joining the navy

Options
Hi everyone! I am trying to join the Navy and although I meet the body fat composition, I'm a little out of shape when it comes to the PT part and I need to lose 25 lbs to be in the weight standards. Has anyone had a good schedule and diet in order to do this?

I been eating a healthy diet under 1200 calories and my new work out routine consist of the following:
Monday-Circuit and sit up and push ups
tuesday- same as monday
wednesday- 2-3 mile walk/jog+push ups and sit ups
thursday-circuit training + push ups and sit ups
Friday-run an entire PRT at the gym (My husband is in the Navy himself so I use to base gym)
Saturday-REST
Sunday- same as friday

My husband is getting out of the navy in january and I have to wait until my little girl (who is currently 2 months old) is 6 months old before I DEP in. We also have a 3 year old little boy.
My problem is mostly food...
I am just hungry all the time even when drinking a glass of water before each meal... It's really hard for me to not over eat for some reason and I also have problems running. I don't know why but its almost as if I am sabotaging myself. I slow down as soon as it gets hard even though I know for a fact I need to push through....

Replies

• allyson223
    Options
    So much respect and admiration go to you for joining the navy!

Just noticed especially with all your workouts and staying busy with your kids, I'm sure... You need to be eating more than 1200 calories. I know it sounds backwards to be eating more to lose weight. But it is very true. If you aren't giving your body enough food it hoards what you do give it causing you to gain weight. So make sure you are eating enough, definitely more than 1200! Probably closer to 1400.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Make sure your body is telling the difference between HUNGRY and bored/cravings/habit etc. If you eat 200-300 calories every few hours you don't allow yourself to actually become hungry and keep your metabolism constantly moving. Also if you concentrate on fueling yourself with nutritious food (fruits, veggies, lean meat and whole grains) you will not feel as hungry because your body breaks it down at a slower, steadier rate as opposed to highly processed foods. Good luck!
  • SophieBodin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will try to eat closer to 1300-1400 calories a day from now on and I have definitly been trying to eat alot of fruits and vegies and whole grain. We dont really eat unhealthy especially with our son. I dont want him to eat junk food so he mostly eat what we eat and I want it to be a healthy balanced diet. I think its really important as a child to get what is needed. As far as eating 200-300 calories.. I have tried that and its just about impossible for me to do it unfortunetly... I am just running all over the place at all times. My husband is active duty so he isnt home from 5am-5pm monday-thursday and with chores, our new baby girl, my 3 year old son oh and did I mention I am full time college student? lol yeah When I am not working out, taking cares of the kids, making food, or doing chores, I am spending hours on homework. Thank you for the advice, and I have alwasy wanted to be in the military but I got pregnant with our son a month before my ship out date, I think my hubby did it on purpose because he was already in and didnt want me to go in. After he was born I didnt want our family to be seperated anymore than it had to so I followed him and now its his turn to follow me. :)
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to join the Navy, I'm Air Force. One of the things that helped me was finding out from others who were currently in what they did and what the standards I had to meet were. Good luck :)