Weightloss affecting periods?

Options
Have any of you ladies found that losing weight has played havoc with periods? And if so, how long did it take for them to regulate again?

I've had a baby just over 2 years ago but things were back on track afterwards. Have had a recent gyn checkup and everything appears OK. However my periods have been all over the place lately. The only other change has been that I've lost 30lb in the last six months, not too rapid I thought to affect me (I'm now just about at a normal weight and still plenty of body fat left ;) I'm 37 so probably too young for menopause.

Replies

• nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Mine always gets very short when I start a new workout - 17 days-ish. But then it creeps right back on track (which is not a very "stable" track to begin with)
  • 6 six years ago, when I was 19, my menstrual cycle completely stopped due to PCOs (which is called secondary amenorrhea). 7 months, no period! At that time I was more than 240 lbs. My period returned after 10 months when I lost my first 20 pounds. Since then, I have no problem with my period. That is to say, there is a strong link between weight and hormones, and so, between weight and menstrual cycle.
  • lessac
    lessac Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Losing weight does affect the menstrual cycle. Since you said you had seen your gynecologist, we may rule out PCOS (did your doc look for it? ordered hormone tests?).

First of all, it's a change in body fat ratio that your body was used to. Secondly most people cut the dietary fat intake back way too much while they're dieting which is a huge problem for hormone production. Gonadal steroids need fat and even with abundance of body fat, low dietary intake does affect their synthesis in a negative way. Those two couples together can cause irregular periods and in the long run can cause even infertility (hence the teenagers should take notice).

Last but not the least, heavy exercising also affects the cycles since it's a stress on the body and heavy exercising increases testosterone levels even slightly, which is in most cases enough to affect hormone balance and cause irregularities of few days to a week.

Needless to say stress itself affects our cycles as well. Whenever I worry about my periods, it's almost always late *shakes fist*

If your periods are not terribly irregular, as in missing periods for more than a month; don't worry as long as you watch your dietary fat intake :) Your body will get used to it.
  • LacyBug81
    LacyBug81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Exercise and dieting caused my periods to become lighter, shorter, and more irregular. The irregularity lasted a couple months, meaning I was TWO MONTHS LATE after starting my exercise regimen, but when I started on that third month, I became regular again. (That was a very scary time for me and my ex-hubby!) Hehehe!

Anyways, more importantly, I wanted to share with you that dieting and exercise is TRULY AMAZING FOR OUR MENSES!!! So please, don't "throw in the towel" just yet! Exercising produces a hormone called endorphins (aka our natural painkillers). So, obviously, they will decrease the pain and cramping associated with your period. These hormones also decrease anxiety and mood swings. And the exercising, which causes you to sweat (if you're doing it right, wink!) will decrease the amount of water in your body, which will then get rid of the bloating that you get around your period!! Also, the stretching and toning you do to your abdomen, hips, and thighs will loosen all those muscles and this will decrease the pain as well. AND, if all this wasn't enough, exercising, which causes you to breathe harder, will force you to take in more oxygen, and then the oxygen will increase your blood flow, this will then cause those nasty, painful blood clots to become a thing of the past!

Oh! And I almost forgot!! Your dieting and healthy food choices will help as well! All those green, leafy vegetables and foods full of vitamins will give you more energy during your period and they also help with preventing blood clots, making your periods shorter and lighter!!

I hope all this was helpful, love! Have a blessed day! And here is a link with some helpful info on what we are discussing!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=919&page=2
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Towards the end of my weight loss (probably around 45lbs lost), my periods totally went whacky-had a couple months where I had two in one month, ones lasting 10 days etc. It took about four months after I stopped losing weight (transitioned into maintenance), and then things got back to normal and have been now for a few months.
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    When I was heavy, I had no periods at all. I had to take progesterone to get them. Now that I've lost, I am back on a normal cycle. My doctor told me when he saw me in June that I didn't need to worry about progesterone anymore, and my cycle had been "cured" by my weight loss. I am now healthy again, and so happy! So it definitely makes a difference. What is you BF ratio? Mine numbers are skewed because I am a heavy-framed woman. So I need to weigh more, weighing much less than I do now will do me more harm than good, and I've noticed slight changes in my cycle again, now taking longer to start, but less pain, and lasts a shorter amount of time.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    After I lost my first 8 lbs I had my period very heavily despite the fact that I'm on BCP non-stop for endo. Right now, even though I haven't missed a pill, I'm once again spotting and having a very light prolonged period. It seems every time I kind of have a significant weight drop I seem to get my period.

Now, I shouldn't be having them at all due to the BCP. I'm not on the exact BCP I should be though, because I'm living in a country where they don't have it and I can't get it imported from elsewhere as my insurance won't cover BCP.

I'm hoping once things i.e. my weight chill and become more stable that my period will stabilize again. As it is, right now I'm just dealing as I know going to the doctor will result in nada because they don't have the BCP I should be on.

I'd say it's personal what happens to your period, but considering all the changes that our bodies are going through, that it should be expected that your period will change along with it. If it gets really bad see your gyno, but even then they may not be able to do anything until your weight has settled or your reach or goals.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!
    Towards the end of my weight loss (probably around 45lbs lost), my periods totally went whacky-had a couple months where I had two in one month, ones lasting 10 days etc. It took about four months after I stopped losing weight (transitioned into maintenance), and then things got back to normal and have been now for a few months.
    Thanks iechick, this is exactly what I meant, mine were regular beforehand and only recent months gone wacky. I'm pretty in tune with my body after going through TTC and pregnancies three times:wink: and gynecologist said everything looked OK (if it continues for no apparent reason I'll obviously go back for a follow up in few months) I would have always assumed that losing weight would regulate them rather than mess them up.:grumble:
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Losing weight does affect the menstrual cycle. Since you said you had seen your gynecologist, we may rule out PCOS (did your doc look for it? ordered hormone tests?).

First of all, it's a change in body fat ratio that your body was used to. Secondly most people cut the dietary fat intake back way too much while they're dieting which is a huge problem for hormone production. Gonadal steroids need fat and even with abundance of body fat, low dietary intake does affect their synthesis in a negative way. Those two couples together can cause irregular periods and in the long run can cause even infertility (hence the teenagers should take notice).

Last but not the least, heavy exercising also affects the cycles since it's a stress on the body and heavy exercising increases testosterone levels even slightly, which is in most cases enough to affect hormone balance and cause irregularities of few days to a week.

Needless to say stress itself affects our cycles as well. Whenever I worry about my periods, it's almost always late *shakes fist*

If your periods are not terribly irregular, as in missing periods for more than a month; don't worry as long as you watch your dietary fat intake :) Your body will get used to it.

This! So eloquently said but ^^^ is completely true and I have a screwed up endocrine system as a result. I was actually without a period for 6 years and it only recently returned after gaining 15-20 pounds above my comfortable weight. I am now WAAAAY heavier than I was when I lost my period (but still not huge by any means) and my periods are rather erratic. If there's something wrong with your menstrual cycle then there's something wrong with your hormonal levels. I'd get it checked out.
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Exercise and dieting caused my periods to become lighter, shorter, and more irregular. The irregularity lasted a couple months, meaning I was TWO MONTHS LATE after starting my exercise regimen, but when I started on that third month, I became regular again. (That was a very scary time for me and my ex-hubby!) Hehehe!

Anyways, more importantly, I wanted to share with you that dieting and exercise is TRULY AMAZING FOR OUR MENSES!!! So please, don't "throw in the towel" just yet! Exercising produces a hormone called endorphins (aka our natural painkillers). So, obviously, they will decrease the pain and cramping associated with your period. These hormones also decrease anxiety and mood swings. And the exercising, which causes you to sweat (if you're doing it right, wink!) will decrease the amount of water in your body, which will then get rid of the bloating that you get around your period!! Also, the stretching and toning you do to your abdomen, hips, and thighs will loosen all those muscles and this will decrease the pain as well. AND, if all this wasn't enough, exercising, which causes you to breathe harder, will force you to take in more oxygen, and then the oxygen will increase your blood flow, this will then cause those nasty, painful blood clots to become a thing of the past!

Oh! And I almost forgot!! Your dieting and healthy food choices will help as well! All those green, leafy vegetables and foods full of vitamins will give you more energy during your period and they also help with preventing blood clots, making your periods shorter and lighter!!

I hope all this was helpful, love! Have a blessed day! And here is a link with some helpful info on what we are discussing!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=919&page=2

I have to say I've experienced all these positives. I don't know if it's scientific fact, but it's been true for me. I've had a terrible history with my menses since I was in middle/high school and i'm now in my mid-20's. Now that i'm taking care of my body and working out and losing weight I am pain/cramp/bloat/clot free, which is even more motivation to keep going.

(sorry for the TMI)
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Have any of you ladies found that losing weight has played havoc with periods? And if so, how long did it take for them to regulate again?

I've had a baby just over 2 years ago but things were back on track afterwards. Have had a recent gyn checkup and everything appears OK. However my periods have been all over the place lately. The only other change has been that I've lost 30lb in the last six months, not too rapid I thought to affect me (I'm now just about at a normal weight and still plenty of body fat left ;) I'm 37 so probably too young for menopause.

Not sure what everyone else has to say about this but Pre-Menopause symptoms start in my family around 37-39. My mom was in full blown menopause by 43. :\ It could be pre-menopause.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My periods have become exceptionally long, but much lighter and less painful. I'll take it, I guess.
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I spotted for almost a whole month and had blood in my "fluids" ( Ew, Hate saying the other word )

I also missed a whole period.

Every month ( 3 months now ) since weight loss my period is either:

a: Not there
    b. Lasts 25 days ( 2nd month )
    c. Only 2 days long.

Crazy stuff but I hope it will regulate when Im maintaining.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, but 37 is not too young for menopause. It's younger than average, but not at all unheard of.
  • SpeakToAmanda
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds within the last 6 weeks and have now been spotting heavily for the past week, despite being on the BC pill (Chateal) and taking it on time daily. I'm really nervous, anyone have any advice?
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight my period was irregular (as usual) but within the past few months it has become almost regular, which is a first for me. I have noticed that they have been lighter than in the past, and my cramps have been very limited too, maybe a bit on the first day, but nothing that an ibuprofen can't take care of. Unless you're wanting to become pregnant again you don't need a period every month, just make sure you're having at least one every three months. But if you're still worried about it, have you tried talking to your doctor about BC? Your level of exercise could also cause your period to be missing. If you're exercising a lot and not eating enough then your period could stop. Once you hit your goal ease up on your exercise a bit and make sure you're eating enough to maintain and see if it becomes normal.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Mine was super light last month, only lasting like 2 days, with some spotting in between. This month it's been back to normal of about five days really heavy,
  • Gee_24
    Gee_24 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Spotted again today and was devastated. Cannot describe how much it stresses me out.