Ugh - help guys

Options
Hey everybody. Don't think I've ever posted on here before, but I don't really know anyone who will understand. I ran a 10-mile race on Sunday and I was so proud...until I got the photos. I don't even want to show them to anyone, I feel like I look so horrible. I was very thin for most of my life, and my friends are all very thin and fit. I gained about 50 pounds during a really terrible breakup.

I'm trying to stay positive, but I just feel like I look so horrible!

Replies

• csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You ran a 10 mile race? Not too many people can do that! Congratulations!
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    congratulations on running a 10 mile race! I can't do that! lol

Remember, you did not go to the race to look all pretty and nice..... think about how well you are doing... :)
  • SassyDingo
    SassyDingo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No one looks good in those photos - thighs jiggle as you run, boobs bounce, your face is red and sweaty, you have lovely underarm sweat stains.

Take a photo 10 minutes after you finish your race at the finish line. You'll look heaps better.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    photos please?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the photo. Focus on your amazing achievement. I know skinny people who can look a bit tubby in photo's. Usually photo's are not flattering at the best of times. Don't worry about it :flowerforyou:
  • karolinacorrea
    karolinacorrea Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't stop being proud of yourself. If you keep up with that impressive fitness level of yours, it is only a matter of time for you to look the way you are used to. This is just temporary, you are in control and you will be there before you know it. :)
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    OMG - you totally need to be proud of your accomplishments AND the photos!!!! You kicked butt - I don't think anyone worth a damn would say otherwise!!!! Congrats!!!!!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    You ran 10 miles?! I cant run for 10 minutes! My wife and a lot of our friends run, and the only time I get a decent photo of any of them is before the race, or half an hour after. No-one looks good in the race. Focus on your fantastic achievement, not something you can put in a drawer or hide on a hard drive!
  • olgitafajita
    olgitafajita Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's nice to have so many folks here who understand!
  • mrossi1730
    Options
    Celebrate the accomplishment and keep focused on your goals - Always look to where you want to go - and be proud.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    bad race pics are nothing new...there's a tumblr devoted to them

http://uglyracepics.tumblr.com/
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    1. Well if you've done it right, you're not supposed to look good at the end of a race.
    2. Congrats on making it for 10 miles and not dying. I would have after the first mile.
    3. What somebody else said, 10 miles is an amazing accomplishment. One that a lot of "fit" looking people I know couldn't even do.
  • stealthSLOTH
    stealthSLOTH Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    bad race pics are nothing new...there's a tumblr devoted to them

http://uglyracepics.tumblr.com/

^ lolz. i have to go make sure i'm not on there! :laugh: :noway:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    shut up-u rock.....
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Why are we so concerned with our outsides and what the world might see? We know what it took from your heart to do this race and it's all good!!!!!!!
  • olgitafajita
    olgitafajita Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: Thanks to everyone's encouragement I decided to enter another race, a half marathon this time. At first I felt ashamed about being the chunky slow girl at the back of the pack, but then the sentence "you aren't running the race to look pretty" came into my head and I decided to just go for it. Well, I did it, even at 200 lbs! So I just wanted to thank everyone here and add that the support and love here are special and really do make a difference.

And as for the photos from my new race: I've learned my lesson this time and won't even open the email.

Thanks guys!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    don't you DARE feel bad.. you went out and DID it, so many people say they cant and they don't.. you DID!! You should be proud of yourself.. keep those pics.... you will want them later. I started doing half marathons ( MUCH heavier than I am now) because I saw a lady cross a finish line... probably weighed 250 or more... she struggled and she fought every step....but she crossed it and there I was standing there watching.. she inspired me SOOOOO much....sometimes sweety its not about how you look.. its about who you may have inspired today... Be Proud!!!