Replacing cereal

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I want to do more then replace cereal. I've tried and tried best so far is to get a healthy one and use almond milk. The kicker is I eat so much of the damn stuff because it's so easy to set up.

I mainly only eat it in the morning or if I wake up during sleep hungry.

I just can't seem to find a good replacement that is as easy to set up and filling >< 800+ cal from cereal is not ok with me lol.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem as you until I found: Nature's Path Organic Flax Plus Multibran Flakes: Fat: 1.5 grams; Sodium: 135Mg; Potassium: 125MG; Carbs: 23g; Fibre: 5g; Sugar 4g; Protein 4g - 3/4 cup = 110 calories. It is very filling, cost $6.99 for 35 ounces/1kg box from Whole Foods. Give it a try.

I love these too, but I don't find them filling at all.
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hah, I have afew things to try tonight :P
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I want to do more then replace cereal. I've tried and tried best so far is to get a healthy one and use almond milk. The kicker is I eat so much of the damn stuff because it's so easy to set up.

I just can't seem to find a good replacement that is as easy to set up and filling >< 800+ cal from cereal is not ok with me lol.

Any suggestions?

What kinda cereal are you eating? have you tried Fiber One cereal? I started eating Fiber One Chocolate and use Silk Almond Milk and with 2 cups of cereal and 1 cup of milk its only about 268 calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and Cream of Wheat are soooooo good.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the others, that there is nothing inherently wrong with cold cereal, I find that it is a binge-trigger for me. I can eat bowl after bowl, without feeling even remotely satisfied. It's so very easy to overeat. Even if I am weighing and measuring my food, I find myself losing control, when it comes to eating cold cereal (even when it has no sugar). Hot cereal helps me, because it slows down my eating (because it's hot), and I find it more satisfying - especially if I eat steel cut oats. Another thing that's good about hot cereal, is that you can get it in pre-portioned packets. Hope you find something that works for you. My best advice, if you find that you are out of control when eating cereal, is to buy a replacement, and get the cereal out of the house, so it doesn't call to you. Good luck!
  • Roxiesmother
    Options
    I don't have any helpful suggestions because cereal is a huge problem food for me too. It's one thing that find impossible to stop eating once I start.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating cereal. I eat it all the time. But I only eat certain kinds and I always measure my portion and ALWAYS use Almond milk...the unsweetend one. I only eat Special K Red Berries 1 cup is only 110Cals with only 5g of sugar I pour out 2 cups and the Original Fiber One cereal 1/2 cup is only 60Cals and 0g of sugar I pour out 1 1/2 cup followed with a banana every single time. The Fiber One sometimes I switch the banana for Blueberries yumm!
  • africanstardust
    africanstardust Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat oats and protein powder in the morning, or a protein-rich malt cereal that is wheat-free.
  • GettingMooreInShape
    Options
    I have found that eating cereal with 2% (or whole) milk makes it much more satisfying for me. Almond milk just doesn't have the fat or protein content to make a dent in my hunger. Now, I can happily eat one bowl and be full. The never-ending craving that I used to have for another bowl of cereal doesn't happen any more!

I also add berries to replace some of the cereal in my bowl. The extra fiber helps to fill me up.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    eggs
  • giorgioc722
    Options

Any suggestions?

What kinda cereal are you eating? have you tried Fiber One cereal? I started eating Fiber One Chocolate and use Silk Almond Milk and with 2 cups of cereal and 1 cup of milk its only about 268 calories.

Eating fiber one with granola right now, and used my food scale :p 300 cal <3. It's weird ever since I moved my bed I haven't been getting up at night to go eat. I hope this sticks!
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    Also, yes during the day I can totally control it, but sometimes I'm kicking myself cause I know a bowl of oat meal would of been way more filling.
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    that sounds like a really good idea.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal.

The fast kind you can microwave. Nuke it for 1-2minutes depending on how much you make. Then add cold milk.

Or if you do make it ahead of time make it with yoghurt and put it in the fridge.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    Do you have to add extra water if you make it with yogurt? Or is the yogurt added after and eaten cold.

I'm assuming cold lol.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    800 calories from cereal??? WOW! What/how much of it are you eating? lol

I eat the following for breakfast:

Oatmeal -plain that I flavor myself with fruit or jams.
    Plain Greek yogurt based smoothies - lots of variations of this
    Plain Greek yogurt mixed with fruit/honey/jam
    Scrambled eggs with vegetables or last nights left overs mixed in
    Portabella egg sandwiches (baked portabella mushroom, layers with spinach, peppers, onion, tomato egg and sprinkled with cheese. Sometimes i put chicken or turkey on it too)
    Hard boiled eggs- pre boiled for convenience
    egg salad using avocado instead of mayo./mustard on lettuce (or whole wheat)
    Fruit salad

When I'm eating carbs i'll eat granola cereals (Cascadian farms is my favorite!) and special K protein, protein pancake and an occasional bagel egg and cheese.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    Hah sometimes 800cal cause it would be

300 cal when I wake up at 1am and then 400ish cal when I ACTUALLY eat breakfast :p.

I like how you mix it up, I want to do more of that. Do you wake up a certain amount of time earlier to make said eggs etc?
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    <-- cereal addict. we cant keep it in the house because one bowl will be 2-4cups (2-3 for me, 2-4 cups for my husband) which is an utter waste of calories.

my replacements that have been able to satisfy my morning sweet tooth, but also fill me and add protein are:
    protein pancakes
    protein mug cake (takes <3 min to make, or make the night before and then just heat)
    or 1-2 packets of quaker weight control oatmeal with 1/2scoop of cinnabon trutein protein powder (2 + protein powder keeps me full for hours)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1110124-my-favorite-protein-recipes
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    how about a greek yogurt with granola? orrrrr measure out the cereal ;)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    How about you drink a glass of water when you wake in the night?