Any apple cider vinegar users to help lose?

Options
Anyone had any success with apple cider vinegar for weight loss?

Replies

• Roboman13
    Options
    I don't know if you can lose weight with it, though it is good for controlling diebettes
  • blondieluv2shop
    blondieluv2shop Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have read that it has many benefits. I have been taking Braggs for 2 weeks and feel so much better! More energy, sleeping much better and restless legs under control. I have heard of people losing lots of weight taking it which would be an added bonus for me.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It does not cause weight loss.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    No. Eat at a deficit. Get regular exercise. And you will lose. Falling for gimmicks like this are just silly. Not to say that Apple Cider Vinegar doesn't have it's benefits (I'm sure it does), but to use it to "help" with weight loss is not sustainable.

Who wants to drink that stuff anyway!? :noway:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No, because it doesn't do anything for weight loss...

...but it seems to help a little with my acid reflux/GERD.

It's also delicious with cucumbers and onions.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    It's good for mosquito bites. And salad dressing.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The following is from an article on WebMD:

"Scientific Evidence of Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits

But there are some medical uses of vinegar that do have promise, at least according to a few studies. Here's a rundown of some more recent ones.

Diabetes. The effect of vinegar on blood sugar levels is perhaps the best researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels. For instance, a 2007 study of 11 people with type 2 diabetes found that taking two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar before bed lowered glucose levels in the morning by 4%-6%.
    High cholesterol . A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. However, the study was done in rats, so it's too early to know how it might work in people.
    Blood pressureand heart health. Another study in rats found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. A large observational study also found that people who ate oil and vinegar dressing on salads five to six times a week had lower rates of heart disease than people who didn't. However, it's far from clear that the vinegar was the reason.
    Cancer . A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth. Observational studies of people have been confusing. One found that eating vinegar was associated with a decreased risk of esophageal cancer. Another associated it with an increased risk of bladder cancer.
    Weight Loss . For thousands of years, vinegar has been used for weight loss. White vinegar (and perhaps other types) might help people feel full. A 2005 study of 12 people found that those who ate a piece of bread along with small amounts of white vinegar felt fuller and more satisfied than those who just ate the bread.

While the results of these studies are promising, they are all preliminary. Many were done on animals or on cells in a lab. The human studies have been small. Before we will truly know whether vinegar has any health benefits, much larger studies are needed."

Here's the link to the full article

http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=2
  • blondieluv2shop
    blondieluv2shop Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • callmehoots
    callmehoots Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of it having any effect on weight loss, but I do swear by the stuff for getting through a cold and/or a sore throat. Take a big cup of hot water, a few splashes of Bragg's, lemon juice, honey and cayenne. As long as you don't put too much of the acv, it's really soothing and delicious this way.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Depends if you have any other food with it. Taken on its own I'm sure you would lose weight
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I recently caught strep from my girls and couldn't afford a trip to the doctor. I did an online search for holistic treatments (most adults can get rid if it on their own, but historically I never have) and found an article about all natural (such as Braggs) apple cider vinegar has been used for centuries to kill the strep bacteria in the throat. I began drinking it every day for a week, and noticed that I instantly felt better after each drink. I ate sugar and carbs heavily over the next 2 weeks, and then decided I could NOT continue eating that way and began MFP the following week (last week). I never weighed myself prior to starting MFP because I had weighed shortly before getting strep, and was exactly where I have always been for the past 8 years. After a few days on MFP I weighed, expecting that perhaps I had balanced out the weight gain from the sugar binge, and lost water weight. I expected to see myself exactly where I've always been as a result, and was prepared to not be at all upset if the number on the scale had remained the same. Instead, I was absolutely shocked to find the scale reading 8 lbs lighter. There is NO WAY I lost 8 lbs in the 3 days I'd been on MFP. No way. I've been eating low cal, but not THAT low cal! I remembered reading that apple cider vinegar has been used holistically for many years as a natural weight loss supplement and that it was thought, but unproven, to increase the metabolism. I'll never know for sure if the vinegar did that for me, but let's just put it this way----I'm going to continue drinking it daily. It DOES make me feel much better, and the amish have used it daily for many years to maintain good health. I am not diabetic, but I am hypoglycemic and my blood sugar has been dropping less since drinking it. Try it, it won't hurt you at all. :D
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    If you didn't go to the doctor, how do you know you had a streptococcus infection?
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used it on my hair, not to lose weight. I think I've heard celebrities use it as an appetite suppressant..but they probably would drink their own urine if a dr told them to.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I used it on my hair, not to lose weight. I think I've heard celebrities use it as an appetite suppressant..but they probably would drink their own urine if a dr told them to.

Oh, those crazy celebrities!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I drank it daily for a few weeks, and didn't loose weight but my skin cleared up. I didn't break out at all while I was drinking the ACV. But I quit drinking it on a regular basis because I just couldn't stand the taste anymore.

Also, in my pre-MFP days when I would load up on sugar and fat, I would occasionally get heartburn/acid reflux, and the ACV cleared up acid reflux within hours of drinking it.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it is good for weight loss, but I used it for colds as others have suggested. Also it is supposed to help with balancing PH. I love the taste of vinegary foods so love it with veggies :P
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you didn't go to the doctor, how do you know you had a streptococcus infection?

agreed. Id be a little nervous NOT to seek treatment for strep...it can do funky things to your heart
  • chicpower1
    Options
    I knew I had it because my kids were diagnosed with it and I ALWAYS ALWAYS catch it from them. When I researched medical articles online it said that most adults can get over it on their own, but should seek medical attention if they have trouble kicking it, or develop worsening symptoms. I catch it every year from my kiddos, and in the past when I'd try to overcome it on my own (by simply doing nothing) I gave it 2 weeks before going to the doctor. By then I was so ill with it that I wound up on antibiotics for a month. I'm severely allergic to about 75% of the major antibiotics on the market though, so I try to avoid taking them whenever possible because of my limitations and not wanting to develop immunity to them. I decided to give the vinegar a try for a few days, and gave myself a specific cut-off date. If I didn't feel better by "x" day then I would have to suck it up and go for antibiotics. That was 3 weeks ago. Strep is definitely gone, I feel great, and antibiotics weren't necessary. I'd never risk my children this way because children get strep so much more seriously than adults, but for myself, I was willing to try it for a limited amount of time before rushing for medication. :)
  • chicpower1
    Options
    Here's one of the many articles I read in reference to treating strep with it. I gargled it, and also drank it diluted over the course of several days. http://naturalsociety.com/how-to-treat-strep-throat-naturally-without-drugs/
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I use Apple Cider Vinegar for cooking. My black beans are very yummy with it.