how many calories am I really burning???

Options
I have been running on my treadmil (different sppeds sometimee 5mph and other times 7 mph) however I always keep my incline at 3.5, how can I factor that In when trying to do calculations for how many calories I burned?? My treadmil has a calorie counter but it doesnt ask for my height or age at all so I dont take it too literately.

Replies

• AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    this may not help much but

I don't worry about the calorie burned when working out. what I focus on is what can I do to make my workout so intense that it kicks my *kitten* and then I just try to do that for 20-to-40 mintues 3-4 days a week and I find that blast the fat off faster
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would be to invest in a heart rate monitor. If that is not something you can do right now, just shave some calories off what your machine tells you to be on the safe side. (that is...if you feel the estimate is high). You could also put your numbers into some online calculators and see how they compare. Still wouldn't be accurate, but may give you a better idea.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you always run with the incline? Could you go a bit faster with no incline?

Failing that, you might want to try the link below (I haven't tried it myself - but it looks like what you're after)

http://nutritionfirstfitness.com/tools.php?tool=running
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agree with the heart rate monitor. I was burning less calories than most of the calculators were telling me. I am new though and obviously not as good as I will one day be.
    They are worth the money.
  • kaylarunshappy
    Options
    The most effective thing would be to get a heart rate monitor. The Polar Ft4's go for around 60 on amazon. I've heard a lot of good things about them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you always run with the incline? Could you go a bit faster with no incline?

Failing that, you might want to try the link below (I haven't tried it myself - but it looks like what you're after)

http://nutritionfirstfitness.com/tools.php?tool=running
    faster than 7mph?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Your best bet would be to invest in a heart rate monitor. If that is not something you can do right now, just shave some calories off what your machine tells you to be on the safe side. (that is...if you feel the estimate is high). You could also put your numbers into some online calculators and see how they compare. Still wouldn't be accurate, but may give you a better idea.
    +1 for the HRM
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    +1 again for the HRM. But, barring that: given the incline an your speed, and your age and gender, I'd say it's safe to say you're burning (at least) 100 calories per mile.
    Indoors I burn that, outdoors more.
    And I'm older (with a HRM).
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Yes get a good HRM. It will show a totally different number than the treadmill. Some say they are accurate and others don't believe them.
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    Whats the HRM for?
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It measures how high your heart rate gets, for how long etc etc. I use mine with the digifit app and it tells you exactly how many calories you have burnt on a work out. You can compare workouts too, and see which part had you working the hardest. I'm in love with mine. :-)
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    It measures how high your heart rate gets, for how long etc etc. I use mine with the digifit app and it tells you exactly how many calories you have burnt on a work out. You can compare workouts too, and see which part had you working the hardest. I'm in love with mine. :-)

What kind do you have??

How do you know your target HR during a workout?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I have been running on my treadmil (different sppeds sometimee 5mph and other times 7 mph) however I always keep my incline at 3.5, how can I factor that In when trying to do calculations for how many calories I burned??

Depending on the machine, it will need an incline of 1-2% just make up for what's missing relative to normal running. Since you're using a bit more than that, I would just go ahead and use one of the normal formulas for figuring out calorie burn (eg 0.63 * body weight * miles run).
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...and it tells you exactly how many calories you have burnt on a work out.

No, unfortunately, it doesn't. It tells you exactly how fast your heart is beating, and then does a whack of math based on a whack of assumptions to guess how many calories you might have burnt.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I never run on an incline that would kill my shins!! That's just me though.

Personally, and it works for me, regardless of what the treadmill says I've burnt I only enter 300 into MFP to allow for any errors and I eat those back.
  • woahohjme
    Options
    I want to get a HRM soon but right now it's just not possible. I was just looking for an idea but you all have helped a lot! I run at an incline because it gets my heart rate up faster:) thanks everyone!
  • LurveTheDoctor
    Options
    I never run on an incline that would kill my shins!! That's just me though.

Personally, and it works for me, regardless of what the treadmill says I've burnt I only enter 300 into MFP to allow for any errors and I eat those back.

Maybe that's why my shins hurt so bad.
  • itscoezy
    Options
    I have a Polar Watch FT60 with a chest strap that measures my heart rate - best thing ever!
    It gives me details of how many calories I've burned, and in my case (i'm so out of shape) I'm burning a lot more than what MFP tells me I'm burning.

Definitely a great product :D