robust meatiness, peppers add a sweetness, etc. Even my salads are delicious, adding some tangy banana peppers (I soak them first to reduce sodium) or a handful of olives, or some marinated beets ads a great punch. I know you don't have a whole lot of time (but who does?) but it might be worth investing some time into learning and cooking tastier meals for yourself. You should not have to suffer and eat bland food to lose weight and be healthy. If I only ate what I liked once a week and most of my food was blah, I'd need help and motivation too! Eat delicious food!
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    re storing yogurt etc - you can get one of those cool packs (rubbermaid and others have these) you put those in teh freezer the night before and slip it into your lunch box/bag with all your lunch and snack in the am before leaving. Keeps my wrap, greek yogurt, cheese and veggies nice and cool
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    @Mari thanks maybe I just need to organise myself better, as regards yogurt I have no where to store it at college unfortunately but will prep a bit better and that might help

Get an insulated lunch bag, put your food in it with an ice pack. Your food should stay cool til you want it.
  • AlyssaNewtons
    Options
    Have any of you ever heard of the challenge? Ive been doing well it keeps my body operating at peak performance! Feel free to add me im litterally losing a pound a day......... whooo hooo