My first half - the good, the bad and the embarrasing

Options
I finished my first half marathon! I ran the entire distance (I'm not fast by any means, but I didn't walk at all so I'm pretty proud of that!) The race was the MO Cowbell, so lots of cowbells were ringing for encouragement! Right before the race, waiting for the start, we rang our personal cowbells to "Don't Fear the Reaper". See the link for reason behind this song choice, its pretty funny.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/628756/

And then we were off. During the first mile I had somewhat of a wardrobe malfunction - my pants kept slipping downward! I thought, "How am I going to get through 13 miles if I have to keep hiking up my pants??" But thankfully, after I started sweating a bit, the problem fixed itself and they started staying in place. Whew! I was so worried about my pants falling down that I didn't even feel any of the first mile aches and pains that I get, so at least that was good!

At mile 5 we ran through a pumpkin farm which was a "high five" zone where all the spectators had their hands held out for a high five! It was pretty cool, and my husband and son had come there after the start to watch me come through. And of course at the farm, and throughout the course, people were there with their cowbells. I usually run with my MP3 player, and this time I put just one ear bud in so I could hear both the music and the race noises that I didn't want to miss.

The weather was fantastic for a race, very cool with a bit of a breeze. But - the coolness made my nose run like a river. There is some grossness that I won't mention here, but in the future, I will bring a Kleenex! (or several) And if I'm ever a spectator in the "high five zone", I might think twice before offering that kind of encouragement!

At mile 8, the promoters offered "gu gel" as well as water at a water station. I had never tried it before, so I figured "What the heck?" I don't know if it actually gave me any more energy, but if nothing else, it was a distraction to nurse my "gu gel" during the next two miles which were pretty much all up hill. That's where I noticed the most pain during the race. The "pad" of my left foot felt like it was being stretched so bad, it felt like it might split. But at this point, no way was I going to start walking now!

Thankfully, what comes up, must come down, and miles 11 and 12 were a much appreciated downhill, and when the finish line was in sight, it was very emotional for me. I ran across the finish line with a smile on my face, and tears in my eyes. Then a heavy finishers medal was placed around my neck, and I felt so proud that I had really earned such a cool thing.

Today, I am more sore than I think I have ever been, but I feel good just the same. And I already know that I will be back next year. :wink:

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You, my friend, are awesome. I can just hear the cowbells. You worried for nothing (except sagging pants and running nose!). Bet those were not even what you were worried about.

SO proud that you ran the whole way - but I'm sure that can not come close to how proud you are of yourself. Go you!!! :drinker:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is an amazing accomplishment!
  • LDC1969
    LDC1969 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    AWESOME JOB!!! I love to hear such great running experiences, you should be so proud of your great accomplishment!! Thank you for sharing your excellent experience!!! Keep on running!!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I got a little teary eyed reading about you crossing the finish line!
    I can't imagine the feeling of accomplishment you must have had!

Uncooperative pants and sinuses can't keep you down... oh no, oh heck no!!

Good for you :D
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I hate GU Gels...consistancy thing. I love Powerbar Gel Blasts....particularly the Raspberry ones!

Congrats on your first half finish!
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    And if I'm ever a spectator in the "high five zone", I might think twice before offering that kind of encouragement!

Wise words.

Congrats on running your first half!
  • Hab1978
    Hab1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow! How very proud you should be! That is amazing & your story made me tear up a bit! I'm currently training for my first half, but I've somewhat been in this 'can I really do it?' mode, making excuses about if my knee will hold up, or can I really run for that long in the cooler air....blah, blah, but your story just motivated me to keep going and not give up!! Thanks for being a great motivator and once again, Congrats!!!!!!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Wow. Congratulations.
  • tinakaur
    Options
    Great post. Congrats!!
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    GREAT narrative! I can almost feel myself there in the crowd!

CONGRATS!!! :drinker:
  • pkdscript
    pkdscript Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow - way to go. Such an accomplishment! I had run 3 previous half marathons before I got serious about losing weight and MFP. I have had a personal trainer for the past 3 1/2 months and lost close to 25 pounds. I am in the best shape I've been in for as long as I can remember. Last month, I ran my fourth marathon and improved my time by 30 minutes!! Goes to show how hard work really does pay off!!
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That's so great! Congrats on finishing and running the whole thing! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who got emotional at the finish line. I felt silly, but I wanted to bawl like a baby when I finished, even though I was incredibly happy--it was just an overwhelming experience :)
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great post, sounds like a really fun race!!! Congrats!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting over the finish line and doing so with a smile. You should be proud of that finishers medal, you earned it!
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    so awesome! Great job!!
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks everybody!! This site has some pretty awesome people on it!
  • paddgirl21
    paddgirl21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    awesome awesome job. this made me tear up. congratulations and i can't wait to hear about your next endeavor!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Awesome, phenomenal effort. Thank god the pants stayed up!!
  • heidiroyer1
    heidiroyer1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome. Congrats
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm working on doing a 10k by my next birthday. That was a wonderful story and an awesome run.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!