Hey - Muscle Building

Options
Hey all, I've been on and off training for a couple of years, always been generally fit and into sports. I'm 21, in Portsmouth, UK. I'm getting back into some serious training now, I'm keen on heading into bodybuilding territory, physique style. I want to build muscle and get lean, I do a body part training split with a weight bench and weights at home and HIIT that I'm looking to mix up with some sprints, tyre flips and sledgehammer training. So anyone who is into bodybuilding, weight lifting or general strength training, feel free to add me or hit me up. Nothing like everybody spurring each other on!

J

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    That sounds cool! I'm trying to add some muscle myself as well as shed some of the fat I've put on over the years. I just use an adjustable bench and dumbbells in my basement right now and do cardio at a local community center gym until I can get some cardio equipment of my own.

Just make sure you're eating healthy, getting in a good amount of protein in your diet, and lift heavy (6-12 reps) and try to push yourself to do more reps or higher weight as you progress. Good luck!
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck with your goals too :)

I've got an adjustable weight bench with a rack for bench press, and it has leg extension and preacher curl set up too. I've also got a barbell set and probably weight plates of around 60kg+
  • cdahl383
    Options
    That's cool, sounds like a nice setup! I want to get a nice power rack sometime this winter for my basement so I can do squats, bench press, pullups, etc. Between that and the dumbbells and bench I have right now that would be good enough for my goals I think. I'd like to get a bike or treadmill for cardio as well at some point.
  • theredfro
    Options
    Sounds like a plan. Power racks are definitely the way to go. I currently do deadlifts and squats with my partner spotting me, and using the bench rack doubling up. I definitely prefer cycling as cardio to a treadmill or rowing machine which I've had. Less tedious and boring, which is what I find steady state cardio hence why I prefer HIIT.

I'm limited on the equipment I buy as I currently live in a top floor one bedroom apartment - the weight bench is half of my living room.
  • cdahl383
    Options
    That's cool, sounds like you're making the best of the space you have. I cleared out some space in our basement, but with two kids and my wife staying home with them I'm sort of on a budget when it comes to buying equipment, so I try to buy used off of Craigslist or Play It Again Sports.

If I had a spotter that'd be cool, but my wife has to watch the kids while I'm down there working out, so I need something that will work on my own. Power racks seem to be the safest option from what I can tell.

Treadmills are nice but they do get a little boring after a while. I have a low ceiling in my basement as well so a bike might be the best choice anyway. I've always liked lifting weights but have been bad with the cardio and diet over the years. I've really improved my diet though now and it is really helping with the results so far. Seems like lifting weights are important, but your diet is almost more important.
  • theredfro
    Options
    Nutrition is always more important. You could lift for a lifetime but if you had a rubbish diet, it wouldn't make much difference. Of course it's always the harder part too, I always say it's easy to workout but it's not easy to eat right!
  • cdahl383
    Options
    Yep, I agree 100%. I like lifting, but eating healthy is definitely hard to do all the time. I used to eat like crap through most of my 20's, but I still put on some muscle. Now with eating right and lifting I've seen better results in the past couple months than I have in a long time. I guess it really is true, you are what you eat.
  • Never2EZ
    Options
    Just because life wouldn't be complete without at least one Brit on my FL ;)
  • theredfro
    Options
    Haha. Way to go - my life is filled with Americans. Just struggling on the actual moving there part.
  • Never2EZ
    Options
    Well if you want, I can pack you in my luggage. We leave on Friday :D
  • theredfro
    Options
    Oooooh I'm so in there already.
  • Never2EZ
    Options
    Great! If it gets really quiet, I probably forgot my bag and left you on the conveyer belt. No worries though, after I take a nap I'll make sure I unzip ya so you can roam around