Best workout/running shoes-any suggestions?

Options
amanda7630
amanda7630 Posts: 43
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I'm just about to graduate school Oct 25th so I will finally have time in my life again! I am so exicted to start working out and getting into shape. My graduation present to myself is a new pair of great workout shoes. What brand should I go for? I really like to run if that makes a big difference but I need a pair I can lift in and do other types of cardio as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hey - I would treat myself to a pair of shoes properly fitted for your feet. Not sure where you live, but I get fitted at the running room for my shoes. Not all shoes are fit all feet. Enjoy!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I'd say go to a legit running store (not a chain sporting goods store). They will look at the way you walk and run and they will tell you what shoes are best for your gait.

I'm an Asics DS Trainer 18 myself, but the running store helped me pick them.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go to a specialized running shoe store and get fitted, they will watch you run, and see your gate, how you foot strike, etc, and recommend a few brands and let you try them all on and walk and jog around in the store to try them out.. My store even lets you go out on the sidewalk out front to do alittle road test. This is by far the best advice I can give Best of Luck
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The "best" running shoes depend on you and how you run. As other's have said, go to a running store and get fitted, no subsitute...
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I work for a podiatrist and he always recommends wearing Asics gels for the best support !
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would add a garmin to my present to me :)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have Nike, New Balance, and Fila running shoes and New Balance and Nike cross trainers and K-swiss tennis shoes... Find one that fits well and feels good... I would get two pairs to allow air time between uses... It will increase the life of the shoes... I also have Propet walkers and Rockport walkers for work. Having good footware will minimize the chances of foot injuries... Also when starting to run avoid overstriding that causes shin splints... Nothing worse than getting a few weeks into working out and getting sidelined for months.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Repeat what most ppl have allready stated go to a running store and get properly fitted. Myself I wear New Balance 860v3 then Brooks ghosts for the cooler weather.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, you should get the ones that fit best, and none of us can tell you what that is. Most of the bigger brands make neutral and supportive shoes, cushioning and minimal, racers and trainers, etc etc, so brand is largely irrelevant.

Find the ones that fits you foot and supports your stride the best.
  • CarlaAnn15
    CarlaAnn15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The best shoes I have had for running, walking and use for crossfit is Brooks Adrenaline. My daughter and her boyfriend got me hooked on them. Others I run with wear Brooks and New Balance. And some have gone to a special store to be fitted for running shoes as others mentioned. I've had NB, Reebok, Nike, and a few others but have found Brooks have been the best for my arches. Good Luck to you!!
  • amanda7630
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I am not sure where in the heck there is a store around Chico CA to get my feet sized/fitted but I'll look it up!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm just about to graduate school Oct 25th so I will finally have time in my life again! I am so exicted to start working out and getting into shape. My graduation present to myself is a new pair of great workout shoes. What brand should I go for? I really like to run if that makes a big difference but I need a pair I can lift in and do other types of cardio as well. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

Here where I live, we have two running stores where they measure your feet and your stride (on the treadmill) while you run to sell you the correct shoe for your feet, and it's free. However, their shoes are usually a bit more expensive than if you go to the local sports store, such as Big 5, but they claim they have better quality shoes. I had my feet measured for the right shoe and did the treadmill test and bought a pair of the shoes they recommended.

When it came time to buy new shoes, I went to the local sports store and bought the type I wear much cheaper, as well as on sale, and I found no difference in the quality. Both the expensive and inexpensive shoes lasted about the same amount of time.

I think the important thing is to find the right shoe for you. I love my Aisics.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I am not sure where in the heck there is a store around Chico CA to get my feet sized/fitted but I'll look it up!

Fleet Feet. We have one here too.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Can't suggest shoes, what works for me might injure you. But can suggest to go get fitted for shoes. If you really want to get back into running then hit up a respected running store and let them fit you properly. Those cute shoes with the little pink gems stones might look awesome, but cause stress fractures later.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I swear by Asics. I wear them to run in, and they give really good support. I tried the Nike Free's to run in and for me they are so lightweight that they do nothing to support me!
  • millionairesstv
    millionairesstv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    not sure if you are in london
    Nike town have someone check your feet and fit you with a suitable pair
    I brought mine in 2009 and I still wear them today
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The military shoed us this way:
    New balance = Flat feet
    Asics = Neutral/High Arch feet
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Fleet Feet. We have one here too.

Yep OP looks to be one right in your hometown:

http://www.fleetfeetchico.com/
  • kdoty0305
    Options
    Asics Gel Nimbus! I've tried so many other shoes and none compare! Totally recommend! I'm on my second pair.
  • prozacprincess
    Options
    i am in love with nice free runs - a little pricey but worth every penny! they feel as if you aren't even wearing trainers - best shoes by far!
This discussion has been closed.