Not Losing On Keto/Low Carb

Options
(If you do not agree with low carb/keto, leave now. There are plenty of other threads to socialize on and being negative doesn't do good for either of us.)

Hey guys!

So... I've been attempting Keto for my second go around. (I am sensitive to eggs/dairy/coconut, just an fyi. I can handle a T of mayo if eating beef... and butter is ok in small amounts... it's not that bad.) I believe my calorie deficit (when there is one) is pretty sufficient for weight loss. I eat to maintenance maybe once a week, twice at most... I just get very hungry one day after a hard exercise day. I exercise moderate-intense 4x a week in the least.

Some days you will note I have done IF. My ability to do so varies so I can't do it much but I believe I've done it for 4 or so days. But long story short... mirror isn't changing. Measurements haven't really budged.

My only guess is my nut and high protein intake is stalling me. I have gone nut-free and haven't really noticed a difference, but I'm willing to give it a go again. Should I maybe try fewer cold cuts/ veggie patties and perhaps take on bacon/ pork rolls or higher fat beef? Maybe add more mayo/butter to my meat instead of eating almonds?

Do I need a carb-up? Thursday I had a horrid day of muscle weakness... I was surprised I made it through my workout. Perhaps my glycogen is low. I don't have any "flu" symptoms.

Diary code is 6784. There are usually notes on the bottom. Thanks for the help!

Replies

• mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hiya Ruby :-)

For my two pennyworth, what really jumps out at me is how low your intake of fats is lately - your protein is usually much higher, often double. Keto relies upon sufficient fats intake - fats are meant to replace carbs as your primary fuel.

Secondly, your calorie count of late has been pretty low, for instance last Saturday you only ate 1,147 calories despite 16 hours on your feet.

Before that your calories were usually several hundred over 2,000, which is more likely to be maintenance level.

Have you tried consistently eating 1600--1800 and upping your fats? That's what I'd do...jmo :-)

Edited to add Ruby - I don't know if you eat back exercise calories, but I'd also suggest not eating them, or only a fraction of them if you do -- I never lose when I eat back exercise calories.
    Good luck :-)
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what happened to your fruits and veggies, even a paleo diet takes those into account??

this is what Me and my buddy have dug up on the matter

Since the turn of this century, Carbophobia – the fear of carbohydrates – has rooted itself in American food and nutrition culture. With the rise of type 2 diabetes, some people will swear that carbs are the food equivalent of Satan himself. And of course an entire cottage industry of low carb diets with billions of dollars in revenue has sprung up, perpetuating some irresponsible myths.

But not only is this carbo-fear mongering unbased, it can lead to worse outcomes for people with prediabetes and diabetes. In an excellent piece published on Present Diabetes’ Nutrizine, Registered Dietitian and Diabetes expert Hope Warshaw outlines the reasons. You should read the entire article, but if you don’t have time, here is a summary of 4 carb myths:

Myth #1: People with diabetes need to drastically reduce their carb intake.

WRONG! In healthy adults, carbs should account for 45-65% of total calorie intake. People with diabetes should be in the lower range, but not below the 40% mark.

Our bodies need carbohydrates to survive: they provide the fuel for our body and brain, and they provide essential nutrients. America’s problem is the TYPE of carbohydrates we consumes are the wrong ones. We eat too many simple carbs, and not enough nutrient dense carbohydrates. Our cookie to kale ratio is the problem, not carbs.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    We have been digging around trying to determine which diet is best for us and so far the Mediterrean with a 5/2 fast period seems to be the best choice for us. However it is not for everyone.

This is some info we came across when looking at foods on the glycemic index.

Earlier this summer, research published in the Journal of the American Medical Association added a new twist to the classic low fat vs. low carb diet debate. Measurements of bodily energy expenditure and hormone levels were taken of 3 groups of people who had partaken in recent weight loss and were now in weight maintenance mode. The three groups ate one of 3 diet types:

1.low-fat diet (60% of energy from carbohydrate, 20% from fat, 20% from protein; high glycemic load)
    2.low–glycemic index diet (40% from carbohydrate, 40% from fat, and 20% from protein; moderate glycemic load)
    3.very low-carbohydrate diet (10% from carbohydrate, 60% from fat, and 30% from protein; low glycemic load)
    The group with the best outcome after several weeks?

Group number 2, consuming a low glycemic diet, fared the best. The low fat diet slowed down the metabolism the most. The low carb diet negatively affected hormone levels, increasing chances of inflammation and disease.

Conclusion: a low glycemic index diet as the best approach to weight loss and maintenance over time.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I see lots of volume measurements.

You can't accurately measure peanut butter in volume.

Tare up your scale with the spoon on it, then scoop, then weigh.
  • mushroomsontoast
    Options

Since the turn of this century, Carbophobia – the fear of carbohydrates – has rooted itself in American food and nutrition

Are you joking? Have you seen the average American 21stC diet?

I have personally helped 2 diabetics off medication by diet alone, and fortunately many other diabetics worldwide have found that carbohydrates spike their blood sugars/keep them on meds and have found immense improvement following a low carbohydrate diet. .

"40+% carbs for diabetics is ideal", what planet are you on??:noway:
  • SaraAxm
    SaraAxm Posts: 30
    Options
    Sorry to say this, but if you're not losing - you're eating too much. There is no way around it, keto or not.

Generally I would also say that you're eating way to little fat and way to much protein. Also, i think it would be preferable if you skipped out on the peanut butter (nearly all your carbs are from peanut butter) and ate vegetables instead.
  • SaraAxm
    Options
    I see lots of volume measurements.

You can't accurately measure peanut butter in volume.

Tare up your scale with the spoon on it, then scoop, then weigh.

THIS!
  • mushroomsontoast
    Options
    It shouldn't be too hard to measure a tablespoon, Ruby is a friend and she knows what she's doing re measurements :smile:

I'm more concerned with the comments of Lichen, and worried that anyone might take that advice.

Diabetic/Pre-Diabetic? 40% carbs will keep you on meds all your life, you can be assured of that.

Low fat? Prepare for surgery - your gall bladder will die and you'll get gall stones.
    Gall stones are known as the fat person's problem...why? Because EVERY fat person has at some point tried a low fat diet - and thereby destroyed their gall bladder. Leading to...ta dah....gall stones.
  • SaraAxm
    Options
    It shouldn't be too hard to measure a tablespoon, Ruby is a friend and she knows what she's doing re measurements :smile:

You're wrong. Many measure up too much, it's ridiculously hard to measure a table spoon of something since depending on how it's packed it will weight differently. When it comes to peanut butter, which is very calorie dense, a couple of grams to much can make the calorie difference that will tip her over from weight loss - to maintenance.
  • pcastagner
    Options

I'm more concerned with the comments of Lichen, and worried that anyone might take that advice.

Diabetic/Pre-Diabetic? 40% carbs will keep you on meds all your life, you can be assured of that.

Low fat? Prepare for surgery - your gall bladder will die and you'll get gall stones.
    Gall stones are known as the fat person's problem...why? Because EVERY fat person has at some point tried a low fat diet - and thereby destroyed their gall bladder. Leading to...ta dah....gall stones.

It's also not hard to measure a gram. And way more precise.

The only things that should be measured in teaspoons are liquids like oil with relatively uniform dimensions.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Since the turn of this century, Carbophobia – the fear of carbohydrates – has rooted itself in American food and nutrition

Are you joking? Have you seen the average American 21stC diet?

I have personally helped 2 diabetics off medication by diet alone, and fortunately many other diabetics worldwide have found that carbohydrates spike their blood sugars/keep them on meds and have found immense improvement following a low carbohydrate diet. .

"40+% carbs for diabetics is ideal", what planet are you on??:noway:

Shhhh. He and his buddy are in their own special world. We don't want to spoil for them. :bigsmile:
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree about weighing things to the gram. My "tablespoon" of peanut butter, when I weight it, ends up only filling about 1/2 or so of the tablespoon. (Always a bit sad, but true!)
  • mushroomsontoast
    Options
    I give up Ruby, I'm not argumentative by nature so I won't continue in this debate.

I know that YOU know what a tbsp is, for God's sake anyone with half a brain knows. You aren't a "newbie", like folks are presuming.
    A tablespoon is....measure your tbsp....level it off with a knife.There is your tbsp. NOT rocket science.

Pls try what I said....1600--1800 cals and higher fats, for 2 weeks.:wink:
    Good luck, I'm sure it will work for you :-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing weight, you are not eating at a calorie deficit. Have you accurately plugged in your information into MFP to find out what your basic metabolic rate is?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I give up Ruby, I'm not argumentative by nature so I won't continue in this debate.

I know that YOU know what a tbsp is, for God's sake anyone with half a brain knows. You aren't a "newbie", like folks are presuming.
    A tablespoon is....measure your tbsp....level it off with a knife.There is your tbsp. NOT rocket science.

Pls try what I said....1600--1800 cals and higher fats, for 2 weeks.:wink:
    Good luck, I'm sure it will work for you :-)

You are assuming peanut butter has a uniform density. It does not. It's not a homogenous product.

If you are so sure, measure with your teaspoon, weigh the results, and then report back.

And there is nothing "newbie" about finding a measurement error, and no hierarchy of errors that only newbies or experts make. This is a normal part of the process and a great way to get frustrated and give up is to call yourself an expert who can't be wrong, and find a new diet because this or that "doesn't work".

Weigh the damn food. You have a scale, use it.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with others. your measurements to calories is way off. It also seems you are logging low on your sodium per items too.

Example... 3 oz of chicken breasts is going to be more than 98 calories. You listed almonds and put 1 for sodium. Almonds either have more sodium or none at all... I eat all kinds of almonds and none have ever had just 1 of sodium.

I don't know where your getting your macro amounts, but you need to read your labels. Measure/weight your foods and use grams if at all possible.

I think you are getting way more than you think you are in calories
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I take the information from the food bank on MFP, I do not control what is listed, but I can try to do another search.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep chugging on...
  • SaraAxm
    Options

Myth #1: People with diabetes need to drastically reduce their carb intake.

WRONG! In healthy adults, carbs should account for 45-65% of total calorie intake. People with diabetes should be in the lower range, but not below the 40% mark.

Our bodies need carbohydrates to survive: they provide the fuel for our body and brain, and they provide essential nutrients. America’s problem is the TYPE of carbohydrates we consumes are the wrong ones. We eat too many simple carbs, and not enough nutrient dense carbohydrates. Our cookie to kale ratio is the problem, not carbs.

Wow, you really need to update your nutrition knowledge and take a course in how the human body works. fats and Protein are both essential - however carbs are not since the body can create glucose via gluconeogenesis.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I take the information from the food bank on MFP, I do not control what is listed, but I can try to do another search.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep chugging on...

Remember meat is usually listed as raw.

If it looks too good to be true, it is. And just keep looking for possible measurement errors. I keep finding them, and I've been at this for 8 months, first in another site and then here.