How many net calories should be my minium?

Options
teecee60
teecee60 Posts: 47 Member
I would like to lose at least 15 more pounds by Thanksgiving. According to a BMR calculator I found online, I should consume 1700 calories to maintain my weight (with no exercise) based on my age, height and weight. That means to lose a healthy 2 lbs per week...I need to save 7000 calories per week to lose at that rate. That means I have to save 1000 calories per day. 1700 minus 1000 = 700 which means I should consume only 700 net calories per day to lose at a rate of 2 lbs per day. Am I doing this calculation right. Everyone I talk to says that is too few calories. BUT...2 lbs per week weight loss doesn't seem like an unhealthy goal? Please help me figure this out!!!!

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't drop below 1200 per day according to MFP. Speed isn't everything. Health has to come first!
  • shainafay
    shainafay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Using your own numbers and logic, maybe you should be exercising more? Do you exercise at all?
  • dawnwritesnow
    dawnwritesnow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2lbs per week is feasible for someone larger, but it looks like you would be putting your health at risk if you try for that. Consult with your doctor, first, of course, but it seems you would be healthier losing 0.5-1lb per week.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you have only 15lbs to lose a 2lbs a week is not safe and probably won't work... .5lbs a week is more realistic...Why do you HAVE to lose the weight by Thanksgiving???
  • tarsha426
    tarsha426 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would stay within the 1200 calorie range losing weight is not a race to see who gets there first it's a life style change. Being healthy and maintaining your weight loss is the ultimate goal. 700 calories is way to low you will lose a lot of muscle mass. :happy: results!!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    edited because I misunderstood your OP.

If you want to lose weight, you could eat as low as BMR and you would lose quickly. Further, you could eat BMR plus most of your exercise cals. Whatever you read, makes no sense to me, maybe you were reading about TDEE?? BMR is the bottom line amount you should ever eat. I ate at BMR and lost fast. It's not the healthiest way to lose, but if you can eat that low, and you don't have a lot to lose so you wont be doing it for too long, then maybe it's ok. Going under BMR is just stupid.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    2 lbs. a week is for someone with 75 or more lbs. to lose not 15. You should be 1 lbs. a week its not healthy to lose weight to fast. Most of the people who do lose weight fast end up putting it right back on and then some. For a women the minimum is 1200 per day and you should eat at least half of your exercise calories back.
  • grammy125
    grammy125 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a wellness coach to help in my weight loss. She says not to go below 1200 calories or your body can go into starvation mode and start storing your sugar causing you to not lose. I have heard this even before she told me. Just be cautious :smile:
  • teecee60
    Options
    Ok...this is good feedback!!! Next question, so let's say I stay at the minimum calorie restriction of 1200 calories per day which seems to be ok, right? Then say I go for a 1/2 hour swim or 1 hour walk and burn 300. Are you saying that I should eat 150 of those back for a total calorie intake of 1350 per day? (That would be net calories at 1050). Is that too low?
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    700 is too low, one can lose quickly by eating this but you have to support your body and by doing that you need at least 1200. For your bodies sake please eat at least that amount, you'll still lose weight and you'll be able to keep it off. I promise. Your body will hoard everything if you eat/ net below 1200... I am proof to this because your body fears starvation and wants to protect you.
  • teecee60
    Options
    And yes, I do exercise at least 5 days a week and average about 300 calories burnt per day. I do it by walking & swimming. My knee joints won't let me do more. But...I plan to add in strength training too.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Ok...this is good feedback!!! Next question, so let's say I stay at the minimum calorie restriction of 1200 calories per day which seems to be ok, right? Then say I go for a 1/2 hour swim or 1 hour walk and burn 300. Are you saying that I should eat 150 of those back for a total calorie intake of 1350 per day? (That would be net calories at 1050). Is that too low?

Yes. 1200 is what you should net.
  • PaigeJMP
    PaigeJMP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200 burn 500 through exercise nets 700. The math works but it may be difficult to drop to 1200 per day while workng out at that intensity
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    try using the BMR (Base Metobolic Rate) calculator on this site
    www.fat2fitradio.com

it also has body fat percentage calculators
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    try using the BMR (Base Metobolic Rate) calculator on this site
    www.fat2fitradio.com

if you type in your current weight when it asks for your goal weight it will give your current BMR, I generally try not to eat below that.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose at least 15 more pounds by Thanksgiving. According to a BMR calculator I found online, I should consume 1700 calories to maintain my weight (with no exercise) based on my age, height and weight. That means to lose a healthy 2 lbs per week...I need to save 7000 calories per week to lose at that rate. That means I have to save 1000 calories per day. 1700 minus 1000 = 700 which means I should consume only 700 net calories per day to lose at a rate of 2 lbs per day. Am I doing this calculation right. Everyone I talk to says that is too few calories. BUT...2 lbs per week weight loss doesn't seem like an unhealthy goal? Please help me figure this out!!!!

You BRM isn't what matters. You burn more than that lying in bed all day. You need to NET 1000 less, not do 1000 less than BMR. Calculate your TDEE if you were sedentary, then log all exercise and try to NET 1000 less than you burn.

And 2 lb/week is an unhealthy goal if you're close to your ideal weight. It's only a healthy goal if you're very overweight.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a wellness coach to help in my weight loss. She says not to go below 1200 calories or your body can go into starvation mode and start storing your sugar causing you to not lose. I have heard this even before she told me. Just be cautious :smile:

Your "wellness coach" is telling you the right thing for the wrong reason. "Starvation mode" is nonsense and your body cannot "store sugar."
  • RLPearce92
    Options
    yes you dont want to be dipping below 1200, your body needs fuel to survive you dont want to starve your body as that can make losing fat difficult to budge and weight you do lose can come back with a vengeance once resuming a more healthy calorie intake. What others are saying is great advice, do more exercise to create the deficit. if you want the weight loss to stick and to be healthy a 1lb a week weight loss is better!
    good luck
  • slim4life9112013
    Options
    Everyone is different; ask your Doctor is my recommendation :heart: I was told not to go under 1500 Everyone is different & should be on safe side by checking with professional. If.you are looking for moral support please check me out & add me as a supporter/friend…Good luck