Re-Org at work = HORRIBLE eating :(

Options
Hi all...

So my department is going through a massive re-org and its just been super stressful lately at work...which has led to me literally binge eating in the afternoon all because of stress! Management has not really let anything out...just a couple small details...and we have to wait till the 'dust' settles. I dont know what it is...I literally eat lunch and everyone vents during that time and then I eat candy and crap in the afternoon! This is mainly a vent session...and I am sorry for that...I just dont know where else to turn...ANY help is welcome.

Replies

• ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    can you bring something from home that is more healthy when you feel the need to munch?
    i know i am a "stress" eater, so i just try to plan ahead by having healthier snacks like almonds, yogurt or fiber bar.
    good luck and hang in there::bigsmile:
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you are going through this. Maybe you can pre-buy snacks that are better versions of what you normally binge on. Maybe grab some 100 calorie snacks or some fruits? Also, I find that when I am stressed I get the BEST workouts! That will help let off steam! You can do it!
  • ksnurse25
    ksnurse25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about stress eating. I just lost my uncle yesterday and I looked at my foods that I had yesterday and I am absolutely horrified! First off, do you take your own lunches to work? If you do not, it would be a good idea to take your own foods and own portions so you have control of what you are consuming. Yeah, this takes some time and preparation, but then you don't find yourself gorging on calories that add up waaaaaay to quickly. Sorry it has been stressful for you at work, but this too shall pass my friend. Good luck! :smile:
  • iliketopaint
    Options
    I am the same way with stress and eating, I really can empathize. Being upset with yourself about falling off track will only cause you more stress=more binge eating. Everyone makes mistakes, and the fact that you know your triggers means you're farther along than most people. Move forward and try to do better today :)
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are going through this. I like the suggestions you've gotten about eating healthier snacks. Also, can you take a quick walk during lunch? Even 15 minutes would get your blood pumping and help your body release some nervous energy. Hope everything works out, and soon!
  • toniz63
    toniz63 Posts: 13
    Options
    Keep a supply of cut veggies that you ucan snack on instead of the candy. The best advice that I ever got was to brush your teeth right after you eat. The leftover taste of the toothpaste will change the flavor of your snacks and make them less desirable to eat. You can also chew gum throughout the afternoon which will again make the taste of the candy and junk food less appetizing.
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    thank you thank you soooo much for all the tips and advice!! I seriously love this website!!
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    I'm sorry for what you are going through. There was recently a re-org at my office. 10% of our staff was cut. I totally feel your pain.

THAT said:

Eating as a means to alleviate stress is an exercise in futility. As a former food addict (food was my drug of choice to 'deal' with any uncomfortable situation), I know personally that eating the donut, drinking the frappucino, losing myself in a bag of chips or the candy bowl, WHATEVER, does not take the stress away. Maybe for a moment the food feels like an escape from the discomfort, but when the food is gone the stress is still present.

For me, the stress was always WORSE after escaping into food because now I was stressed AND felt guilty about over-eating. Eventually, I realized that I was 'kicking myself when I was down' with my over-eating. Exactly the opposite of what I was going for.

There is something else you like besides food. Something that, once experienced, does not leave you bloated/over your daily calories/gassy/running to the ladies room/feeling bad about yourself/etc. Do something that feels good during AND after to alleviate your stress and love yourself through this difficult time.

Charmagne
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If I'm having a stress day, I try to get it out of my system. I will eat what I want for a night and I usually feel better the next day. The key is to not feel too guilty and to try to stay on track. And if you still feel compelled to eat, try to eat more healthy food. Bring popcorn, fruit, etc.