What else are you doing while you eat???

Options
Vivian06703188
Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I was sitting her on my computer and got hungry. I got up and fixed something to eat and then sat right back down at the computer do I pay attention to what I am eating, well yes and no. I plan calorie wise what I am going to eat and make sure it is within the diameters of my diet. But when it comes time to eat, it seems anything goes. TV, driving, computer, I could go on and on. I have decided no more multitasking while I eat. I am going to enjoy and pay attention to each bite. After all liking food it what got me here in the first place or was it multitasking and not paying attention? What do you think? What do you do? I enjoy food do you? :wink:

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Most of my day is feeding, changing the baby and running around with my 2 year old. I cannot fully focus on how yummy it is. ..now, my after the kids are in bed snack? Oh yes. I break out the Marvin Gaye and eat in slow motion.
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to just sit and enjoy my meal...I am a chronic multitasker!!! I am always on the computer or watching TV or doing housework while I am eating...who has time to just sit and eat for 20 minutes?? :happy: I have tried to just eat but I have a hard time doing it unless we are sitting down to family supper.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I only eat at the table. If I'm alone, I read the news or put my calories in mfp. If I'm with my family, we talk, and I try to avoid food being flung by my toddler.
  • magdalen13
    magdalen13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    usually eat breakfast and lunch while working... I'm a freelancer so an hour away from work is an hour of not making money :) As a result I probably eat too fast and pay no attention to what I'm eating. I do of course calorie count it before hand so I don't go over but I barely taste it going down most of the time! dinner is different, that's family time when we all talk about our day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I pay pretty good attention to my food even when in front of the TV. Hubs is always chiding me for missing parts of the movie or show we're trying to watch because I'm messing with my food. LOL!

However, I'm awful about paying attention to what I eat at my desk. Sometimes I actually look down after finishing my lunch and think - where did it go?! But it's the only way I can manage it because my lunch hour is spent in the gym. Gotta make compromises!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I always, always sit at the table to eat. If I can't relax and enjoy my food then I'd just as soon not eat it. I might have the TV on or surf the web on my laptop.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If I'm with others, I talk and eat. If I am alone, I am usually reading and/or online while I eat. Including breakfast. For meals, I'm very big on sitting at the table napkin in my lap etc...I prepare my plate with the appropriate portion, and then do other stuff while I eat. I actually think when it comes to lunch breaks especially, I eat a bit slower being online or reading because if I just had my small lunch in front of me it would take about 3 min to eat and with the laptop there I'll take 15-20 min to eat.

I never watch TV/movies while eating though. Partly because I turn my TV on about once every 6-8 weeks to watch a DVD or play a DVD-based board game with it. hehe
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I eat and read at the same time but never just simply eat.
  • kreationsforhome
    kreationsforhome Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I always pay 100% attention to my food. I enjoy its aroma and take tiny bites at a time. Helps me feel more full and satisfied with a meal.
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    During the day I'm usually working at my computer or playing with my 2 year old and sometimes I'll watch tv with my older kids during dinner.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You know, this is a very personal question. :bigsmile:

Okay,I confess: unless Don (honey) and I are eating together, I have the TV on or the laptop open. :smile:

Oh, at work--I eat my snacks and lunch at my desk.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm always doing something else, too. I portion out my meals, however, so at least I know I'm not going overboard, even if I clean my plate. For me, I have to remind myself to slow down - I tend to eat quickly.
  • africanstardust
    africanstardust Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I live alone during the semester and then I usually watch a movie while I eat, which is a really terrible habit because I end up eating waaayy too fast and not appreciating what I'm eating. When I'm home with my parents we always at least have lunch at the table, and often dinner too. We chat and catch up or just enjoy each other's company :)
  • TheBackStory
    Options
    If I'm alone I tend to stand in the kitchen while eating. I absolutely hate that I do this, my brain is always focusing on the next thing I need to get done.

If the family is home, we all sit down at the table, talk and eat...
This discussion has been closed.