Is my fats and calories to low? (worried)

Options
I can't help but think I'm really doing something wrong with my diet, I'm 18 years old so I'm an active teen male walking around 15,000-20,000 steps a day and I'm consuming 1550 calories and only 33g of fat, i haven't grown a single cm in a year now and I'm no longer losing much weight at all... what should i do? some web sites say teenagers need 3000 calories (who are as active as me) and 100g of fat? what should i do and what do you recommend? how can i add more fat into my diet? all i eat is brown rice/veg/oats/semi-skimmed milk/greek yogurt/rice cakes/peanut-butter/fruits. need some help please i want to grow and actually look my age.

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Use this calculator to get an idea of what you should eat, calories and macros:

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Are you vegetarian? If you don't eat meat, try adding fats like olive oil, avocado, and more nuts.
  • snowmoon13
    snowmoon13 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    your profile says 23 years old in the post you say 18 without the correct information it would be hard to hazard a guess ... good fats can be found in seeds,avocado,tahini, nuts and nut butters...
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you are eating way too little.

I just had this discussion with my 18yo son. We went into the kitchen and found some things he would eat that would boost his calorie intake.

Bisquits - aka petit bear, 13 of those equals close to 500 cals. Smearing them with peanut butter or chocolate spread is even better.

Nuts - brazil nuts or any nuts, lightly fried in sesame oil and salt, make a tasty high cal snack.

Halva is excellent!

Instant mashed potatoes flavored with (no-msg) soup mix.

Ramen noodles with sweet chili sauce.

Hummus and tehina.

Add olive oil or sesame oil to your food. Mayo is also a big help.

Definitely switch to whole milk products, forget the low fat stuff. And choose calorie dense crackers instead of rice cakes.

Good luck!!
  • bazzawood30
    bazzawood30 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    And some fish protein for muscles good fats for joints and heart.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    i want to grow and actually look my age.

Not sure peanut butter and avacado is going to help here.