eating back calories results and expreiences

Options

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I eat them back but use a HRM rather than MFP's calorie estimate for exercise as I find MFP over-estimates calorie burn for me. A little over 6 months on I've lost 66lbs and not been hungry or felt deprived in that time so eating back exercise cals is working for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    There really needs to be a sticky thread on the dangers of relying on an HRM or FitBit or BodyBug or etc for accurate calorie burns....
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat them back. Hell, most of the reason I work out is so I can eat more. And in the process I end up looking and feeling better anyway.

Yes. I love to eat so that's one of the main reasons I work out (As bad as it sounds)

same here.
    plus if i want to run better and longer i need to fuel my body..
  • jeffrowley72
    jeffrowley72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    never mind
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back-don't see the point in burning them off if you do

lost 1lb per week,

LOL.

and this is funny, why?
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options

lost 1lb per week,

*sigh*

so sorry this makes you sad, but it is MY opinion of MY experience. And that is what was asked.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back. Basically, what decides whether i eat them back or not is if my minimum netted calories falls under 1200... I try to keep my net calories at least above 1200
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    The first 15lb was lost not eating them back, and then I stalled for a good 5/6 months and wondered why I felt tired and sluggish and generally awful. Oh, and starving - complete with the snarling shewolf grumpiness.

Then I read the forums on here, I researched how MFP should actually work - yes, I was stupid and assumed that eating cals back defeated the object and I needed to see negative net.
    Now, I eat about 80% of mine back - again, mostly for MFP's errors with the logging. Lost 60lb doing it. I feel fitter, stronger, healthier... I'm losing weight, and I get to eat food!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There really needs to be a sticky thread on the dangers of relying on an HRM or FitBit or BodyBug or etc for accurate calorie burns....

Why? (Specifically HRM) - mine links to my Garmin Forerunner which has my age, weight, sex details. Given my consistent weight loss (and I log everything), I have no reason to think that the HRM data is significantly incorrect for cardio exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

lost 1lb per week,

*sigh*

make that a double....
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Disagree - they don't have to be accurate, they just have to be consistent.
    If you are consistent in your food logging plus your exercise estimates and then adjust intake based on results then I really don't see the problem?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The reason there is debate is because people A) don't understand why they should or shouldn't eat them back and/or B) can't estimate/measure correctly.

Figure out those 2 things and it all becomes incredibly easy.

^ This is a fair view of most of the problem.

Just to belabor the point....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

They're not that, either. Do a 12 week running program and the HRM will give significantly different results at the end of it than at the beginning of it.

They're a great tool, and I love mine, and use it daily, but it's a cluster**** for the majority of people who don't understand what they actually do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

If you are consistent in your food logging plus your exercise estimates and then adjust intake based on results then I really don't see the problem?

Agreed.

The point is that there are way to many people who, seemingly, blindly swear by them under all conditions without any thought. And that's the problem.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    making sarcastic comments doesn't really help anyone......the 3 of you that commented on my post should enlighten me as to why I am so incorrect in my statement? Share your wealth of knowledge if you have any....
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat mine! Exercise calories are the most delicious calories. Size 10 down from a 16.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I always eat them back. I'm ravenous after workouts. I suppose I'd lose more weight but part of the fun of working out is the increased appetite so I can enjoy all the food :smile:
    I might go back on a 'cut' soon and see how eating back only a portion may help...
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't think this thread has helped the OP.

I usually take a glass of Jack Daniels as a reward for working out or exercising. But my rule is to eat back 50% of exercise calories, otherwise there's no point in exercising in the first place!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    Options
    bottom line is you need to do what works for you. Every BODY is different. There is no one correct way. Try both methods and see which works for you.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Ate the vast majority back while losing weight, while maintaining, and right now, doing my best to eat them all while bulking. Learnt that my fitbit does underestimate my tdee by somewhere in the range of 200-300 calories a day on average, so I get to enjoy an insane amount of food just to keep up with my lifestyle before even factoring in exercise.