weight gain and womens monthlies.

Options
i started trying to lose weight 2-3 weeks ago now. i started at 145 and on friday i was 141. so happy.

but over the weekend ive gained it back and im back to 144. ive eated a little crappy, especially on sat it was rugby night so i had fajitas and bacon sandwiches. and i admit on thurs and friday i had cheese sandwiches and ate back my exercise calories, and maybe a little over. but i didnt think id put nearly 3lbs on from it all.

so i was wondering how much of it is because i over ate and how much is because my periods due? and how can you tell if your bloated and have water retention? i feel really bad about myself now. 2 weeks hard work is all gone

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Your menstrual cycle can indeed cause your weight to fluctuate, usually upwards, as a result of water retention. Another factor that causes water retention is a high sodium diet. It sounds like you ate a lot of salty foods and also have your period coming up, so don't worry about a few pounds gained from it.

Another factor that can increase your weight is if you recently began working out. Your body stores extra water and glycogen to fuel your muscles.

Best of luck to you!
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    If you lost 4 pounds in 2-3 weeks at your weight, would think THAT loss was water weight and due to menstruation and eating food full of sodium, you retained it back. Unless you really ate over 10,000 calories (over your bmr) on the weekend....

Drink more water.

And you might need to change your goal to 1/2 pound a week to ensure a smoother weight loss.
  • alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's probably not all gone, it's possible to gain quite a lot of water weight before your period. The highest I've know of for myself is 6pounds! It will most likely all come off (and possibly more) by the end of your period. Just stick to what your doing to lose weight and get through it. :) no need to be disheartened.
  • FrankieBenjamin
    FrankieBenjamin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I haven't been tracking long enough to answer you from experience (nor do I know enough of the science behind it) however, just read this and nice to know I am in the same boat today! I weigh everyday, just to see how things are going - keeps me motivated etc. Had a bad week at work last week and wasn't feeling very well - great triggers to comfort eat etc, having said that I still managed to loose around 2kg, until this morning where 1kg jumped back on overnight. I thought I was doing well as I had pushed the cals somewhat last week (and was happy to accept a gain or not as much of a loss as its my mouth and I am responsible for what goes in it!) but as I am just about to start my period also wondered which has had the impact or a bit of both. Would be interested to hear other womens experiences.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    usually im always under on the salt. im not a lover of the stuff. so have no probs coming under. except my bacon sarny its my one good thing a week.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    usually im always under on the salt. im not a lover of the stuff. so have no probs coming under. except my bacon sarny its my one good thing a week.

If that is true, then it is likely just your period causing water retention. Track it for a few months to see when you normally gain.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i dont think it was water weight that was lost. i was the fact that i ate way better than i usually do and killed it at the gym. i worked very hard for it.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I always gain 5lbs or more in the days preceding my period, seemingly overnight. But once it arrives, the pounds go off again unless I've gone overboard with my sodium intake. Do yourself a favour and ignore the scale that week.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    I always gain 5lbs or more in the days preceding my period, seemingly overnight. But once it arrives, the pounds go off again unless I've gone overboard with my sodium intake. Do yourself a favour and ignore the scale that week.

urgh, i hope mine goes too. i feel rotten
  • Angold83
    Angold83 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm due on Saturday and I tend to gain between 3-6lbs. It sucks! I always tend to crave so much more in the week building up to it. Try to drink more water and just ignore the scale that week :-)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always gain 2-3 lbs before AF and lose it sometimes in the middle of it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Me too! Also, Midol and Pamprin have a diuretic in it (as well as pain killer) if you're concerned with bloating and/or water weight.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I usually gain between 5-10 lbs with my time of the month but I lose it again at the end of the period. Gaining at some point around your period is very normal. But I do agree with a few of the above posters that it might be sodium also. Drinking more water will help with the sodium and I know for me, it also helps my period go slightly better. So I recommend increasing water for either case!
  • jallforme3
    jallforme3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I avoid the scale until my period is over. That means I'm avoiding the scale right now! ;) I gain about 5 pounds during the time but it goes right away once it ends. Drink lots of water to help you stay full meanwhile. Try to avoid eating unhealthy. I know, cravings are the death of me. I just ate whatever I wanted for two days straight thanks to it....but back on track now! Good Luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You have had approximately 120 periods - how much do you usually bloat and how much do you usually gain?

I would record your weight each week of the month for three months and then go back and notice if it always goes up right before, and also how long it takes to go down.

This should help you get a jumpstart on what your body is doing :)
  • sbrya03
    sbrya03 Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My period makes me gain 5 ish pounds
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Highly likely water weight.

If I've been eating salty foods I can gain a good 8-10lbs during my ToM and it can take 2 weeks before any real change. It stopped though since I've been talking magnesium and I've upped my water =)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I usually gain in the neighborhood of 3-5 lbs during ovulation and during cycle. It always goes away in a few days after, though.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    (Wow necro thread)

But yeah, it's normal. I gain 2-3 pounds about five days before and usually lose it a couple days after it starts..