Is 1300cals enough if I'm doing T25 & P90X daily?

Hello,

I have been doing both T25 (Cardio programme in the AM) & P90X (heavy weight training in the PM) daily for about 6 days of the week for almost two months now. I recently decided to keep track of calories, I have found that I need around 1300 calories daily to achieve my goal - which is to lose more body fat and gain lean visible muscles.

Lets T25 burns an average of 200 calories and p90x burns an average of 500 calories .. (ps: I took the lowest ranges just so not to over- count). Does this means that I have to eat an additional 700cal my per day, resulting in a total of 2000 calories to maintain my net goal of 1300cal

I currently only eat 1300 and don't count how much i burn in workout, which would otherwise give me a net of 600 calories.
My Question is it safe to do so? Especially if I’m not that hungry or feel the need to consume more? Or am I under-eating? will I lose my muscle gains and not see any results? ...any help and input would be greatly appreciated!! : )))

ps: I am 22 years old, 5,9 (177cm) tall and I weight around 69 kg( 155 pounds). I also follow the intermittent fasting IF/warrior diet lifestyle – 4-6 hours window for eating all calories needed.

Thanks!

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Hello,

I have been doing both T25 (Cardio programme in the AM) & P90X (heavy weight training in the PM) daily for about 6 days of the week for almost two months now. I recently decided to keep track of calories, I have found that I need around 1300 calories daily to achieve my goal - which is to lose more body fat and gain lean visible muscles.

Lets T25 burns an average of 200 calories and p90x burns an average of 500 calories .. (ps: I took the lowest ranges just so not to over- count). Does this means that I have to eat an additional 700cal my per day, resulting in a total of 2000 calories to maintain my net goal of 1300cal

I currently only eat 1300 and don't count how much i burn in workout, which would otherwise give me a net of 600 calories.
    My Question is it safe to do so? Especially if I’m not that hungry or feel the need to consume more? Or am I under-eating? will I lose my muscle gains and not see any results? ...any help and input would be greatly appreciated!! : )))

ps: I am 22 years old, 5,9 (177cm) tall and I weight around 69 kg( 155 pounds). I also follow the intermittent fasting IF/warrior diet lifestyle – 4-6 hours window for eating all calories needed.

Thanks!

NO NO NO NO NO NO
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    is it safe? no, not for any length of time

does it matter if you dont feel hungry? yes, the body is good at compensating when you arent feeding it enough by stopping sending hunger signals.

are you undereating? if you weigh and measure all your food accurately, then yes, you are.

will you lose muscle gains? you arent gaining muscle on net 600 cals

my input would be to eat more!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Lets T25 burns an average of 200 calories and p90x burns an average of 500 calories ..

Let's not. A person your size would have to run 7 miles at an 8 mile/min pace to burn 700 calories, you are most likely over-estimating the calorie burn. Cut those numbers in half as a starting point.

The answer to your question is "it depends". If you aren't properly fuelled, you will be able to tell during training, and it won't be a subtle signal. :) So listen to your body, and make the appropriate adjustments.
  • Lets T25 burns an average of 200 calories and p90x burns an average of 500 calories ..

Let's not. A person your size would have to run 7 miles at an 8 mile/min pace to burn 700 calories, you are most likely over-estimating the calorie burn. Cut those numbers in half as a starting point.

The answer to your question is "it depends". If you aren't properly fuelled, you will be able to tell during training, and it won't be a subtle signal. :) So listen to your body, and make the appropriate adjustments.

haha I know the numbers look very high, I'm not sure how reliable they are. P90X claims each workout burns a min of 600 and plyo 800. Also T25 between 300-400. I took the lowest range possible. I also lift the heaviest weight i can for each body part - the amount that would lead me to reach failure by the 10-12th rep. ... thanks, I'll see how i can manage and if it would affect my energy levels..if so I'll increase my cals
  • Thanks! : )
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I would say that's definitely too low.

How about 1300 plus exercise cals? You're doing so much exercise, and you're body needs the fuel to support that. Even 1300 net is low IMO, but it's a lot better than 600 net.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    1) the best way to accurately track your calorie burn is to get a HRM; I use the Polar FT4 and so do many other people on this site. We like it a lot.

2) I would say to set your BASE calories at 1300, and eat back about half of your exercise calories. So we'll say your 200 for T25 and 500 for P90X are correct (and I usually do double that... espeically in beta... since you're a lot taller than me it sounds correct)... That's 700 calories burned. So for that day I would aim to eat 1650 calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Figure out your TDEE (google this)
    Eat 20% less than this
    Lose weight

Exercise is just a bonus.

Yes it is that easy. :flowerforyou:
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    You need to get a heart rate monitor so you can know how much calories you really are burning!
  • I do p90x daily and my Beachbody coach told me that I should be eating around 1800 calories a day and I am 5'5" weigh 180 and exercise 45-60 min a day 6 days a week! It does seem like a lot but it seems to be working! My only problem is I have a hard time finding enough food that sounds good to eat that many calories without eating a ton of carbs.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    1300 wouldn't even be enough calories for someone lying on the couch, scratching, and watching you do P90X and T25.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    1300 wouldn't even be enough calories for someone lying on the couch, scratching, and watching you do P90X and T25.

This. Unless your goals are muscle atrophy and chronic fatigue, 1300 is nowhere near enough. Even if you are overestimating your calorie burn, it's not enough. I second the idea of figuring out your tdee and eating tdee -15 or 20%. If you don't wanna do that, why don't you log the exercise under aerobics and eat back all of your exercise calories.