Diabetic

Options
Is anyone doing the diabetic diet?
I was told by the doctor I have glucose intolerance and need to start a diabetic diet.
I've researched the glucose intolerance diet and it seems pretty difficult.
What are some things you eat for your meals?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic. I eat what I want, lol. Everything in moderation. MFP has been pivotal in helping me start reversing my diabetes.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to a nutritionist right before I got started on this site and she made it all seem so simple. She recommended that I keep my carbohydrates around 35 to 45 per meal and 10 to 15 per snack. With an overall total around 150 for the day. For some reason thinking of it just one meal at a time made is seem simpler. When your carbs are in the right range the rest of the stuff (proteins, fats, etc) seem to fall right in line. Of course those totals were based on my size, age, sex, etc. My levels are mostly in the normal range now. Just don't let it overwhelm you and take it one step at a time. :smile:
  • nestabee
    Options
    I am not a diabetic but my father is. He does a meal replacement shake called body by vi. It is lactose free, has less than 1 gram of sugar and only 7 carbs. He could never drink slimfast because of the sugar content. Now his A1c is less than 6 and has lost more than 40lbs. His Dr. gave him an option when he last was admitted to the hospital and so he took the option of getting better!! I 100% support this product and have myself lost 47lbs. please feel free to check out the product and my website with pics www.bethebiggestloser.com I invite you to take the 90 day challenge and would love to hear from you!
  • dansu2000
    Options
    I am not a diabetic but my father is. He does a meal replacement shake called body by vi. It is lactose free, has less than 1 gram of sugar and only 7 carbs. He could never drink slimfast because of the sugar content. Now his A1c is less than 6 and has lost more than 40lbs. His Dr. gave him an option when he last was admitted to the hospital and so he took the option of getting better!! I 100% support this product and have myself lost 47lbs. please feel free to check out the product and my website with pics www.bethebiggestloser.com I invite you to take the 90 day challenge and would love to hear from you!
    GO AWAY
  • xaviernelson
    xaviernelson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am also a type 2 diabetic and wound up seeing a nutritionist who taught me about the carb counts, but quite honestly after a while I have to admit I wasn't watching it closely anymore. MFP is really helping me with that again and aside from Calories (since that's required on the tracker), the second thing I watch is the carb count. Only thing I wish is that MFP would allow me to adjust my daily carb goal to the fact that I am diabetic (so my carb count is lower than a non-diabetic), but I feel that as long as I keep an eye on it and do my exercises and keep losing weight (only started here a couple of weeks ago), then it will all come out ok in the long run.
    Or maybe it would be helpful if I could track my diabetes/glucose here in MFP too, that way it would all be in one place.

Xavier