Can't Get it Together!

Options
Hi all! This whole year I have not been able to 'get it together'. I have spent short amounts ot fime eating healthy and exercising regularly but it doesn't last. Miraculously, I still weight the same that I did at the first of the year - I have fluctuated some though. I own a rapidly growing jewelry manufacturing company (which I love and am very thankful for) and can't seem to make any time for myself. I work pretty much six days/week, then church & family on Sundays. All day every day I'm faced with one problem after another & it's a big weight on my shoulders. I am a huge emotional eater & I really wish I could stop!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, and you don't have to eat "healthy" to lose weight. Calories in/calories out.
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I too am in the same boat.. basically have slacked off since Dec 1 of 2012. My dedication and commitment comes in spurts. I have been losing and gaining the same 6 lbs all year. I have asked for advice and luckily have some outstanding friends who always listen and support me. Many of them have given me great advice. I have come to the conclusion that I am the one that needs to do it for me. If it is important then I will find a way. If I had to have dialysis everyday I would make time for that right?? :wink: Good luck and hopefully we will both get our acts together!
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    The best thing that you can do is shake the idea that you're "dieting." Make small changes - veggies instead of fries, stairs instead of the elevator, water instead of pop. After a while, those things will become habit. Logging your food will also become habit. I don't even think about it when I log anymore. I got used to it after only a month or so. You don't have to eat healthy 24/7 - some people do, but I find that I burn out if I do. I still have fries, and I still have burgers. And you bet I still have pumpkin cheesecake at Olive Garden. But I log everything. If I go over, I work out. It becomes quite simple when you get used to it!

Exercise because you feel good about it, not because you feel obligated. If you don't want to work out, eat a little less. I love working out, because I feel so good afterwards, and it allows me to eat a bit of ice cream later in the evening! :)

Long story short, make small tweaks until you've found something you can live with. You're gonna be doing this for a while, so if you can't keep it up, try making changes.

Good luck!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Your diet, which should not be a "diet" is way more important than exercise. Make small changes you can hold. Like the tortoise and the hare, they add up over time
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Karanmwk: I was kinda in the same boat u were. Same weight for a yeah or so and not losing. I had enough on Feb. of this year. I bit the bullet and changed my life. I said to myself I spend $30 on a supper and yet when it came to life changes I was being a tight *kitten*. I bought a full year gym membership and became committed to using it (as mentioned I'm a tight *kitten*-no way I was going to pay for something and not use it lol) best decision I have ever made. I also find a HUGE help is take an hour once a week in the evening to cut up fruit and veggies, that way they are easy to grab when u get the munchies, I also find the drink a glass of water before meals or when u get an urge to snack I did feel it went away. I also have made it a habit that everytime I go into my bathroom at home I have a glass of water, it sounds dumb but it helps with the hunger, really it does. I also steam slot of veggies every 4 days and then they are ready in 20 seconds in the microwave. You can do it if u put your mind to it, TRUST ME. After the first 5 lbs it is such a wonderful feeling of accomplishment that u will want to keep going. I also suggest getting up early and exercising before anyone else in the house does then u will not be distracted or hit the gym before they get up. You must take care of yourself nobody else will and you will be a lot happier and your emotional eating I'm sure will subside. Good luck!!!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your business! You have time to exercise, everyone does. It's a matter of prioritization and your health should be a very high priority. As someone else mentioned, exercise isn't absolutely necessary for weight loss, but it is necessary for long term health and, by the way, it makes losing weight a lot easier. Good luck!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight, and you don't have to eat "healthy" to lose weight. Calories in/calories out.
    This! And once you realize the simple truth of that, everything becomes SO much easier. It has literally saved me from falling off the wagon this time after many attempts to lose weight. This post here illustrates the point beautifully: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • char316
    char316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Karanmwk, I just want you to know I have been going through much the same thing. I am in graduate school, working full time, trying to help make sure my 91 year old mother has the care she needs. I thank God she is in a good assisted living facility, but she has soooo many health problems it is scary. I have had a terrible time with stress eating. I know all the answers, but have not able to put them into practice. I joined a gym and have not been there in about a year. So I have gone backwards over the last year. All I can say is don't give up and all the advice on the posts before this one are good. So I will read them and try to recognize that change can be difficult. I hope that you can do the same.
  • diorama77
    diorama77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find food also is a solice to stress. Lately I've been trying meditation, even just a little bit of time, seems to bring me back to focusing on my health. Also having a goal of some sort helps. Hoping you can 'get it together', it is so worth the commitment to feel better - then the sky's the limit!
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The dialysis comment really puts things into perspective...thanks! Sounds like we're in the same boat! In the past, something has to 'click' for me mentally in order to improve this part of my life....just got to get back there again. Thanks!!!
  • karanmwk
    karanmwk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments - they are SOOOO true and they mean a lot to me! I think the key is making my mind up and making that commitment. I've just got to dig deep and get back to that place. I've done this before and lost 20-25 pounds - my weight is still down from that. It's a lifestyle change - I've just got to make my mind up and do it!!