Question for Ladies who Lift

Options
Hi,

I'm currently in week 4 of JMBR, thinking of ChaLEAN Extreme (or NROLFW) next. My question is this: I have weights 2-8 lbs and already know I need heavier, just for JMBR. Is it worth it to buy a weight set that goes to 50 lbs (http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-SelectTech-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Pair/dp/B001ARYU58/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top)? Is it reasonable to assume I will need handweights that go that high? I'd rather invest know if that is the case, rather than do it 2x.

Thanks for any info!

Replies

• hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what all of your acronyms mean, but if you are serious about weight training you'd be better off investing in a barbell set, rack and bench, or joining a gym.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I agree! You can find decent prices on Craigslist, Ebay etc. I did join a local gym because I wanted help with form too.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes as above, if you're serious about strength gains, you'll need a wider range of weights for dumbbells and a barbell set would also be very beneficial. You can find all sorts of cheap weight plates for both dumbbell and barbell on many sites, second hand or new. My weight plate for both barbell and dumbbell probably range in 60kg+ currently.
  • hankela
    hankela Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do belong to a gym - but unfortunately, I have to squeeze a number of workouts in at home before the kid gets up for school - so I want to be prepared for home use.

I guess my real question is for those who use dumb bells at home - how high do you need as you transform your body? Over 25? the sets I've seen go up to 25 or up to 50

thanks
  • michelle34152
    michelle34152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Look into Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or pick up New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I prefer Strong Lifts - simple exercises that kick your butt in a short amount of time.
  • hankela
    hankela Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    And sorry for the acronyms. JMBR = Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, NROLFW = New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • JBearsMom21
    JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Chalean Extreme and have the bowflex selectechs. Seriously BEST investment I have made! I plan on doing body beast after Chalean and lot's of the other ladies in the BodyBeast 4 Women group on Facebook use the selectechs too. These programs are made to do at home though (BB does has a gym option too) I think for NROLFW you would be better off using a gym.

ETA: I do also have an ez barbell at home too :)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    You will need more than 50 (or 100 pounds) for deadlifts and squats quickly enough.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You will need more than 50 (or 100 pounds) for deadlifts and squats quickly enough.

Buy weight plates as you go. Anywhere from 20 to 50kg could be plenty for you to use strictly on dumbbells if you aren't trying to constantly lift heavier like a bodybuilder but 50kg+ at least for barbell exercises.