What to eat in a short time after workout?

Options
Hey guys :wink: ,

I have a little problem which I can't seem to be able to solve on my own. I have aikido in school on wednesdays and it is pretty hard for me so I am always very tired afterwards. The probem is I have school before and after that, which means I am able to squeeze lunch before aikido, but I have problem with eating afterwards. I have about 40 minutes to get back to school for my class, and the tram commuting alone is about 30 minutes.
I bought myself a juice last time and drank it on the tram but it doesn't seem right.
Do you have similar experience or can you just give me the advice or solution I can't see?

Thank you, have a nice day and take care :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dbrace
    dbrace Posts: 12
    Options
    Find a low cholesterol (15mg per scoop) whey protein and mix that with a serving (1 cup) of skim milk. The mixture of protein and carbohydrates will keep your blood sugar from spiking (as with juice) which will keep you satisfied until you can have a full meal.
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    Could you pre-prepare a salad with some chicken or fish at home and eat that? xxx
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    You could try a protein bar, or low fat chocolate milk.
  • InsanlyIrene
    Options
    Something that is high in protein would be best, so like others have said, a protein shake that you can make before hand and take with you or a protein bar, you can buy those at most supermarkets or drug stores :)
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is the best after workout drink. It provieds you with some sugar and protien. Plus it is easy to drink while on the move.
  • atotal180
    Options
    I typically use chocolate milk or a scoop of whey protein with water and a gatorade to replace my lost sugar during the workout. Since you aren't trying to gain muscle mass like me, I would skip out on the gatorade. The chocolate milk is definitely your best bet.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I do martial arts too and I usually drink a recovery drink right after training.Then eat some real food when I get home.
    Any recovery drink will do wonderfully as long as it has a decent amount of carbohydrates and protein. Mine is a powder that I buy from as it is but many people like to mix it by themselves. My stuff has 240 Kcal, 38g of carbs, and 21g of protein per serving. A recovery drinks is good right after training because it's easy to digest and they are designed to quickly replenish your glycogen stores. If I have a long and hard training session, I usually drink some halfway too for this reason.

I'd prefer a recovery drink over milk because the powder doesn't go bad in your bag and it's easy to just add water when you need it.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is the best after workout drink. It provieds you with some sugar and protien. Plus it is easy to drink while on the move.

I agree with the chocolate milk. I keep it in a smaller cooler in my backpack and can have it in the car. It has the right combo of protein, fats and carbs for best recovery. Sometimes I will have it with a few crackers if I am hungry.
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    Banana's :)
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for replies! I will see what I can do today :)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well..?
    What was your solution and how is it working for you? :smile: