Replacing cereal

Options
13»

Replies

• giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    <-- cereal addict. we cant keep it in the house because one bowl will be 2-4cups (2-3 for me, 2-4 cups for my husband) which is an utter waste of calories.

my replacements that have been able to satisfy my morning sweet tooth, but also fill me and add protein are:
    protein pancakes
    protein mug cake (takes <3 min to make, or make the night before and then just heat)
    or 1-2 packets of quaker weight control oatmeal with 1/2scoop of cinnabon trutein protein powder (2 + protein powder keeps me full for hours)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1110124-my-favorite-protein-recipes

Yes, thank you.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    How about you drink a glass of water when you wake in the night?

Hunger wont let me fall back to sleep >< Used to try this for that and before sleep if I was too hungry :/

Used to get like 3 hours of sleep trying to go to bed while hungry, I kinda don't do that anymore lol.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have very well mannered self control till it comes to waking up at night and for some reason at 1am I'm just mister idgaf and pour whatever amount into the bowl.

My goal was to hopefully find some kind of food to help the issue till I could totally fix it. Like currently I had cereal and I made sure that it was only one cup and all is well.

So yes the real issue is me waking up and I can't seem to fix it. I'm pretty active I can burn up to 2k exercise cal in a day sometimes. The issue is I'm afraid of over eating. On some days I already eat at 3100cal. That's scary. Been stalled on weight loss for a few months, crazy I lost more weight when I did less.

I'm currently trying to find a fix to that problem. If it's over eating, under. I'm unsure.

It's not bored eating either, my body is legit hungry. Kinda sucks.

I'm going to look into that natures path.

if you wake up hungry ..two solutions:

1. eat more in the day before bedtime.
    2. upon waking up drink a glass of water and go back to bed...

I am too tired at 1am to make anything...but that is just me...
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have you tried having a snack before bed? How about pouring a serving size of cereal in baggies so you don't eat more than that?
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Replace with any other food. There is not rule that says we must only eat "breakfast type foods" in morning or for our 1st meal of the day.

Personally I have given up cold cereal since I discovered when I eat it I am crazy hungry in a short amount of time and then I eat eat eat! I was not eating sugary cereals either. I ate Cheerios or Wheaties, and Shredded Wheat type cereals I prefer to eat more protein for my 1st meal and fruits and veggies for volume.

I know there are healthy options out there if you want your cereal then eat it. Just sounds like you need some measuring cups.
  • MassiveBeard
    MassiveBeard Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can find some low calorie toasted oats cereal that is only like 110 calorios for a cup. Sometimes I have two cups and some unsweetened almond milk.
  • giorgioc722
    Options
    Have you tried having a snack before bed? How about pouring a serving size of cereal in baggies so you don't eat more than that?

You know I thought about the baggie thing and you bringing it up just reminded me!
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Oats, whole wheat bagel, omlettes/eggs, greek yoghurt, fruit/veggies. Literally ANY food you want besides cereal... there is nobody out there saying you can't have a sandwich or chicken breast, this whole "cereal and milk" this is cultural.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with Kashi - the original version. 2 cups should fill you up - 320 cal, 2 fat, 26 protein, 70 carb (20g fiber). It'll keep you regular too.

Keep in mind it's soy protein, which I'm personally not big on.

As soon as I wake up I eat 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1 tbsp peanut butter.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hah sometimes 800cal cause it would be

300 cal when I wake up at 1am and then 400ish cal when I ACTUALLY eat breakfast :p.

I like how you mix it up, I want to do more of that. Do you wake up a certain amount of time earlier to make said eggs etc?
    Not really.. eggs are fairly quick to scramble, sauteing the veggies first takes a few minutes though. . I do the hard boiled eggs over the weekend.

If you use the portabella mushroom bake it while you shower. (rub it in oil first) then fry an egg (takes but a fwe minutes) and layer it with whatever veggies you want.

I usually cook my breakfast pack it up and take it to work. I'm not usually hungry when i first wake, i eat it at my desk an hour or so later.

The rest of it is just a blender or rinsing fruit and mixing it with the yogurt. Sometimes i do granola on the yogurt too.
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have very well mannered self control till it comes to waking up at night and for some reason at 1am I'm just mister idgaf and pour whatever amount into the bowl.

My goal was to hopefully find some kind of food to help the issue till I could totally fix it. Like currently I had cereal and I made sure that it was only one cup and all is well.

So yes the real issue is me waking up and I can't seem to fix it. I'm pretty active I can burn up to 2k exercise cal in a day sometimes. The issue is I'm afraid of over eating. On some days I already eat at 3100cal. That's scary. Been stalled on weight loss for a few months, crazy I lost more weight when I did less.

I'm currently trying to find a fix to that problem. If it's over eating, under. I'm unsure.

Have you talked to a professional about this? NES (night eating syndrome) and NSRED (nocturnal sleep related eating disorders) are eating disorders and a doctor may be able to help you come up with strategies to cope with this.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I eat cereal, I eat 2 cups of Apple Jacks and 1 cup of 1% milk and it's only about 320 calories for all. And a lot of mornings, I toast 2 pieces of Natures own 100% whole wheat, fry an egg and put 1 slice of 2% cheese on it for a fried egg sandwich. REALLY quick.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    First - you shouldn't be waking up hungry. I'd figure that out first. Maybe you need more through the day? More fiber, fat or protein to keep you full?

Otherwise:
    preportion the cereal into plastic bowls - then just grab one. Not pouring half asleep unknown amounts into bowls

I like cold soaked steel cut oats too - half oats and half liquid (milk, almond milk, whatever) sit in fridge. Top with whatever - nuts, fruit, dried fruit, honey - whatever your diet allows - you can make them in individual portions - grab one and go.

OR premade bowls of boiled egg, veggies, fruits, sliced meats etc.

I'd premeasure some things and see what you like!
  • giorgioc722
    Options

Have you talked to a professional about this? NES (night eating syndrome) and NSRED (nocturnal sleep related eating disorders) are eating disorders and a doctor may be able to help you come up with strategies to cope with this.

I never thought it to be a disorder, I'm just trying really hard to stay within my cal range and very often that tends to leave me very hungry. I'm in the process of trying to figure out if it's the eating or exercise.

I've come to weigh everything so I know my cal intake now, but I'm unsure if I don't give myself enough active exercise credit.

I might see a doctor soon if it continues, I've been good the past two nights for the most part.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I never thought it to be a disorder, I'm just trying really hard to stay within my cal range and very often that tends to leave me very hungry. I'm in the process of trying to figure out if it's the eating or exercise.

I've come to weigh everything so I know my cal intake now, but I'm unsure if I don't give myself enough active exercise credit.

I might see a doctor soon if it continues, I've been good the past two nights for the most part.

Everything is a disorder on MFP.. I choose to eat in a certain manner, so not only to I have a bad relationship with food (I don't) I also apparently have an eating disorder (I don't). Well according to the people on here. If you think it might be a possibility check it out. Otherwise you probably just need to eat enough of the right foods before bed time.

Maybe its sugar cravings. I used to wake up wanting chocolate at 2am. Could also just be habit. You wake up hungry at this hour because you have eating for so long at this hour. (I struggled with that when I switched from night shift to day shift). Also my ex used to drag me out to eat at 1am if we were up drinking. He never ate dinner pre-drinking. only afterwards in the middle of the night. (oh yes. I like to drink.. and sometimes it's a lot, therefore I am an alcoholic *sigh*(i'm not))

If you're that hungry, you might do well by adding a big salad in with your dinner. Fiber is filling and really good for you.