building muscle

Options
I am a long distance runner close to 50 years old but want to build some muscle. Running does promote a lean body but I want to balance out by shoulders, arms and chest. Any ideas?

Replies

• funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights 3x a week, eat at a calorie surplus, eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound body weight.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.

Eat at least all your TDEE. As a runner, that might be a lot of food.
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    I am a long distance runner close to 50 years old but want to build some muscle. Running does promote a lean body but I want to balance out by shoulders, arms and chest. Any ideas?

Get yourself a weightlifting routine, Day 1 Chest and tricep, Day 2 Back and Biceps, Day 3 Shoulders. If you don't want to go to the gym and have some dumbells at home you could check into programs like Beachbody Body Beast. You wont need a lot of weights for the program.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm in the opposite boat, I've been a heavy lifter for several years but want to get leaner so I've added running. I'd say in addition to back/biceps and chest/triceps/shoulders, add a day of doing legs too. Squats, lunges, leg extensions, hamstring curls, and calf raises add leg muscle to support your knees to lessen knee pain from running with an added bonus of making sprints faster. Definitely add a protein supplement (I like Unjury) after weight training and increase protein throught the day as well.
  • theredfro
    theredfro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lift weights and eat, eat, eat.
  • rgillespie5
    Options
    Added squats and upper body weight work out of light weights and high reps. Seems to be a good start and can already see results. More leaning up than building muscle. Never been a heavy lifter. Is that where I need to go to build mass?
  • VoicelessRide
    VoicelessRide Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just started incorporating lifting and see the results...3 days running 3 days lifting doing whole body work out
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy weights 3x a week, eat at a calorie surplus, eat at least 1 gram of protein per pound body weight.

this!
  • FACERFIT
    FACERFIT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To build mass, you want to go to hypertrophy... heavy doesnt mean mass gains.

In all scientific studies it quotes to go between 67% to 80% of your 1 Rep Max and do between 12-8 reps, FOR SIZE.

If you want strength, then work between the parameters of 80%-100% of your one rep max and do 1-6 reps

An increase in protein will help aid recovery and growth, however the body will only utilize this additional protein if you give the right stimulus. weight training will obviously do this, please ensure to work all body parts so you do not end up with terrible imbalances!!!

i have a page on facebook that offers tips for this sort of thing based on what i am learning whilst studying my REPS level 4 qualification.

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/FACERFIT
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Added squats and upper body weight work out of light weights and high reps. Seems to be a good start and can already see results. More leaning up than building muscle. Never been a heavy lifter. Is that where I need to go to build mass?

Look at programs like 5x5 Stronglifts, starting strength or allpro (an 8 to 12 rep) program any of these or others will serve your needs.