Rep ranges question

Options
Hi, I've been weight training twice a week for about 12 weeks now at 3x12, and have lost weight and inches. A few people (not on MFP) have told me to consider switching to a lower rep programme e.g. 5x5.
I understand that between 5-8 reps is ideal for strength, and 8-12 reps is ideal for hypertrophy. I'm not too concerned about training for strength but more on reducing body fat. Is one rep range more ideal for this over the other? I would have thought that I'd still see results with both, but would of course be lifting less weight with a 8-12 rep range?

I'm just a bit confused really.

Replies

• mallen404
    mallen404 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    training for strength will reduce body fat...

I do 7-10 reps usually. with higher weights.
  • adammeynell86
    adammeynell86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend the 5x5 programme for you for the following reasons;

1.As an beginning lifter, I doubt your joints and other connective tissues are properly adjusted to the stresses and strains of a heavy weight low rep programme, i would give it six months of lifting before going 5x5 to reduce the risk of injury.

2. A 5x5 programme requires rest periods of up to 3minutes between sets, a very poor way of calorie burning if thats your goal. If you achieved 5 sets in fifteen minutes, (12 of them sat waiting around) would you be happy?

If you want to strength train for calorie burn and weight loss, circuit training and minimal rest between sets is the way to go.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend the 5x5 programme for you for the following reasons;

1.As an beginning lifter, I doubt your joints and other connective tissues are properly adjusted to the stresses and strains of a heavy weight low rep programme, i would give it six months of lifting before going 5x5 to reduce the risk of injury.

2. A 5x5 programme requires rest periods of up to 3minutes between sets, a very poor way of calorie burning if thats your goal. If you achieved 5 sets in fifteen minutes, (12 of them sat waiting around) would you be happy?

If you want to strength train for calorie burn and weight loss, circuit training and minimal rest between sets is the way to go.

1. "Heavy" is relative, she wouldn't be lifting weight that she couldn't handle. I don't think there's a huge risk for injury, especially since she's been weight training for 3 months already. Plus, she may already be "lifting heavy" at her current range.

2. Lifting is not really about calorie burn, and resting periods vary from person to person. I rest for about 1 minute in between sets. She wouldn't need 3 minutes unless she was lifting very heavy weights, most likely.

OP- If what you're doing is working for you, and you're enjoying it, there's no reason to change. Especially since you're not particularly interested in strength gains.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Ignore all of this.

1. 5x5 (Stronglifts, especially) is a typical beginner's strength program. You start out with low weights, to get your body used to the motions.

2. There usually is no set rest period. Do the next set when you're ready. When starting out, and for quite a while, only about 1 minute of rest is usually needed between sets.

Either 5x5 or 3x10 is fine for maintaining muscle while losing fat. OP - you already know that you won't build as much strength on the 3x10 program. And since you're OK with that, you can do whichever you want. Also, if at a Caloric deficit, you won't build much (if any) muscle, which is the real point behind hypertrophy. Again, either is fine. While I would typically recommend a 5x5 or 3x5 program, the important thing is to just lift to maintain your muscle mass.

edit: Ninja'd by kylee.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Interesting, a beginner template is to advanced for a beginner you say...

Also, circuit training is not strength training. Strength training is well defined. Muscle failure in 5 of less reps.
  • WisiPls
    WisiPls Posts: 359
    Options

7-10 isn't really strength training, it's usually 1-5 reps, Although training for strength will help boost testosterone, it will not reduce fat unless you're eating under your caloric maintenance.

with that said, you can get stronger with a caloric deficit when strength training, but you will not build muscle.
  • adammeynell86
    adammeynell86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    One or two points,

I haven't heard of 5x5 being used as a beginner programme. To achieve failure in five reps or less normally requires a heavy weight and as such is used by people who can recruit that many muscle fibres, if beginners are starting there and using a lighter weight to get used to the motions then yeah, that would work to maintain muscle mass - and it wasn't or hasn't until now been something I had considered, we all live and learn.

Circuit training Isn't strength training? That however is completely and utterly wrong, working against any resistance in any form will build strength - regardless. (I appreciate we may of used the word strength in two different contexts) A person suffering from muscular atrophy often using a stationary cycle to maintain strength, are we know saying that isn't strength training? Circuit training does address the initial goal of fatloss, it gets the heart rate up and if done intensively enough with rest in the right places can border on similar training to HIIT. Its also a useful tool for if you don't have time to fit in Cardio since it leaves a much greater EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption) Debt, your body has to work hard to repay it afterwards.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    One or two points,

I haven't heard of 5x5 being used as a beginner programme. To achieve failure in five reps or less normally requires a heavy weight and as such is used by people who can recruit that many muscle fibres, if beginners are starting there and using a lighter weight to get used to the motions then yeah, that would work to maintain muscle mass - and it wasn't or hasn't until now been something I had considered, we all live and learn.

It's suggested constantly as a beginner's strength program. That's what I'm doing and I've never lifted weights in my life- no injuries to speak of. Strength training doesn't require pushing to failure, either. Not sure where you're getting that. And again, "heavy" is a relative term. It doesn't mean the same thing for anyone. Right now, my squats are at 95lbs. I'm lifting heavy, because that's heavy for me. BUT that same 95lbs is probably a warm up for other more experienced people.
  • mallen404
    Options

7-10 isn't really strength training, it's usually 1-5 reps, Although training for strength will help boost testosterone, it will not reduce fat unless you're eating under your caloric maintenance.

with that said, you can get stronger with a caloric deficit when strength training, but you will not build muscle.

I have been eating at maintenance, doing 7-10 reps, and have decreased my body fat by 5%.. so you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    One or two points,

Circuit training Isn't strength training? That however is completely and utterly wrong, working against any resistance in any form will build strength - regardless. (I appreciate we may of used the word strength in two different contexts) A person suffering from muscular atrophy often using a stationary cycle to maintain strength, are we know saying that isn't strength training? Circuit training does address the initial goal of fatloss, it gets the heart rate up and if done intensively enough with rest in the right places can border on similar training to HIIT. Its also a useful tool for if you don't have time to fit in Cardio since it leaves a much greater EPOC (Exercise Post Oxygen Consumption) Debt, your body has to work hard to repay it afterwards.
    \

Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner program where you start at a low weight and do 5 reps. If you complete that with proper form, you add 5 lbs on the next set. You continue this trend until you can no longer maintain form. You then continue that weight until you can progres again in 5 lb increments. Hence the name 5x5.
  • kyleekay10
    Options
    One or two points,

\

Stronglifts 5x5 is a beginner program where you start at a low weight and do 5 reps. If you complete that with proper form, you add 5 lbs on the next set. You continue this trend until you can no longer maintain form. You then continue that weight until you can progres again in 5 lb increments. Hence the name 5x5.

The loading description is correct, but I think it's mainly called 5x5 because you're doing 5 sets, with 5 reps each (total of 25 reps per exercise).
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    As long as you're lifting heavy and lifting to failure I don't think it matters how many reps you're doing.

Typically I try to do 10 on all 3 sets but most of the time it's 10/8/7 or some combination of that. It completely depends on how close to failure I am on the last rep and whether or not I go down in weight to finish out the set to get 10. Not only am I strong but I also have muscle.
  • Swesat
    Swesat Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. From what I've read I've gathered that the main benefit of a low rep program such as 5x5 is better strength gains. I guess I'll continue what I'm doing now as I'm still lifting heavy for me (my deadlifts are currently 45kg/99lbs after 6 weeks), and I've seen a 5% reduction in body fat. Once my focus/aim changes to strength gains I'll definitely change to a lower rep program.

I appreciate the help :)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    One or two points,

failure in 5 reps is failure in 5 reps. weight is relative, most beginners are unable to lift heavy, 5 reps, or 10. And yes, it's a beginner template. Have you even looked at it?
    getting stronger and strength training are not one and the same. Strength training means ATP-CP energy system power TypeIIb muscle fibers in maximal load movements. By definition, you're reaching failure in 5 reps or less. If you're going long than that, you're NOT doing strength training. though you are still doing resistance training, and can get stronger.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    losing weight is always going to be more about what you eat then what you do.

if weight loss is your primary goal, i'd stick to higher reps.

bottom line is that high volume and/or high intensity is the way to go.

which means do more work (higher volume) or the same work in less time (higher intensity)... or even more work in less time lol.

Can understand that people don't want to do cardio. I grew up in the weight room. never had a body close to what i wanted untill i started doing HIIT. Just my two cents.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not too concerned about training for strength but more on reducing body fat. Is one rep range more ideal for this over the other? I would have thought that I'd still see results with both, but would of course be lifting less weight with a 8-12 rep range?

Reducing body fat is done through diet. It is far more efficient to just create the calorie deficit in your diet (that's what MFP does) than to try to create one with exercise. Your fitness goals really should be independent of your weight loss goals...you aren't going to burn any more BF with a strength program vs hypertrophy program...maybe a couple more calories, but who cares...if you're doing it right, those calories are already accounted for either in your TDEE or you are logging them and eating them back with MFP...it's all about you calories in/out for BF reduction.

You will see changes in your physique using a strength program like 5x5 or Starting Strengthk but they're really about optimal strength gains. You will gain some strength gains with a hypertrophy routine, but those routines are really about optimizing physique.
  • mallen404
    Options
    I am so done with this thread.
  • bazzawood30
    bazzawood30 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    5x5 works, you will build bigger muscles bigger mucles require more calories your weight will drop if your calories remain the same. I find mixing things up restarts weight loss your body gets conditioned to training. Change your training your body adapts. Try 5x5 for a while then shift to something else.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This thread is blowing my mind. The OP asked which rep range is best for fat loss and people are actually trying to answer that question with numbers. Of rep ranges. Really.

Dear OP, being in a calorie deficit will help with fat loss. The rep range will make a difference that's so slight as to be insignificant. If you're enjoying your program (assuming it encompassed all the major muscle groups, then stick with it. If you'd like to make a change, feel free. Just don't make a change based on increased fat loss potential.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    This thread is blowing my mind. The OP asked which rep range is best for fat loss and people are actually trying to answer that question with numbers. Of rep ranges. Really.

Dear OP, being in a calorie deficit will help with fat loss. The rep range will make a difference that's so slight as to be insignificant. If you're enjoying your program (assuming it encompassed all the major muscle groups, then stick with it. If you'd like to make a change, feel free. Just don't make a change based on increased fat loss potential.

^^^ This

Stop being so aggro, people. :drinker: