What workout would you do next out of these....

Options
Ok, so I finished Turbo Jam and now my Turbo Fire is almost done (on my last week of 12 weeks) so I'm wondering what one I should do next. I bought some Beach Body workouts from a lady at work who I don't really know (I work for a big hospital, she advertised on our work's classifieds site so I don't know her at all) but she gave me NO equipment with my workouts except for one resistance band with the Turbo Fire. I have a small set of hand weights that are 3, 5 and 8 lbs and my fiance has a 10-20 lb set so I could potentially do something with some weights which is something I'm interested in as I'm finally getting some biceps thanks to the bit of resistance band work with Turbo Fire...

Ok, so these are the workouts I purchased from the lady at work:

P90X, Slim in 6, 10 Minute Trainer and Turbo Fire (which I'm almost done with TF, on week 12 but she did not include the advanced workouts for Turbo Fire).

I also own and completed the schedule of Turbo Jam that I bought from the website back when I could afford it, but I only have the basic first set, nothing additional.

I can't afford to buy anything else until after the new year (tons of birthdays in my immediate family plus holidays and sports gear I have to purchase for my kids) as well as I'm looking for a new job so I'm trying to keep as much money IN as I can in case there's a lapse in pay between my old job and a possible new one. Oh yeah, and I'm also currently in week 3 of the couch to 5K program, so 3 days a week I do jog (or a very slow run, whatever lol).

SOOOOO, I was just wondering what would you do next if you had to chose from those workouts I mentioned above to get through till after the new year when you could purchase something new.

Please don't say to buy anything else, I really honestly cannot afford it at this time or to buy any books right now. I live in a small town and the small town library rarely has new books in unless enough people request it. There is 1 small gym in town but I can't afford a membership right now and the nearest places to exercise I can't afford to join at this moment, not to mention they are all at least 40 minutes away one way and I have 3 kids at home so I just don't have the time to drive that long, go work out in a gym, and then drive home, so looking to do something I can do at home.

Also, if any of those workouts are completely unable to be completed due to needing to purchase more equipment, could someone please let me know (like I heard for P90X you HAVE to have a pull-up bar which I can't afford to buy)...etc.

Thanks guys!

:smile:

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Have you tried body weight exercises, yet? No special equipment needed.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Maybe you can find a copy of "Convict Conditioning" on-line if your library doesn't have some sort of swapping program in place.
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    Since you said you were interested in doing something with weights, and you already have a nice range of dumbbells, I would suggest giving P90X a shot. I've done it several times and love it. It is time-comsuming - about an hour a day - so that may be difficult for you.

In case you're not familiar with the program, it's layed out as 6 days of working out and 1 rest day per week. Those 6 days are broken down to 3 days of muscle group work with weights, 1 day of plyometrics, a yoga, and 1 day of a fun kempo (martial arts) workout. The instructor, Tony Horton, is a super nice and very corny guy who I absolutely love (then again, I'm quite corny and goofy myself :) ) Also, there are a lot of pullups, but if you don't have a pullup bar and can't afford to buy one, they show you how to work the same muscles with a resistance band.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Have you tried body weight exercises, yet? No special equipment needed.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Maybe you can find a copy of "Convict Conditioning" on-line if your library doesn't have some sort of swapping program in place.

In my small town there is nothing like that online library or swap program, but I'll look into it. Thanks for the link, I will look into that, too! I workout better when I have a schedule to follow, so I'm still on the lookout for what will be good for me. :)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    Since you said you were interested in doing something with weights, and you already have a nice range of dumbbells, I would suggest giving P90X a shot. I've done it several times and love it. It is time-comsuming - about an hour a day - so that may be difficult for you.

In case you're not familiar with the program, it's layed out as 6 days of working out and 1 rest day per week. Those 6 days are broken down to 3 days of muscle group work with weights, 1 day of plyometrics, a yoga, and 1 day of a fun kempo (martial arts) workout. The instructor, Tony Horton, is a super nice and very corny guy who I absolutely love (then again, I'm quite corny and goofy myself :) ) Also, there are a lot of pullups, but if you don't have a pullup bar and can't afford to buy one, they show you how to work the same muscles with a resistance band.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I've tried P90X once, core synergistics, and I couldnt walk for like 3 days, I was so sore!!! But, that was back 2 yrs ago before I lost any weight and back before I tried anything else, jumped head first into that. Now that I've completed Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire I may be able to do a little more, so the idea that I could possibly get through the program with some modification makes me a little excited to try it, but still anxious and nervous lol. Thanks for the info on the resistance bands instead of the pullup bar!! :)
  • Shanemintondotcom
    Shanemintondotcom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had amazing results with P90X, there is a video attacthed to my profile, I know that you said you didn't want to buy anything right now, but just thought I would let you know P90X and P90X2 challenge packs are on sale this month through a Team Beachbody Coach! Just thought I would share that! God BLess! Also P90X3 is coming out Dec. 10th
  • Shanemintondotcom
    Shanemintondotcom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    BTW I never used a pull up bar in P90X, I used resistance bands fro that part, you can modify!
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Slim in 6 will do nothing for your after finishing TF. I would try doing a combo of TF (for your cardio) and P90X for your weights! I never tried 10 min trainer, so I don't know what it's about. I'm starting P90X myself soon and right now finishing a combo of TF and ChaleanExtreme (which would have been my other suggestion)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    Slim in 6 will do nothing for your after finishing TF. I would try doing a combo of TF (for your cardio) and P90X for your weights! I never tried 10 min trainer, so I don't know what it's about. I'm starting P90X myself soon and right now finishing a combo of TF and ChaleanExtreme (which would have been my other suggestion)

I really really wanted to get Chalean Extreme, but its just not in the budget as we had to replace our fridge and our central AC (they both just stopped working within a month of each other, and we have lots of birthdays coming up (including twins who are turning 13 in 2 weeks). So, I'm putting off Chalean Extreme till after the holidays as I already have these other videos. :) But trust me, after christmas, Its MINE! :)

Thanks for your suggestion, I'm looking into doing that way, P90X and TF hybrid. :)
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I had amazing results with P90X, there is a video attacthed to my profile, I know that you said you didn't want to buy anything right now, but just thought I would let you know P90X and P90X2 challenge packs are on sale this month through a Team Beachbody Coach! Just thought I would share that! God BLess! Also P90X3 is coming out Dec. 10th

yes I know, my coach mentioned it, but I really can't afford anything else, besides I already have the P90X. I know it includes the shakeology, but like I said, just not in my budget till after the holidays. :) Thanks for the info on the resistance bands... I will be looking at your video in a few! :)
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If money is the concern, buy the one that is cheapest. It sounds like you would be willing to do any of them. Any program that you stick with will yield results. It's all about consistency - the mechanics of the program are minimal as far as results.

Good luck on meeting your goals!
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    If money is the concern, buy the one that is cheapest. It sounds like you would be willing to do any of them. Any program that you stick with will yield results. It's all about consistency - the mechanics of the program are minimal as far as results.

Good luck on meeting your goals!

I actually have all the ones I listed already, bought them off a girl at work back before summer. I originally was only planning on buying turbo Fire from her as I had just completed Turbo Jam right when she advertised them for sale, then thought why not, I'll buy them all,so now its a matter of which one I choose to do next. :) Its taking me longer to finish Turbo Fire because I've been really badly sick with sinus issues and trying to do both Turbo Fire and trying to start the couch to 5K program and being all sinus-y makes it hard to breathe, so my final week (recovery week) has been an extra long week lol (like 2 weeks now!) ;) But I'm SO CLOSE TO FINISHING!

I'm leaning more towards the P90X/Turbo Fire hybrid if I can handle P90X!! :noway: