Intervals--what works for you?

Options
Google 'interval training' and you'll find so much variation in times,frequency,etc that it's impossible to decide on which routine to do. Recommendations can vary from a 3-minute all-out effort with 1 minute recovery to 8 seconds sprint/12 seconds recovery,with little evidence to back up the suggested intervals.

I would like to know what you have found to be most effective for your exercise routines.

I would be especially grateful to hear from someone just like me--an endomorphic mesomorph with bad knees and 20 pounds to shed,all of it between sternum and waist.

Thanks.

Replies

• MardellD
    Options
    I am in the process of toning up and shedding the last few pounds that I need to. What is working for me with interval/circuit training is one minute per exercise, all out hard core, do three different and then a "power burn" of all three combined in the following minute. I found this through Jackie Warner and it has made a huge difference.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Personally I like 60 seconds at 8 mph then 3 minutes at 4 mph. I do that for about 30 minutes.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    To tell you the truth, in my experience it does not matter what the intervals really are as long as you are working in intervals at very high intensity and recovery. I have done lots of the prescribed intervals, and they have all worked.

I personally like to workout at home, and I like to do workouts on DVD because when I do my own thing, I tend to just stop before I should. So, with that said, I have had amazing success with the intervals in Insanity as well as the interval workouts in P90X Plus, Turbo Jam, and ChaLEAN Extreme. I've done interval training at a gym before and had success with that as well...but all these things that I have done have totally different kinds of intervals. I've done HIIT which is also different from all of the above...but I love them all and they all work.

I don't have bad knees, but I am an endomorph with mesomorph tendencies when my metabolism is raised (pure endomorph when I am a lazy bum for a month when it comes to working out). :flowerforyou:
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm an endomorph with bad knees too so I look forward to reading more replies, need as many ideas as possible!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Insanity
  • NoahVail
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

BR1986FB: I have heard that the Insanity videos have a lot of jumping around--not compatible with cartilage loss and meniscus injuries in my knees. Ditto the treadmill speeds from Bi..Je..

Lyad...: In what way is HIIT different from the rest? Is it just a matter of intensity/duration?

I suspect that there is probably no right answer to the question of what the ideal ratio is of exercise to recovery,and that it probably varies from one perrson to the next. I also think that like any other form of exercise it is a good idea to mix things up and/or change routines every now and then.

30#'s---Best of luck to you! I have taken off almost 30# since last Spring--if I can do it,anyone can!
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I do interval training three days a week with my trainer. I wear a heart monitor and get my heart rate up to max level ( about 188) then wait for it to drop to about 140 ( the point at which i feel ready to start again) and then just start again. Maybe investing a heart monitor would help you determine which points are good for you.

Good luck xxx
  • NoahVail
    Options
    BB-
    I have a HRM. How long does your trainer have you stay in the 180's? X amount of time,or just go like mad til you hit 188 then recover? Also,188 is what % or your maximum HR?
    Thnkas
    NV
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    I stay at my highest for about 30 seonds to a minute. Highest I ever got to was 210. Your maximum heart rate is calculated by taking your age and minusing it from 220. I'm 32 so my MHR is 188. Does that make sense? xxx
  • NoahVail
    Options
    BB-
    Thanks for clarifying. My (theoretical) max HR is in the 170's,but I limit myself to 160. 150's is where I usually max out with the intervals I currently do. I think if I ever hit 170 my recovery would consist of falling to the floor and gasping for air for 5 minutes. Maybe after a few more months of cardio I'll risk it a little more.
    NV