Weight lifting question

Options
I have added strength training to my exercise routine and i have a few questions:

1. If I do 3 sets of 12 reps how long should a wait between sets?

2. If I do arms and legs one day then abs and back the next day, then either cardio or a rest day on the third day is that ok am I giving the muscles enough rest or too much?

3. If I am struggling to finish all three sets, but able to finish am I lifting the right amount for me?

4. Am I correct in thinking when I am not struggling at a particular weight to finish all my reps it is time to up the weight for that muscle group?

I appriciate your insight. Thank you

Just a note I am not ready for dead lifts and such, right now I am comfortable with working individual muscle groups so please keep your responses based on that for now. I know there are benefits to full body workouts but I am not there at this time.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. It depends. Anywhere from. 30 secs to 3-5 mins depending on the exercise and the muscle group. Probably 1-2 mins is best, but like I said, it depends.

2. Yes. Well, probably, anyways. It depends.

3. ¿Que? How am I to use that information to judge time?

4. Probably. But it depends.
  • RUGGEDGerit
    Options
    If you do a circuit type training you don't have to wait at all between sets, because you will be working a different muscle group, and the muscle group you just worked, will be "resting" I alternate strength training days and cardio days. Weight lifting actually burns more fat then cardio, but I like having the level of fitness that comes from endurance cardio. In your list of questions, there is not a day scheduled for chest. back and chest are a good workout combination. Pull-ups and then push -ups. Dead lifts and the bench press. Questions number 3 and 4 are correct. Good luck.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    If you do a circuit type training you don't have to wait at all between sets, because you will be working a different muscle group, and the muscle group you just worked, will be "resting" I alternate strength training days and cardio days. Weight lifting actually burns more fat then cardio, but I like having the level of fitness that comes from endurance cardio. In your list of questions, there is not a day scheduled for chest. back and chest are a good workout combination. Pull-ups and then push -ups. Dead lifts and the bench press. Questions number 3 and 4 are correct. Good luck.

Sorry I do my chest with back and abs.

Thank you for mentioning it though, in case other people get ideas from this post.

I like to do an hour of cardio so I like to do it separate also :)
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    90 seconds - 2 minutes between sets is about right.

The system I follow says if you can complete 12 good reps on set #1, you need to increase your weight.

The system I follow says if you do a good, quality, high intensity set, there's not a lot of benefit to be had from subsequent sets. You need to get your mind right when you do that one set though.

If you are not "struggling" to get that last rep, you are not weight training. And by "struggling" I mean reaching temporary muscle failure.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    Thank you for your responses, just want to make sure I am doing it the correct way. I want to make sure I am progressing in my weight lifting.

I don't want to get to my goal weight and still be overly jiggly :)
  • GBRhusker
    GBRhusker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    90 seconds - 2 minutes between sets is about right.

The system I follow says if you can complete 12 good reps on set #1, you need to increase your weight.

The system I follow says if you do a good, quality, high intensity set, there's not a lot of benefit to be had from subsequent sets. You need to get your mind right when you do that one set though.

If you are not "struggling" to get that last rep, you are not weight training. And by "struggling" I mean reaching temporary muscle failure.

John has it right. Although I'm not an accomplished weight trainer, my son is, and there is a theme that runs true in this area. Lift to stimulate, not alienate, meaning push the envelope but don't break it. This 3rd set runs to failure in the programs I have seen....that means generally you cannot do more reps---usually 2-4 less---than the previous set before that muscle set fails. Like I said, I know less than squat than others, follow the advice of trained atheletes, and know the biggest mistake is to judge your capability to be commensurate with your ability. Start slowly! The easiest apparent set will bring you to your knees for days afterward.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    rest 60 secs in between sets

youd want to struggle on last set if not ,up weight, and your current routine sounds fine
  • soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And by "struggling" I mean reaching temporary muscle failure.

Sorry, that made me chuckle. You don't need near muscle failure to get benefit. There's tone and strength benefit without near / temp failure. And depending on the person's age, you could have a serious injury by thinking "just this one....more.....SNAP!" uh oh...

Struggle a bit on the last few reps? Sure....muscle failure? Nah....
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You need to hit all three heads of the deltoids, traps, obliques and serratus too, don't be neglecting any muscles! Also make sure you do some hammer or reverse curls at least once a week so you work your brachialis!

There is no set rest amount, I usually do around 60 seconds. I'll aim for around 12 reps the first set, then try leave enough rest to hit at least 10-11 reps then for the 3rd set enough rest to hit 8-10 reps.

If you are constantly hitting 3 sets of 12 and not struggling up the weight slightly, it's called progressive overload and your muscles won't grow as well without it.

If you are losing weight (cutting) then you won't be gaining muscle so there is no need for progressive overload, the only thing that will happen is your form will get better over time so you may need to up it for that reason but that's about it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    1. It depends. Anywhere from. 30 secs to 3-5 mins depending on the exercise and the muscle group. Probably 1-2 mins is best, but like I said, it depends.

2. Yes. Well, probably, anyways. It depends.

3. ¿Que? How am I to use that information to judge time?

4. Probably. But it depends.

This. It depends on what exactly you're trying to achieve.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

What about a protocol that uses sub-maximal weights?

I'm thinking programmes structured around lifting sub-maximally through (or for part of) the week (i.e. Dan John's Even Easier Strength or Matt Perryman's Squat Everyday or any of the training ideas from Dan john and Pavel's Easy Strength). Or any programme that uses Medium and light Days. I'm thinking a few of Bill Starr's programmes (and programmes derived from them) or something like All Pro, where you intentionally lift sub-maximally for at least two weeks of the five weeks cycle (that's without mentioning that it includes medium and light days as well).

I would argue that all these programmes are weight training. You don't have to "leave it all on the floor" to derive benefit from your training, in fact, by going too far, too fast, you'll possibly make yourself weaker. Intelligent programmes have light days, or wave, or cycle to lighter, sub-maximal, non-failure stuff to stop this happening.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I have added strength training to my exercise routine and i have a few questions:

2. If I do arms and legs one day then abs and back the next day, then either cardio or a rest day on the third day is that ok am I giving the muscles enough rest or too much?

3. If I am struggling to finish all three sets, but able to finish am I lifting the right amount for me?

4. Am I correct in thinking when I am not struggling at a particular weight to finish all my reps it is time to up the weight for that muscle group?

Just a note I am not ready for dead lifts and such, right now I am comfortable with working individual muscle groups so please keep your responses based on that for now. I know there are benefits to full body workouts but I am not there at this time.

1) If you're going for sets of 12, you'll probably want to keep the breaks to 90secs-2mins.

2) If you split your workout into bodyparts (I'm not going to give you my honest opinion on this, as you've asked people to refrain), then you should be fine with what you're doing

3) If you're finishing the sets and they are "difficult", but you are not failing (as in your form is breaking down, you have to break form to squeek out the rep, etc) then this is fine. Leading to:

4) It'll start to feel easier as you make the nuero-muscular link stronger, then you can up the weights. Always with an eye on form, though. If you're cheating to get out the reps, you've gone too heavy, scale it back. Some people do well with this kind of intuitive approach to loading. Some people are better with a definite percentage-based progression. It will all depend on how well you judge a) your form at a given weight and b) how well you are attuned to other factors (sleep, nutrition, stress, etc) and how they can affect a particular session.

Finally, I would like to humbly submit you can work a full-body routine without heavy deads. Just back squats alone will work the posterior chain and you could chuck in some light good mornings, straight leg DL, Romanian DL, barbell glute bridges, etc to round things out.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options

1) If you're going for sets of 12, you'll probably want to keep the breaks to 90secs-2mins.

2) If you split your workout into bodyparts (I'm not going to give you my honest opinion on this, as you've asked people to refrain), then you should be fine with what you're doing

3) If you're finishing the sets and they are "difficult", but you are not failing (as in your form is breaking down, you have to break form to squeek out the rep, etc) then this is fine. Leading to:

4) It'll start to feel easier as you make the nuero-muscular link stronger, then you can up the weights. Always with an eye on form, though. If you're cheating to get out the reps, you've gone too heavy, scale it back. Some people do well with this kind of intuitive approach to loading. Some people are better with a definite percentage-based progression. It will all depend on how well you judge a) your form at a given weight and b) how well you are attuned to other factors (sleep, nutrition, stress, etc) and how they can affect a particular session.

Finally, I would like to humbly submit you can work a full-body routine without heavy deads. Just back squats alone will work the posterior chain and you could chuck in some light good mornings, straight leg DL, Romanian DL, barbell glute bridges, etc to round things out.

Thank you this is the type of advice I was looking for. I appriciate everyone's responses they are very helpful and it is nice to see that most of you generally agree. I understand that full body has many benefits but like I said I am just not ready to tackle that yet but I want to start something hence working individual groups.

I find my arms are much weaker than my legs, not shocking being that they, my legs, we're caring around 88 more pounds last year. I also have some weakness in my arms from issues with my MS so I need to progress carefully. I am at this point using the weight machines which I know aren't necessarily as good as free weights but again they will get me started.

I set up a session with the trainer which was not overly helpful, he was a nice kid but I found out halfway into the session he had just started that week. I am sure he will grow as a trainer but other than showing me how to adjust the machines and a little form wasn't overly helpful. Also being as I currently go to Planet Fitness, which I know does not push the weights, I think at some point I will look into another gym near me for more advice on lifting as I get more comfortable with it.

As people who lift would it be totally inappropriate to ask some one at the gym, another customer, to look at my form? There are certain people that are there on a regular basis who seem to know what they are doing in the weights area. If I talk to them when they are at a resting point? Just curious how you would feel about that, thank you so much for,taking the time here. :flowerforyou:
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Thank you this is the type of advice I was looking for. I appriciate everyone's responses they are very helpful and it is nice to see that most of you generally agree. I understand that full body has many benefits but like I said I am just not ready to tackle that yet but I want to start something hence working individual groups.

I find my arms are much weaker than my legs, not shocking being that they, my legs, we're caring around 88 more pounds last year. I also have some weakness in my arms from issues with my MS so I need to progress carefully. I am at this point using the weight machines which I know aren't necessarily as good as free weights but again they will get me started.

I set up a session with the trainer which was not overly helpful, he was a nice kid but I found out halfway into the session he had just started that week. I am sure he will grow as a trainer but other than showing me how to adjust the machines and a little form wasn't overly helpful. Also being as I currently go to Planet Fitness, which I know does not push the weights, I think at some point I will look into another gym near me for more advice on lifting as I get more comfortable with it.

As people who lift would it be totally inappropriate to ask some one at the gym, another customer, to look at my form? There are certain people that are there on a regular basis who seem to know what they are doing in the weights area. If I talk to them when they are at a resting point? Just curious how you would feel about that, thank you so much for,taking the time here. :flowerforyou:

It really depends on the people that go to your gym, but I have asked other, more experienced lifters to check my form several times and they are always very nice. Just make sure that a. It is someone who seems to have good form and knowledge (don't assume just because they're slinging heavy weights that they know what they are doing) and b. that you don't interrupt them in the middle of a set to ask. If they say no, don't take it personally, just smile and say thanks anyway.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

I can tell you that I'd definitely have a novice lifter ask me for form advice than force me to suffer through watching them do weight training with terrible form. Cause that's painful.

TBH, I have to bite my tongue a lot to keep myself from offering unsolicited commentary.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options

What about a protocol that uses sub-maximal weights?

I'm thinking programmes structured around lifting sub-maximally through (or for part of) the week (i.e. Dan John's Even Easier Strength or Matt Perryman's Squat Everyday or any of the training ideas from Dan john and Pavel's Easy Strength). Or any programme that uses Medium and light Days. I'm thinking a few of Bill Starr's programmes (and programmes derived from them) or something like All Pro, where you intentionally lift sub-maximally for at least two weeks of the five weeks cycle (that's without mentioning that it includes medium and light days as well).

I would argue that all these programmes are weight training. You don't have to "leave it all on the floor" to derive benefit from your training, in fact, by going too far, too fast, you'll possibly make yourself weaker. Intelligent programmes have light days, or wave, or cycle to lighter, sub-maximal, non-failure stuff to stop this happening.

I've got no problem with what your are saying, up to a point. You can lift lighter and more frequently. I prefer to lift harder, and have more recovery days. However, if you aren't sufficiently overloading the muscle you are wasting your time, because you won't be triggering an adaptive response. That's all I was trying to say.
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me i have a guideline i follow when timing sets. If i am trying to tone up and shed some fat i keep the weights lower and up the reps and lower the time between sets (20-30 seconds) to keep the heart pumping and get a good sweat going.
    If i am trying to gain mass and power i go as heavy as i can for like 4-6 reps and then take as much time as i need to feel fully powered up again (90-120 sec maybe more)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there but if you are shooting for strength training its usually more efficient to lower this reps and up those weights and add an extra set in there.
  • CkepiJinx
    Options
    Just going to throw this out there but if you are shooting for strength training its usually more efficient to lower this reps and up those weights and add an extra set in there.

So maybe do five or six reps at a higher weight and do four sets?

I really do appreciate all your responses they are very helpful!
  • soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Tone - lighter weights, more reps.
    Strength - heavier weights, less reps.