p90x...do you HAVE to do it six days a week?

Options
Just in case I really don’t know the answer…

Do you HAVE to do p90x six days a week? I’m thinking of doing it after my son goes to sleep at night. There is NO way possible for me to do it while he is awake. We do go running and/or riding our bike in the afternoon (I do plan on keeping that up). HE LOVES being outside, so I don’t want to stop for me and him. BUT… It wouldn’t hurt for me to do something else too. So, do you HAVE to do p90x six days a week? I KNOW I won’t be able to do it six days a week, but I will try to do as much as possible.

Whatcha think p90xers?

Replies

• jmmtaylor
    jmmtaylor Posts: 225
    Options
    You don't have to do any workout like they say. I don't do my TurboJam like they say you should. Do it when you can. They put together the best order and everything, so the days you do the workout I'd still go in the order they have set. You will still see results.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    If you want to see results quicker it is advised to do the workouts six days a week and do them as they are laid out.
  • crossarmant
    crossarmant Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You really should do it 6 days a week to get the advertised results, as well as eat a very clean diet. However, if you're already active and just looking for a few new exercise routines to mix things up, then feel free to pick and choose of the lot. All of them would be great supplemental workouts if you're not really looking to do the "system". So, it's really all about what you wish to achieve. I imagine plenty of people will say to skip Yoga, but I guarantee you that it'll be the most beneficial routine for you overall health.
  • Chipperoo23
    Options
    That's just the plan that T. Horton came up with to achieve MAXIMUM results. P90X is intense and time consuming. Mommies just can't make our kids sit still for over an hour! I think supplementing your regular routine with it should be just fine. You will still build muscle, and you will still increase your metabolism. So you know what that means?!?! More calories being burning running and biking! :) Best Wishes!
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Of course the program is designed to give the best results with their prescribed 6 workouts per week format. And you will get out of it what you put into it. That said though, I've learned to substitute a couple of their workouts to fit my lifestyle a little better.

Their 6th day is typically Kenpo - a cardio routine. After a couple trials I realized that, FOR ME, I would get a much better cardio burn by doing a 4 mile run than Kenpo. So I substitute that fairly often on my 6th day. And, incidentally, it works out better for the family cuz we all just go to the park, I run & the kids play.

I also sometimes substitute a couple hours of basketball for my Plyometric day (day 2). I found that not only do I burn more calories, but I'm sore in the same places. It's a very similar type of workout. And, it's great for me cuz it's so much funner.

So there are ways to adjust to lifestyle, but I'd just make sure you're honest with yourself in how hard you push it and burn calories and that sort of thing.
  • LoganScottsMom
    LoganScottsMom Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks that does help. I don't want to say the words CAN NOT, but I tried p90x once and my 16 month old son wouldn't have it. So, I stopped. BUT, I do want to try again. I don't want to say I CAN NOT do it six days, but it's going to be hard. I want to keep up my running because I plan on running a 5k (work competition) in April. I've got to be in shape for that too. Thanks again! I'll take any words of wisdom. :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't always have time to set aside for an hour - hour & half for a work out.
    I take some of the work out's from P90X and some from Jillan Michaels and do what works for me.
    I know I would have gottne better results with following P90X as suggeseted, but I got pretty good results doing my own thing too.
    You just need to be honest with your self, your food, your effort that you put into the workouts. (Bring It!)
    You'll get results with any at home exercise if you actually DO it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily say that you have to do it as laid out for 6 days a week, but I would strongly suggest that you leave the weight training workouts as is.

I have personally done P90X as laid out as well as my own thing and couple of different ways. What I have noticed is that as long as I leave the 3 days a week of weights in there and throw some cardio and stretching in there as I can, it still works and I still get results. I only saw a reduced amount of success when I messed with the strength training.

Right now I am doing P90X, but taking out all of the cardio and yoga. I am doing Turbo Kick on Tuesdays and Thursdays (and I do the Ab Ripper X on cardio days to make the workouts 1 hour or less everyday while still fitting them in) and I save yoga for Saturday instead of the middle of the week. I bought the Jillian Michaels yoga video because it is only a half an hour which is much more doable for me. I just don't have the time for a 90 minute workout on days that I have to work, and anything over about 45 minutes of yoga doesn't work for me...I like the burn and the stretching, but I get bored and want to do something else after a long period of time.

I do not worry about missed workouts, but I just keep going with the schedule. For example, if I miss Tuesday's workout, I do not do it on Wednesday. I just move right along with Wednesday's workout. Trying to make up for missed workouts stresses you out to much and can cause you to work too hard and get injured.

All that being said, I do workout 6 days a week with P90X, but it lasts less than an hour each day cause I rearrange it a little.

As long as you are not cheating with the meal plan, you will see success. The majority of people that do not have success with P90X are the same ones that aren't eating right. :flowerforyou:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked this, I could easily do this mon-friday, but I'm often gone or working long days on the weekends, and might not be able to get it in. So its good to read some of the answers on here.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

Do you HAVE to do p90x six days a week? I’m thinking of doing it after my son goes to sleep at night. There is NO way possible for me to do it while he is awake. We do go running and/or riding our bike in the afternoon (I do plan on keeping that up). HE LOVES being outside, so I don’t want to stop for me and him. BUT… It wouldn’t hurt for me to do something else too. So, do you HAVE to do p90x six days a week? I KNOW I won’t be able to do it six days a week, but I will try to do as much as possible.

Whatcha think p90xers?

No, I don't think you HAVE to do it 6 days a week. But I would NOT suggest skipping workouts. So what if the 90 day program takes you 120 days to complete? So instead of following the schedule as a Mon-Sun workout, just schedule the 90 workouts and do them in order, whether you skip days in between or not. Does that make sense?
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Whatcha think p90xers?

I'd say it's a free country (for now anyway) and you can do whatever you want. If every day is too much then you could do it every other day instead, essentially making it P180X. Will you get the same results? Maybe so. Maybe not. Maybe better. Who knows. Just do whatever works best for you.
  • tenaarnett
    tenaarnett Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am a beachbody coach and avid P90X'er. I have done P90X for 3 yrs now and have amazing results! But, if you want the results you HAVE to commit to 6 days a week and clean eating. It is a combination of both or you will not get the results you want. Just to let you know, there is no plateau. I continue to see results. I had a set back last year where my workouts were not consistently 6 days a week while I was going through 3 surgeries for breast cancer. The muscles did get alittle out of shape but once released to bring it hard again, within 30 days my muscles were once again popping and my abs were ripped. You can do it. Just make some time for you and you only! You are worth it!!!
  • hedgertiger
    hedgertiger Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    for anyone who has done the P90x program - how can you survive eating 1 small carb portion per day?
    I play football (soccer) and it would be unhealthy to contemplate playing a 90minute game with no carbs
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    for anyone who has done the P90x program - how can you survive eating 1 small carb portion per day?
    I play football (soccer) and it would be unhealthy to contemplate playing a 90minute game with no carbs

I control my carbs, but I still eat more than one serving a day.