Fitbit Question

Options
I am thinking of purchasing a fitbit flex and was wondering can you use it while swimming laps and will it track those calories?

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good question. I am also considering getting a fitbit and this hadn't even crossed my mind. Looking forward to seeing the answers.
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit.. and it took me a long time to actually purchase one, I mean they are not cheap...but I do love love love it... as for you question .... there is a Fitbit Forum that you can ask questions.....I am sorry I dont' know the answer myself. good Luck!
  • ktaylormusic
    ktaylormusic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've just been researching fitbits, and this is what the fitbit site says about the flex:

"Water Resistance and Swimming

While it is water resistant and can be submerged up to 10 meters, Flex is not designed to track swimming activities. If you want to better reflect your swimming activity and calories burned, we recommend logging the activity on the Activities page of your Dashboard."
    https://help.fitbit.com/customer/portal/articles/917789-what-does-fitbit-flex-track-
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is water RESISTANT, not water PROOF, so no, you can't wear it swimming. (I don't even wear mine in the shower.) Your swimming would have to be logged manually.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    FitBit don't do a waterproof version that you can use at the moment. The most they say is splashproof. I love my FitBit and wear it all the time night and day but am not a swimmer although it does get pretty sweaty!
  • mattoc
    mattoc Posts: 6
    Options
    I have the flex and wear it every day in the shower. It won't work for swimming, sorry! Not sure about any of the competitors' wearable fitness trackers.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    BTW, I love, love, mine, too!!! Something very motivating about seeing just "one more light" light up on that bracelet. Sometimes, when I'm at 4.5 lights, I'll tell my husband, "c'mon - we've gotta take a walk...I don't have 5 lights, yet!" And I really love that sleep tracker feature.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Fitbits for on the land.

This for in the water:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/23
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I still may get one as I am expanding my exercising to more than swimming. I appreciate all the help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    fwiw, I also ALWAYS wear mine in the shower. The fitbit site says it's fine to wear it in the shower.
    And yes, it's very easy to add an activity like swimming. I add cycling.
  • l5barber
    Options
    I've got a Flex and I haven't managed to drown mine yet. I've worn it in water - the manufacturer says it's good to 10 meters, actually.

As far as it tracking your swimming... while it won't track that specifically apparently, it does track your body movement and convert that to steps or to calories burned (for example, if you're really restless in bed and keep hitting the snooze button and flipping around, it shows steps incurred even though you never stood up). You're going to see some form of energy expended if you wore it swimming although it's not smart enough to figure out you're doing laps or anything.

FYI if you decide to get one - I found it easier to add the activities it doesn't quite understand how to log (weight lifting, for example) via this website (myfitnesspal) - you've got more options. I've also found it's easier to track food consumed off this website vs. the fitbit one (better database, better interface).

Hopefully this helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've got a Flex and I haven't managed to drown mine yet. I've worn it in water - the manufacturer says it's good to 10 meters, actually.

As far as it tracking your swimming... while it won't track that specifically apparently, it does track your body movement and convert that to steps or to calories burned (for example, if you're really restless in bed and keep hitting the snooze button and flipping around, it shows steps incurred even though you never stood up). You're going to see some form of energy expended if you wore it swimming although it's not smart enough to figure out you're doing laps or anything.

FYI if you decide to get one - I found it easier to add the activities it doesn't quite understand how to log (weight lifting, for example) via this website (myfitnesspal) - you've got more options. I've also found it's easier to track food consumed off this website vs. the fitbit one (better database, better interface).

Hopefully this helps.
    AGREED