Eating fish

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
My bf and I do nit eat seafood at all. We know how good it is to eat. What are some good types of fish that do not taste fishy?

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, fish tastes "fishy" when it is old or poorly cooked. Fresh fish, or fish that was frozen and stored well right after being caught, shouldn't taste fishy.

Tilapia is pretty benign and doesn't have too much of any sort of flavor. It kind of takes on whatever sauce or seasoning you put on it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I personally like blackened mahi mahi.
    Any type if fish, if soaked overnight in milk with lemon or buttermilk prior to cooking will not taste fishy.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    one issue with fish is that the best fish for you (as far as offering nutrition that's hard to get elsewhere) is always going to be a little strong and oily.

As far as what a common mild fish such as tilapia other healthwise, well, you can find a lean protein source in a lot of foods.
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do not like the fishy taste either. I do like

Tilapia
    Mahi Mahi
    Orange Roughy
    Halibut
    Swaii

We have gone to eating fish about twice a week we never used to eat much at all, except Tuna.

I coat it with mayo (keeps it moist, doesn't taste like mayo after cooked) then dust with parmesean cheese, and a little lemon pepper.
    YUM
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm Pescatarian so Im a vegetarian who eats fish. Fish should not taste fishy if it does its gone bad. If it has a very strong odor and is really slimy throw it away. Also to get the best benefits from it you need to find "wild caught" not "farm raised". Otherwise you negate the benefits of eating fish.
    I personally like salmon the most. My husband HATES salmon but to each his own. Orange Roughy is good. Talapia, Cod, Tuna steaks are all good. My husband is from AUS and he loves Baramundi. Do not buy swordfish too high in mercury.

Hope this helps and good luck :)
    I just recently read this article:

http://nutrition.about.com/od/healthyfood1/a/goodfishbadfish.htm
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of tilapia, and I've heard good things about swai. As far as not being fishy, cheaper frozen fish tends to be the fishiest. We got some slightly more expensive tilapia fillets this last time around, and they are amazing and not really fishy at all.

Ditto on the sauces. It'll take on whatever you put on it. We've made fish tacos, and my fiance loves bbq sauce on his fish (which I think is weird...but it does cover up the fish taste, lol)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Do you like fish or are you forcing yourself to eat it? I hate the taste of most seafood - can't handle the smell or texture. I would rather take odorless fish oil or omega 3s. Just wanted to play devil's advocate because I wouldn't force myself to eat anything.
  • _noob_
    Options
    fwiw, my favorite fishes to eat are 12"-16" Largemouth bass, Crappie, white bass/hybrid striper/striper, filet sized bluegill (shout out to my home lake of Conroe on this one), flathead catfish (OMG is that mild and sweet fish), spotted sea trout, and channel catfish out of a flowing river (dunno why on the flowing water, but they're just not the same out of a lake). Also walleye (eaten it once, but we're fresh out of walleye here in SE Texas).
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Also to get the best benefits from it you need to find "wild caught" not "farm raised". Otherwise you negate the benefits of eating fish.

Bwahaha

tumblr_inline_mq02q8GWJo1qz4rgp.gif
  • _noob_
    Options
    Also to get the best benefits from it you need to find "wild caught" not "farm raised". Otherwise you negate the benefits of eating fish.

Bwahaha

tumblr_inline_mq02q8GWJo1qz4rgp.gif

yeah, who cares in a fish that has as little fat as tilapia or is fed a quality feed (channel catfish). You're still getting a lean protein source.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fish ... allergic ... but I probably wouldn't eat it if I wasn't. The allergy is an adult on set allergy, and I rarely ate fish before. The main reason you are advised to eat fish is for the omega 3 fatty acids. You can get that from flax seed, from eggs, and several other sources. Those are the two that I use the most frequently. If you don't like fish, don't eat it, this is a life style change, not a punishment. You may find fish you like, but if you don't, don't worry about it.
  • elsyoommen
    elsyoommen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Freshness is clearly important... but try a white fish such as haddock, hake, or halibut. I usually end up with haddock due to price and availability at my local fishmonger. They all have mild flavour and a very pleasant texture. I dredge pieces in chickpea flour (besan) and pan fry them in olive oil then sprinkle with salt. My kids love this. (I add hot sauce on the side for myself) If you want to cut down on oil you could dredge with crumbs of your choosing plus some grated parmesan cheese and bake in the oven. You probably would not want to add salt to this version since the cheese would have salt already.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    The only reason I want to try fish is because it is good for you.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    we had snapper last night it was delicious.. first time eating it.
    We love salmon and tiliapia.

Conch is really awesome too I get that whenever i visit florida because it seems lots of restaurants down have it. Its freaking incredible.. I have no idea if that is healthy but I dont care its good!! nom nom...

Fresh much better than frozen imo
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This is a super easy and yummy recipe for white fish. I've tried it with cod and haddock and liked the haddock a little better. I didn't use the special mayo called for, just brushed on the Miracle Whip Light I already had on hand. And you don't really need the ranch dip either.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chip-crusted-fish-fillets-50400000117838/

As to the freshness comments - find out when your local grocery store or other fish monger gets their deliveries. I heard our local store gets their seafood on Tuesdays so I try to go Tuesday-Thursday to get the fresher pieces. I find most white fish doesn't seem to have the fishy flavor some people don't care for. You'll still smell an odor but it shouldn't be strong or rank.

Plan to cook and eat your fish the same day you buy it. If you don't plan to cook it immediately, freeze it. Fish can't sit around uncooked for a couple of days like you can do with chicken, pork or beef.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Monkfish

monkfish540.jpg
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you tried salmon? It has a different flavor than white fish so you may like it better. I would avoid catfish, I like fish but sometimes it's too "fishy" for me. Tilapia and Orange Roughy are good options, they have a mild flavor and can be flavored with so many different seasonings and sauces.
  • dutchieee0212
    Options
    I dont like most fish either, but I found pangasius doesnt taste like fish!
    I like tilapia as well, but thats a little more fishy than pangasius
  • trippymace
    Options
    I got started (back when I didn't count calories though) with salmon and pasta. Since then, I still love salmon as well as halibut. Frankly, I now relish in almost any fish, but I can't stand pangasius :/ I think it tastes... hm, musky? Although it's true that it doesn't taste fishy at all.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I personally do not like seafood at all but I will eat swai or tilapia. I prefer Swai because it is less calories and does not smell or taste fishy. I make it with some garlic and spinach and feta and it is delicious.