Low carb, high protein.... HELP !!!

Options
Ok, Last Tuesday I began a low carb, high protein diet. A friend of mine has a trainer that told her (then she told me), that you shouldn't eat processed foods, drink any caffeine, or have any potatoes or white bread, etc. Her trainer also said you can eat as much fruit as you want. This is where I am confused. Obviously, fruit is better to eat than a Snickers bar but it still has natural sugar and calories. I have been eating one to two small apples a day or one to two bananas a day for my snacks in between a light breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I need advice from someone that has did a low carb diet. I'm currently eating less than 100 grams of carbs per day. The average so far is about 60 a day.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    2 bananas alone is 60g in carbs.

Are you wanting to go actual low carb or just 'low "starchy" carb'?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok, Last Tuesday I began a low carb, high protein diet. A friend of mine has a trainer that told her (then she told me), that you shouldn't eat processed foods, drink any caffeine, or have any potatoes or white bread, etc. Her trainer also said you can eat as much fruit as you want. This is where I am confused. Obviously, fruit is better to eat than a Snickers bar but it still has natural sugar and calories. I have been eating one to two small apples a day or one to two bananas a day for my snacks in between a light breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I need advice from someone that has did a low carb diet. I'm currently eating less than 100 grams of carbs per day. The average so far is about 60 a day.

Your friend should look into a different trainer that isn't an idiot
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You don't eat fruit like that. If you want to do low carb.correctly, check out the Atkins site. They have everything you need to know for free. I only eat low glycemic fruits like berries, or half an apple and that's only 2-3 times a week.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

We can end this topic right here..
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I would do a program where you are going <100 gr / day.

You are asking for a binge day.....

The only time I would say do that, is for maybe 2 weeks at most....and then start adding back in some carbs slowly.....

But I would just moderate your carb intake on a daily basis....
    So if before you were at >250 gr/ day.
    Then try to get ~200 gr/day.....try it for 2 - 3 weeks, and see where you are.
  • LaLa5580
    Options
    Lmao. Yes that is exactly what I thought after I decided to go low carb and then looked up fruits on here. I was like oh hell no this will not work. Yes she needs a different trainer. I am cutting out starchy stuff completely. No white bread, potatoes. No beans or pastas. I would like low carb though as well. I have been having baked salmon or chicken with steamed vegetables. It's mainly the fruit that has the dang carbs but fruit is good sometimes right? Lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    sigh....I hate the fact that potatoes and the like have been demonized...a perfectly nutritious whole food like a potato is now the devil...sigh...
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Yes fruit is good.

Carbs are not bad.
    Over consuming anything will lead to getting fat.

The idea, is to consume what your body needs.

Now carbs are not an "essential" macro in your diet.....but they do help regulate your mood. :happy:

On days I work out, I consume >300 gr of carbs.....some times over 500gr.
    And that is rice and sweet potatoes.
    I do typically avoid white bread....but that is me.
    And I do like pasta though. :smile:

Carbs are in your veggies, BTW.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

never mind... was just agreeing that the trainer is an idiot (maybe harsh but doesn't have a clue what low carb means)
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well IMO is not High Protien/Low Carb. You're protien macro stays where it needs to be; it's steady. You're eating either High Fat/Low Carb or Low fat/High Carb. The body needs either fat or carbs for energy. If you're doing High protien/low fat/low carb you're seriously stressing your body and soon you'll be complaining about a lack of results.

FYI getting you fat intake up and keeping ALL carbs between 50-100 is hard, but in my experience it's my magic zone for weight loss.

A diff trainer may help.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    what is the difference between setting your carb limit at say 122, calories and 1220 and eating what you want... then exercising it all off?? I have been doing this for the past 4+ months and have lost 30,4oz. It appears to work for me.

Yes, avoid the foods you KNOW are not good: greasy foods, high carb foods, etc etc.. but if you eat whatever you eat and then exercise it off, what is the difference??
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    another one?!
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Veggies and meat? look up low carb vegetables I googled it and had a billion results.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I dont usually eat cCs, but when I do, I make sure she takes a bath first.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Low carb & high protein isn't very safe as protein can turn into glucose & can be hard on the kidneys.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

We can end this topic right here..

Bang.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cafajo
    cafajo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    u need to eat less than 20 gm of carbs per day in order to lose 8-10 lbs a month. no bread, no potatoes, rice and pasta. the only fruits are raspberry, blue berries, strawberries and granny smith apples. they are low in carb. also, Kroger's grocery store has a low carb brand of yogurt called carb master. it has only 5 gm of carbs. hope this helps.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Low carb & high protein isn't very safe as protein can turn into glucose & can be hard on the kidneys.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
  • LaLa5580
    Options
    Yes, when I google things so many different things pop up. It's kind of ridiculous. And now we know a "professional" can't exactly be trusted either. Yes it's typically high fat and low carbs and low cals. I have been around 1200-1500 calories a day, under 100 grams of carbs a day. I am just looking for opinions from people that have tried this or at least knows what they are talking about. Any rude comments or comments that doesn't answer my question really aren't necessary. I am just on here for a little insight and encouragement just like everyone else. Thank you
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    veggies and fruits are carbs. My diet is high protein/low carb not by conscience decision though. I am just not a carb *kitten*. I am a long distance runner and had to up carbs for performance, without them endurance becomes an issue/struggle. But its still considered low. I do occasionally eat pasta and rice, but always brown or whole grain, as well as my breads. I focus on high protein/high fiber to help stay fuller longer. Carbs are my energy and to sustain my workouts