How do you know if you have shin splints?

Options
I looked up my symptoms and it looks like that's what I have... I haven't been stretching before a workout, stupid I know. but my uncle a so called fitness trainer, says its not?

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    A doc would diagnose it better than a PT to be honest :flowerforyou:
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have no insurance or money to pay for a doc visit :(
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Just rest for a week or so (no working out) and see if it goes away. If it does, you should stretch next time and get better running shoes <- important! If it doesn't, you really should find a way to see a doc.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints all the time when I first started power walking and then again when I started running.

My shins absolutely killed the next day where it even hurt to walk.

Here is what worked for me:

Always always stretch before a workout, that is so important.

Invest in a GOOD pair or running shoes.

Also, there are exercises you can do to build strength in your shins which will help a lot...similar to a calf raise.

In the meantime, ICE your shins for about 20 minutes per leg after your workouts, this helps so much with the soreness. They do also recommend you ice before a run as well. I have never iced before myself.

Don't push yourself to workout with shin splints, you will only make them worse!

Now that I have been working out for a longer period of time I don't get shin splints anymore.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I looked up my symptoms and it looks like that's what I have...

Is the pain on the inner half or outer half of your shins?

When it hurts, does it hurt when you press on it?

Which exercises do you think caused it?
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    yeah it hurts when I touch it, but doesn't really hurt otherwise unless I'm on the elliptical. It's kindly in the middle...
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    and a lil on the outer half
  • Ajaxrunner
    Options
    Shin Splints are generally an "over use" injury. Stretching isn't going to help prevent them. Actually static stretching increases risk of injury. There simply is no scientific evidence in any studies to suggest that stretching is beneficial when it relates to injury prevention.

Reduce your exercise a little, let the shin splints heal and then slowly ramp up duration and intensity again.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    When I got shin splints when I started running in April I was told to run slower. It really helped. Perhaps you're going too fast during your cardio exercises.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Shin Splints are generally an "over use" injury. Stretching isn't going to help prevent them. Actually static stretching increases risk of injury. There simply is no scientific evidence in any studies to suggest that stretching is beneficial when it relates to injury prevention.

Reduce your exercise a little, let the shin splints heal and then slowly ramp up duration and intensity again.
    THIS. Basically your tibialis and extensor digitorum are unconditioned. Rest and restart with less intensity until your muscles adapt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jjcrispin
    jjcrispin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is more important to stretch AFTER exercise, helps move that lactic acid. As below, when you start to run you are liable to get shin splints but if you don't overdo it they will get better in time. Little and more often is better until your legs (shins) get used to it.
    I hope you find the attached useful.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beating-injury/shinsplints---how-to-beat-them/234.html
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    they only hurt when I'm on the elliptical. but I afraid to slow down on the elliptical cuz i'm trying to burn a lot of calories.
    but I guess I have no choice lol
    how long should I take off from doing it though? I don't wanna take too long?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    they only hurt when I'm on the elliptical. but I afraid to slow down on the elliptical cuz i'm trying to burn a lot of calories.
    but I guess I have no choice lol
    how long should I take off from doing it though? I don't wanna take too long?
    Then get off the elliptical. Stepmill, stairmaster, and a treadmill at incline are good alternatives.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kasimarie29
    Options
    I need something that's none impact because of hip and ankle injuries... that's what I was told by my dr.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I need something that's none impact because of hip and ankle injuries... that's what I was told by my dr.
    Stepmill and stairmaster are non impact. Biking is another. If elliptical is bothering your tibialis, then there's no reason to continue using it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • silianne
    Options
    Do you feel pain in the front lower leg? If so, then it’s probably shin splints. They’re actually caused by stress and strain in the area. Check out this article that really helped me http://teamdoctorsblog.com/2012/12/shint-splints-self-help-tips-treatment-and-prevention-from-team-doctors/ Everything you need to know about shin splints is there and a lot more! It includes video tutorials on how you can relieve the pain. I, myself did the Deep Tissue Treatment Dr. James Stoxen demonstrated and it’s really been effective for me. Yes, I had shin splints two years ago and it was very painful. That article helped a lot!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    yeah it hurts when I touch it, but doesn't really hurt otherwise unless I'm on the elliptical. It's kindly in the middle...

Apply ice for 15 minutes after each workout. You probably don't need to stop. Just back off a bit if it's bothering you too much during the workout and otherwise you'll eventually get used to it.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    When I got shin splints when I started running in April I was told to run slower. It really helped. Perhaps you're going too fast during your cardio exercises.
    ^^^This is pretty close here^^^ Over striding especially on hard surfaces with inadequate footware... Take it easy and once you start back take smaller steps when you run...
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Your body is telling you to slow down and be a bit more patient. Listen and go at an appropriate pace. Shoes will help, but time and weight loss will be much more effective. Running might not be in the cards right now, but walking at a steep incline might.