Afraid of being thin: the other side of weight loss (wordy!)

Options

Replies

• madblondebint
    madblondebint Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since I lost 2 stone last year I have had a lot more male attention. It really freaks me out. I put on weight in the first place so I would become invisible to the world, and I enjoyed the anonymity. I'm happily married but this attention causes big rifts in my relationship. I'm scared that if I continue to lose weight that my marriage will implode, but I'm on a fast track to diabetes so can't stay at this weight.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    This came at the perfect time because I am sitting here fighting this battle right this moment. I went through rape and an abusive relationship and thought I would be fine when I lost the weight, but all it has done is making me overly fearful that something could happen again. I was just fine being that fat wall flower that everyone ignored that dressed all homely. It is crazy to me to be this afraid because, but it is subconsciously always there in the back of my mind. Like a love hate relationship.....I want to love being healthy, but I hate the attention that it brings.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    ... It's like your body suddenly becomes public property...

Yes! That's exactly my sentiment. I'm not a fan of attention (male or female), but it does feel exactly like my body is now public property open for discussion/critique/review. That's exactly it!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from.

To me, it is a matter of letting other people define us. When we're overweight, we let that perception of us become part of our identity. When we're objectified, we internalize that too. That's not cool.

It doesn't matter what you look like, fat, thin, peg leg, whatever. That's not who you are. Who you are comes from no one but you. Don't give other people that power.

That's how I feel anyway.

Very wise words. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

I agree with the first quoted poster. Sometimes it takes sitting down with a professional (therapist, someone with your church, etc) when you've dealt with trauma like sexual assault, which I'm sure greatly plays into all of these feelings. It's common for people to say they feel safer when they're overweight because they tend to blend in with society. When they're thin and feel more attractive, they stand out and they don't always know how to deal with the attention.

Maybe have a session with a professional and see how and where your self esteem ties into all these issues. Hugs and best of luck.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Can't help you there. Both thin and fat I am not traditionally attractive. No matter how good my body looks my face ensures I will not be constantly hit on. Maybe you could look on your natural beauty as a good thing.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand and just nearly 6 months ago, maybe a little longer, I was 238 pounds, now I am 171 pounds. The last time I was that size was in the early 2000's. I still do not get men approaching me though, (maybe they are scared) but I do get the stares and I have the "fat" girl mentality to an extent. The problem with me was that I was always thin from birth, and I began to gain weight in college and it just kept escalating after my son was born. So, I have been fat for nearly 10 years but I was skinny for slightly longer. So, I have the best of both worlds I guess.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options

To me, it is a matter of letting other people define us. When we're overweight, we let that perception of us become part of our identity. When we're objectified, we internalize that too. That's not cool.

It doesn't matter what you look like, fat, thin, peg leg, whatever. That's not who you are. Who you are comes from no one but you. Don't give other people that power.

Yes, I agree. It would be nice if value wasn't determined by beauty, but it is.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've felt this way as well. My personal method of coping is to work on keeping my body as strong as I can, take some self defense classes, etc. On one hand, it makes me angry - I shouldn't have to worry about defending myself or avoiding aggressive unwanted male attention just because I'm thinner, but I guess I do. But the more I feel prepared physically to handle the situation, the easier it is to be comfortable in my smaller body.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Since I'm 55 now I'm not so worried about men thinking I'm smoking hot or sexy even when I do get to my goal weight. It used to be in my teens and 20's, "Hello, my EYES are up here!"
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Very wise words. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

I agree with the first quoted poster. Sometimes it takes sitting down with a professional (therapist, someone with your church, etc) when you've dealt with trauma like sexual assault, which I'm sure greatly plays into all of these feelings. It's common for people to say they feel safer when they're overweight because they tend to blend in with society. When they're thin and feel more attractive, they stand out and they don't always know how to deal with the attention.

Maybe have a session with a professional and see how and where your self esteem ties into all these issues. Hugs and best of luck.

For me, the issue is really all encompassing and not related to feeling "safe". It's about living in a stranger's body. It's about living a life with a very different set of "rules." For example, I have never eaten a meal where my intake wasn't judged. When I was morbidly obese, I was eating too much or not the right things. As I've been losing weight, I'm either still eating too much or not the right things or I'm not eating enough and "surely you can have chocolate lava cake explosion just this once." The judging has become like white noise. I didn't care what people said when I was morbidly obese and I don't care now. But last month I had dinner with people I've only met since I lost weight. There was no judging of intake, no pushing of this/that or the other thing and it felt like there was a giant "hole" in the dining experience. It's not that I want or prefer people judging every bite of food, it's that such experiences are the absolute norm. So when it doesn't happen, it's extraordinarily odd and uncomfortable. That's not the best example, but it's just a very, very different world for a morbidly obese person and a normal sized person. And making the adjustment is very difficult.

It's a little like every single aspect of your life feels as out of place as someone running around in shorts and a tank top in the middle of a blizzard. Every aspect of life. Everything.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is gonna be a long reply and I hope someone will relate:

I wanted to lose weight because I was afraid my boyfriend of two years (who is constantly getting compliments on his model-esque physique) was gonna dump me for someone hotter. That was the crazy, insecure, shallow (which I didn't realize at the time) girl 6 months ago. 6 months doesn't seem like a long time, but considering who I have been my entire life I have made DRASTIC changes in my mentality towards my body and myself as a person.

Growing up I watched my mother suffer from low self-esteem and insecurities. Yo-yo dieting, buying expensive work out equipment, constantly changing her clothes, her hair style, ALWAYS putting on make up. She was never satisfied, never happy with what she had. I always thought my mom was the most beautiful woman and people always complimented her (she's a musician as well with a banging voice). She always brushed off the compliments and seemed embarrassed by them.

Unfortunately I inherited her habits. I was always the funny, dorky, bigger girl with all he hot guy friends who slept with the dumb, hot chicks. I constantly compared myself to them and asked why not me? I was never satisfied with my hair, make up, clothes, every inch of my body was disgusting. Any male who gave me attention I thought was pathetic because how could anyone like me?

Until I met my bf. He was gorgeous and funny and charming and all the girls wanted him yada yada yada. I had NO IDEA why he wanted anything to do with me. Unfortunately for the better part of our relationship I let my insecurities dictate my emotions and ended up really hurting him. I was jealous and would "emotionally" cheat to make myself feel better. I needed reassurance that I was good enough for him and his words just went in one ear and out the other. It's rather embarrassing.

About 2 years in we moved across the country together and I gained a decent amount of weight from depression and not being active. I felt disgusting and ugly and my unhappiness made our relationship worse. I was afraid he would leave me. He didn't understand, but he tried his best to make me feel good. One day I got a bug up my *kitten* and kicked off this whole healthy eating and work out thing, JUST because I wanted to look "hot" for him (i didnt tell him that part). He encouraged me because he saw it was making me happy.

After awhile I started embracing the feeling of being strong and focused less on trying to be "skinny" and hot. Nowadays I'm usually in work out clothes, sweaty, with no make up. I love working out and eating well because the way it makes me feel, not how I look to other people. When I get hit on by guys, normally I would be disgusted and it would bother me, but now I laugh it off and go on with my day.

One day he felt my hip bone and said how skinny I was. I said "don't you want me to be skinny?" and He told me he liked me anyway I am. He liked me before and now. It was like someone just punched me in the face. I realized how many times in the past 3 years he had complimented me, embraced me, and NEVER ONCE put me down or called me ugly or fat. Why did I think for so long I wasn't good enough? Well now I've realized that I am good enough for anyone, and not because of how I look. My happiness is now the most attractive thing about me. I wish I would have realized that a long time ago.

PS: This is a great story that helped me:
    http://www.rolereboot.org/life/details/2013-06-when-your-mother-says-shes-fat
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    bump

dealing with this now in my life...
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Can't help you there. Both thin and fat I am not traditionally attractive. No matter how good my body looks my face ensures I will not be constantly hit on. Maybe you could look on your natural beauty as a good thing.

I'm sure you have a great personality though. I think anyone can be attractive with just that alone. You can always get a new hair do and some cute clothes and a little makeup to spice up your look though. Trust me there is someone out there who will find you attractive, you just haven't met them yet.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Because I was attractive, I couldn't possibly be deep and thoughtful or have anything to offer intellectually.

...ummm Beauty and intelligence are not inversely proportional you know. They aren't even connected.

Or do you mean you worried that since people were not as attracted to you before that means you were boring, and being more attractive just tipped the scale a little in your favor? I guess I get that...

But...look wasn't this the expected result? Attraction is based on personality and looks. You improved one and people liked it.

There's an article on Cracked I read a while ago which was explaining some hard truths. One of them was for men explaining why being a 'nice guy' wasn't enough on it's own to be a hit with the ladies. It said basically, that's fine, but over there is another nice guy, but he can also play the guitar so he gets more attention. Can't deal with that? Tough, that's how people work. Learn to play the guitar or something.

Being a decent unique human being isn't necessarily enough to get attention. Now you're a unique human being who is also physically attractive and people like that. Stop pretending that appreciation of one of your features is an insult to the others.
  • 2spamagnet
    2spamagnet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I've felt this way as well. My personal method of coping is to work on keeping my body as strong as I can, take some self defense classes, etc. On one hand, it makes me angry - I shouldn't have to worry about defending myself or avoiding aggressive unwanted male attention just because I'm thinner, but I guess I do. But the more I feel prepared physically to handle the situation, the easier it is to be comfortable in my smaller body.

From a man's perspective who takes self defense seriously, I fully agree with the quote above. I have found that aggression is not something that many women take to. If you do not think of yourself as aggressive, GIVE YOURSELF PERMISSION TO BE AGGRESSIVE and tell people to back the F up if they are making you uncomfortable.

Being thinner, lighter, stronger is something that I see as a self preservation goal - it will (hopefully) help me live longer. And should I need strength to protect my first Right (to continue living), hopefully I will have enough.

I also agree with the suggestions on talking with a good counselor on the wide variety of issues that this brings up (self image type issues, as well as finding ways to deal with the unwanted attention - from polite to aggressive options, depending on the situation).

What ever solutions you find, they will be hard, but very worth the effort.

Robert
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump - interesting and enlightening
  • melr01
    melr01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with weight my whole life. When I was younger (highschool) the guys I liked never even looked in my direction. I once overheard a few guys (one was my crush) talking about me and a few other girls. The comment made about me was I might be "okay" if I lost 50lbs. I was devastated. I finally got a boyfriend and after a few years of dating and being in an unhealthy relationship I gained alot of weight. I was a size 28 (plus size). He broke up with me telling me I was fat and he was no longer attracted to me and no one would be. Again I was devastated. I lost 50lbs and got down to a size 18 within a year. I was happy but lacked self esteem. Fast forward 10 years. I was back up to a size 26 before it hit me that I needed to change. I'm now down to a size 18 but still lacking the confidence and self esteem in myself. This might be the reason my weight loss has plateaued. I have been trying to date for a few years and it hasn't been going well. I worry I won't meet anyone until I lose weight but then I worry about a man only wanting me once I lose weight. I have it in my head that I won't be attractive until I lose weight and fear that losing weight won't make me attractive. I've spoke to someone about it but they wanted to focus on my childhood which made me feel like I was on some talk show in the 80's blaming my mother for my problems. I think the key is finding the self confidence in who I am as a person. Staying true to who I am no matter what size I am and loving myself. Easier said than done and it takes a lot of work. But then so does weight loss. So much of this is a mental game. I know I'm a good person. I've never been thin or hot but I hope to find out. I do have fears about how that may change how people view me but most important is how I view myself.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can relate to this even though I've never been really overweight. I've always gotten alot of unwanted attention from men and I feel like alot of people don't take me seriously. It is hard professionally at times. It is difficult to discourage flirtatious behavior from someone who is your superior without making things really bad for yourself. I know it may seem like a horrible thing to complain about, but I actually think that I'm very smart and no one notices. I deal with it by dressing modestly and being very professional. But I totally understand about being afraid to be "hot" and dealing with all kinds of crazy things. That is part of the reason that I don't want to really lose any more weight. I don't want any more attention. I'm actually looking forward to getting older so people will take me seriously. And I would never admit this to anyone in real life because everyone would think I was a major jerk. I feel like a jerk just thinking about these things!
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As a pre and very young teen I was skinny as a rail. Mother nature came to visit and I developed into a very well built young woman. That de[rew attention from every mail that saw me. I could not walk to the library without wolf whistles from truckers, and the younger guys thought they could get away with anything. Life was not fun. My family did not know what was happening and just happened to more to another part of town. I did start to gain as I didn't want the kind of attention that I had been getting. It was easy to hid behind the massive weight. I got so used to it that I have trouble letting go of it. As I lose 10 ponds and see a difference in my body I fight the idea to hid it. It is all mental and something I have to get past. With a loving husband this is working