How you feel about crossfit?

Options
A crossfit gym just opened up in my town...
I need help and motivation with exercise...
Do you feel like it's just another fad workout routine?
Did it work for you?
What should I expect?
Any other options or ideas?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Expect it to be $$$$$$$$$$$. Although I do know people who do it and really love it, there is no way I could afford it. Plus I'm a bit of a loner when it comes to working out and wouldn't want people cheering me on and crap.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I would love to try crossfit, but I really can't afford it right now. My current 24/7 gym means I have no excuse NOT to exercise and the limited times available at the local crossfit would give me way too many excuses not to train.

I love the fact that the motivation and personal training is all included with crossfit. It's also something that I feel I would be pulled into and would get totally psyched about turning up for every day. You've really got to be committed though, I don't think it's something you can turn up and expect to go easy. It's go hard or go home with crossfit.

My limited understanding!
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Did it work for you?
    What should I expect?

Crossfit is not a "fad" workout routine. It's not necessarily the best there is, but it combines a variety of tried and proven fitness approaches into a random mix that is ever changing. You won't do the same workout twice for at least 4-6 weeks, and then when you do it again you'll find you're better - faster, stronger, more of everything even though you haven't done those exact exercises at all in between.

Crossfit worked for me because the trainers in my area were great. I ultimately stopped because I was going at 6AM and I couldn't keep that up forever, but I look forward to going back again.

Expect a combination of skilled olympic lifts with various cardio activities, mixed up. For example: Row 400m, 10 burpees, 5 power cleans, repeat as many times as possible in 7 minutes (this is called an "AMRAP" workout in crossfit-speak: as many rounds as possible within the time limit). Or sometimes, it's do the workout as fast as possible. Or sometimes, it's discover your maximum weight for a particular lift. Loud music and solid gym equipment in a garage-like setting are the norm: don't expect fancy showers, workout clothes, or beautiful squeaky clean floors.

I personally think that you can't go far wrong with crossfit. You should wind up strong but not body-builder like, with plenty of endurance and fat-burning muscle mass.

Expense wise I haven't compared it to other options, but the gym in my area didn't seem more expensive than the other options to me. Plus, if you are worried about cost, once you've had the training and are confident you can perform the exercises with correct form, it's reasonably easy to get what you need to do the workouts at home.

Osric
  • brandon_2A
    Options
    If I had the space or money I'd be interested in doing it myself, at home.....but I don't. I certainly can't afford the cost to join their gym.

I have an odd fascination with it though. All I've really seen are youtube videos and the crossfit games so I feel like I'm not in good enough shape to even try. It's probably not accurate but it's how I feel about it.
  • mini_girl7
    mini_girl7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think Crossfit is fantastic!

Are you competitive with yourself and others? Are you not afraid to try new things? Do you like to work hard, often times out of your comfort zone? Do you like lifting weights??? Do you like change or predictable routines?

It just depends on your personality. I enjoy working out with others, lifting and competing with others. It drives me.

I don't enjoy aerobics classes and predictability. I like the challenge of a new WOD and the Rx factor, someone saying you need to try this weight during this workout.

You also need to use commonsense in Crossfit. It's great to work hard, learn new stuff, and push yourself, BUT you need to find that balance so as not to get injured. It's ultimately your body and you know it best and there is NOTHING WRONG with choosing a lighter weight than is Rxed. Sometimes I do part of the workout at the Rx weight, then drop down to a lighter weight or vice versa. The point is to challenge yourself in a SMART way, and not just be stagnant as so many people are in weight room gyms!

Have FUN with it!! And good luck! :wink:
  • OsricTheKnight
    Options
    I have an odd fascination with it though. All I've really seen are youtube videos and the crossfit games so I feel like I'm not in good enough shape to even try. It's probably not accurate but it's how I feel about it.

At the gym I went to the trainers were very good at scaling the workout to any level. For example see the episodes of "Killing the fat man" that are posted on youtube where they work with his father (late in the series as I remember it).

However if you're unsure of your ability I wouldn't try it at home. Crossfit is not a DIY type of workout, I think it'd be too easy to injure yourself at first without help.

Building your own crossfit gym is definitely achievable with only a few expensive items to buy. I think you can do it with a power rack, bench, bumper plates, a rope, and maybe a medicine ball. They have a PDF on a garage gym http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/cfjissue1_Sep02.pdf which has a really complete list if you want to go whole hog.

I have a blind spot when it comes to cost and fitness. Since I'm going to die about 20 years early if I don't pay the price of fitness now, it's worth almost any amount to me to fix. I would suggest it comes before cars and houses - I can neither drive nor enjoy my home if I'm dead.

Osric
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    What I think? Any supposedly health conscious company who's CEO thinks 'this could kill you, if you can't accept that, we don't want you' doesn't deserve anyone's time, money or anything but a swift kick to the head.

But considering the workouts? That might hurt less than the WOD.

There are better alternatives that are less expensive and less likely to make your muscle cells explode and destroy your kidneys. Just sayin'.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is the massive variability in quality across the boxes. You can google some awful examples of people doing really dangerous reps of o-lifts and their trainer cheering them on to do more/not correcting them. Just google, you'll find them. On the other hand there are reportedly some great places out there. It's like any franchise: it's overall quality is dependant on walking off the street into any one of the outlets and them being of the same quality. Think something like McDonalds: you'll get the same big mac in every town you stop in. There's a corporate attention to detail that ensures that all franchisee's adhere to the same standard. That's obviously lacking with Crossfit.

They have been responsible for keeping interest in the o-lifts alive, so I guess they get props for that. They have also popularised the use of rings.

I suppose the real thing about Crossfit is philosophical. I'm not sure what the point of it is. In that, it's all training for what? What's the goal? If it's just to "smoke" the trainee, that's pretty easy to achieve ( send your money to me instead, I will design crazy workouts for you!).To quote Dan John: "The goal, is to keep the goal, the goal" and to be fit is to be fit for a task. Designing workouts that carryover to particular tasks is hard, but what task is Crossfit for? And is it the best way to achieve it? That, I suppose, will need to be decided by the individual trainee.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I work in a fitness facility, and the trainer I work with teaches "onramp" for people who are not quite fit enough to go to crossfit. I know the cost in my town is $100 a month, and people who go there, are very addicted, and my coworker is always commenting on how tough the workouts are. She's a professional athlete, so I think she knows what she's talking about.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    A crossfit gym just opened up in my town...
    I need help and motivation with exercise...
    Did it work for you?
    What should I expect?

I do kettlebells, body weight fitness, tire flips, harness drags, and chopping wood and beating the crap out of stuff with a sledgehammer on my own. It's an AWESOME workout. That said, I probably wouldn't do a crossfit gym because I think it's kind of trendy and expensive. Edit to add: the risk of rhabdomyolisis is there with any workout if you are untrained. ANY beginner should start slowly. ANY newbie who goes balls to the walls for three hours with ANY type of workout their first time (especially if they're also failing to drink enough water) is at risk for kidney damage and yes, even death. No matter what you're doing for activity, start out slow, increase gradually, and don't push yourself too fast. Your body needs time to adapt to the new loads you place on it.
  • OsricTheKnight
    Options
    I suppose the real thing about Crossfit is philosophical. I'm not sure what the point of it is. In that, it's all training for what? What's the goal?

Without judging crossfit correct or incorrect, I think it's only fair to point out that their materials clearly spell out their answer to your question.

"There are ten recognized general physical skills. They are cardiovascular/respiratory endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, coordination, agility, balance, and accuracy. (See “General Physical Skills”, pg. 4, for definitions.) You are as fit as you are competent in each of these ten skills. A regimen develops fitness to the extent that it improves each of these ten skills.
    The implication here is that fitness requires an ability to perform well at all tasks, even unfamiliar tasks, tasks combined in infinitely varying combinations. ... Nature frequently provides largely unforeseeable challenges; train for that by striving to keep the training stimulus broad and constantly varied."

(Quoted from: http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ-trial.pdf)

I think it's a little disingenuous to post as though you know what crossfit is about and question their basic definitions as though they don't exist. It's completely reasonable to argue that they've defined fitness incorrectly, or that their program doesn't achieve their goals, but to ask "What's the point?" when it's clearly spelled out is unfair.

Osric
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I got a regular gym membership and do it on my own. I did a lot of research and watched videos and copied people I've seen doing it at the gym. Luckily my gym has access to most of the equipment used. I don't really like working out in a group, so I'm able to go at my own pace and do what I want. I usually have my bf help me with the heavy lifting.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I just joined a crossfit gym about 3 weeks ago. I wanted to start some strength training, and also still do cardio - which is why crossfit was perfect for me. I also hate running because it's boring.

The workouts are tough enough that sometimes I question whether or not I'll get through it - but that's what I want. You do need the mindset that you'll get through every workout regardless of how hard you think it is. That being said, everything can be scaled. The workout yesterday called for 135 lbs and I used 75. I'm still working on getting good form down. The point is that the exercise should be intense and leave you breathless. I'm sure I could do closer to 135 lbs, but I would take more breaks in between reps and that would decrease the intensity.

It is pricier - but I get coaching on form. They also worry about the programming so I'm not exhausting the same exact muscle group everyday. This may seem insignificant but it's nice not having to plan my own workouts. My gym has class 7 days a week and diverse trainers (some are olympic lifters, some are endurance runners, etc.). Those are the two main reasons I chose it. I do get coached on form, and I'm sure some gyms won't correct you and let you throw your back out.

I don't think crossfit is a fad...it may die down in popularity but the workouts will get you results. Like any exercise program though, diet plays a big part in achieving your goals.

Most gyms post their workouts on their websites - so if you're interested see if any look like they're in line with your fitness goals. Then sign up for an intro class (most gyms have a free class). and see if you like the gym.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I think it looks fun. I want to try the battle ropes.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I love cross fit... Would highly recommend it if your looking to get your booty in high gear
  • XLombardX
    XLombardX Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about CrossFit, but this article scared me half to death:
    https://medium.com/health-fitness-1/97bcce70356d
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to it. A lot of it depends on how good the specific gym ('box') is. If you get a good one, it can be great. A bad one, and you'll get a lot of this

gif.gif

Pros
    -great community
    -interesting exercise routine
    -individual support and attention
    -great variety of equipment
    -easy tracking of progress

Cons
    -expensive. Like, prohibitively expensive
    -sometimes lacks direction (WODs working the same muscle groups many days in a row)
    -paleo diet pushers (again, depends on the gym, but I've seen some horrible nutrition brosciene laid out by crossfit trainers)
    -'trainers' have varying levels of qualification
    -oly lifting for reps/time is a sure path to injury.

If you have the money and it seems like a good place, go for it. I would say its best asset is the community. You can get the same results with a normal gym membership, but it doesn't come with the same built-in support.
  • TheRealBruceWayne
    TheRealBruceWayne Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It's pretentious. Under some circumstances it can make women hotter, but it also makes men into women.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    All the crossfitters I know are a bit obsessive. Which has turned me off from it.
    Because the runners I know aren't at all obsessive. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Neither against or for it. Like all gyms, there are good ones and bad ones. Good trainers and bad trainers. Any of the exercises could be simulated at any other gym, however the community of Crossfit is pretty supportive. All in all if you feel it's going to up your game, and you can do it safely, then go for it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition