Help! Gained 7 lbs in 7 days :(

Options
SW=237
CW=209-216 (started this week at 209, today I was at 216)
GW=165

After a very busy summer that I somehow managed to maintain my weight during, I have finally been getting back into serious weight-loss mode, walking on the treadmill for an hour in the morning, Zumba in the evening, and weight lifting a couple times a week. I got a FitBit so I've been trying to get to 10,000 steps a day, even if that means taking a walk or jumping on the trampoline at 11pm before bed. This past week I was really going hard-core and, though I was fighting to stay awake past 8pm, I wasn't sleeping well, tossing and turning most of the night and waking up with headaches. I like to weigh myself every day, though I know weight fluctuates but this week I've been gaining a pound a day and I am so scared it will continue! What am I doing wrong?! I try to eat back some of my exercise calories (I'm supposed to eat 1750 not including exercise), but there is no way I can eat them all. I know I'm not dehydrated, because I drink a ton of water (at least 100oz a day). I have been over my sodium the past couple days (I made chicken pot pie), but all macros are good. Today I feel absolutely awful, I feel hungover--headache, nausea, fatigue. Also, this may be TMI but my "time of the month" is coming in 3 days. Maybe that has something to do with it? I normally don't have any PMS symptoms.

What do you think? Am I just not eating enough? I have worked way too hard for all my weight to come back now, and I still have a long way to go.

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Too much too fast. Your muscles need time to recover and they hold extra water while doing so and as you said you had more sodium. Give your muscles some recovery time.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week. Otherwise, I think doing it on a daily basis can be pretty distressing because our weight can fluctuate a few pounds in just a day.

I also will delay my weigh in a few days when it's "that time" of the month, I'm always heavier then. You might not have the mood issues with PMS but you still may retain water. Plus the extra sodium could be a water retention double whammy.

Your body is trying to adjust but don't panic! Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint!
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    -Pms
    -water retention in sore, overused muscles
    -water retention from too much salt in food
    -sounds like you could also be coming down with something, which could temporarily affect the scale.

Give it a few days and things should start going in the right direction again :)
  • circemuse
    circemuse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I once gained 5lbs overnight after eating take-out chinese food (lots of salt & MSG). It took 2-3 days, but it went away. Don't freak out. Just be gentle with yourself, and give your body some time to adjust.