Healthy Foods that actualy aren't that healthy

Options
124»

Replies

• jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Fat is very necessary to our bodies if we want to continue to pass the waste products out of our systems, have hair on our heads and elsewhere on our bodies and grow finger nails Etc. It is just the type and quantity of fat. Everything in moderation; nothing is good and healthy if it is eaten to the exclusion of other necessary nutrients.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Misleading labels are irritating for me because I know a lot of innocent people will attempt to eat better for many different reasons and are led astray due to marketing. <snip>

The more ingredients, the further we get from healthy. Luckily, our bodies were created to filter out the junk. We just need to slow down and let it work.

My new favorite stealth ingredient is "evaporated cane juice". Yeah, it's sugar.

When I see a long list of ingredients, I'm immediately turned off- especially if I can't pronounce half of them.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've never heard agave syrup touted as a healthy alternative. I've only heard it used as an ethical alternative for people who avoid honey and gmo corn.

I mean, as far as health goes, your body isn't going to notice a difference. Sugar is sugar.

I've never quite understood the reasoning behind people not eating honey. Bees make a lot more honey then they can actually consume.

Bees are manipulated to produce as much honey as is possible for them for the benefit the humans who keep them. Bees in an environment outside of human manipulation, when building their own hives, choosing their own queens, and breeding according to their own wishes will not produce more honey than they need.

This is besides the point, though. For a vegan all that matters is that the animal is exploited. It doesn't matter if they'd produce extra honey anyway. What matters is that we capture these creatures, selectively breed them and destroy their genetic diversity making them susceptible to disease, kill them when it suits our needs and take as much of their honey as we can. I just can't call that ethical.

That's just my perspective on the issue.

I have a friend who keeps bees for natural honey, and who belongs to several national beekeeping organizations, and from my experience, bee keepers are doing more to protect bees than anyone else. Bee keepers are FAR more concerned than most people about the vanishing of bees, the consequences to bees of pesticide use on crops, what makes a healthy colony that is resistant to parasites etc.

Also, the only way her bees are "manipulated" to produce more honey is in the fact that she intentionally plants fields of their favorite flowers so that they can collect lots of nectar and therefore make lots of honey.

Oh, and on the original topic, FISH. It used to be healthy, now it is so contaminated with heavy metals and pollutants from the Fukashima nuclear plant that you are probably better off not eating it. I love it though so I still do, just not as often as before.