What to DO or NOT DO the day before weighing in?

Options
So I've heard different things about the day before you "check in". Like not exercising to keep from retaining water, to only do liquid diet that day etc.

What have you heard, and do you know if its true or not?

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've always acted the same, not make any difference before during or after a weigh-in day, every Friday morning.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    doesn't matter what you do or don't do, the thing is just do the same thing every time.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    just eat and exercise as you normally would. you're doing this for yourself and you don't need to do something extra to make yourself lose a little more weight a certain week. i know its tempting because you want to see a bigger loss on the scale, but slow and steady is worth it :]
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I still workout and haven't had any trouble (I've had quite a few 2.6 pounds lost during weigh in). One of the things I learned though is to try to eat little sodium because you will retain water. I limit sodium anyway but I try to especially watch it the day before weigh in. I also try to drink an extra 20 ounces of water that night. Hope this helps!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I've always acted the same, not make any difference before during or after a weigh-in day, every Friday morning.

Me, too....this is my life, not a diet. I'm just trying to pay attention, now.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything different then i normally would. I don't think it's smart to do a "liquid diet" the day before. Don't you want the scale to reflect the truth? Don't try to trick your body into being less, or weighing less. It won't help in the long run. I always weigh in the morning first thing after a morning pee. The night before, I do everything like I normally would, i eat the same, exercise the same etc. I don't want to "throw the weigh in" in any way or make it reflect something that is untrue.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    doesn't matter what you do or don't do, the thing is just do the same thing every time.

Agree. I make sure to weigh myself on the same day of the week just after getting out of bed and going to the bathroom.
  • jimjamjandles
    Options

Agree. I make sure to weigh myself on the same day of the week just after getting out of bed and going to the bathroom.

Do exactly the same. :)
  • hopeC12
    hopeC12 Posts: 38
    Options
    I actually weigh myself every day (always at the same time - after showering, no clothes) and record it. I then only record a new weight in MFP once I have consistently been at or under that weight for at least 2 days in a row. Weighing daily may be discouraging to some, but I think it is useful to track your normal weight fluctuations over time. If you graph this after a month or so, you will see a pattern, and hopefully a downward slope :)
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Good answers here. All I can say is the time I had the most pounds lost was the day after I finally was able to drink more than 8 glasses of water.
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I exercise a minimum of an hour every day of the week. I'm not about to avoid exercising the day before weigh-in. Just be consistent. Pick a weigh-in day and weigh that day each week. I always weigh in the morning after I go to the bathroom. I'm usually good to watch sodium intake but I'm especially good two days before weigh-in to avoid water retention. But if I happen to retain water on weigh-in day, I just keep chugging along because my weight loss will catch up with me the following week. Good luck!
  • dylanandtresnana
    dylanandtresnana Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Really good post with really good answers. I would have liked to learn how to make my weigh in better and I did. just do what i normally do. thanks guys..
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    This idea was sparked when I was exercising my butt off and not losing, I had a few friends and family start giving me advice all about the day before weigh in (basically how to make sure you see a number)....and my head is already so full of information, I'm just getting turned around, so I thought I'd ask and see what the majority of people actually trying to lose weight said. (vs the already skinny, or people not trying, but always ready to give advice peeps)
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do nothing differently.
    Google the article "Why The Scale Lies" for some good insight.
    The number on the scale is just one indicator of weight loss.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I weight myself after I workout every morning. To me, losing most of my water weight is more accurate since I want to measure fat/muscle and not water weight. I do intense cardio every morning. Always weigh yourself in the morning after going to the bathroom. Before you drink and eat because when you do that, it sits in your stomach causing the scale to raise which is why experts recommend you weigh yourself only once a day to keep yourself from getting discouraged.