MFP users! Please help me motivate my boyfriend!

Options
Hello out there!

My boyfriend and I have both been trying to lose weight and I have been lucky enough to find this website. It has helped me immensely these last 2 months and I have already lost almost 10 lbs! My boyfriend has been weary of keeping a food diary and using this website on a regular basis (for reasons I don't completely understand) but I think that he is starting to loosen up a bit. I know that if he could see how much support and motivation this website provides through its users (YES YOU!) that he may relent and start really taking a more active role in losing weight. Here is his MFP page: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/charlestondavis
I know that it would be especially great if some men around his age that are going through the same things or have lost weight using MFP could reach out to him and motivate him. But ANYONE who is willing to reach out is more than welcome! Please help me show him the light!!! Thank you!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    He is around my age, I sent him a message and sent a friend request.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    It is tough to motivate someone else, but if you are in charge of making meals you can steer him in the right directions. Get him out and do things, active things, but don't label it. Go bowling, go for walks, go biking, have more sex (Insert Blush here), just anything to get him moving and make the weightloss happen without him noticing. I tried and failed with my kid for way too many years, but she didn't BELIEVE that she could lose weight and rejected even trying. She is up to 28 pounds lost now and making tremendous headway. But I could never take any credit for her progress, she made up her mind and she did it. Good luck and hopefully once he really sees how well you're doing, he'll join it.
  • charlestondavis
    Options
    Ha. Ha. Ha. I'm not motivated? I don't think that's true. I admit it's tough to be consistent but I'm definitely controlling my diet much more, and I am positive that I will get myself back in shape and back to my goal weight. Of course I'm glad to know what others have done to achieve so much success, and any support I can give or receive is great. But don't write me off yet! While it's true I have a long, long way to go yet, I've actually lost more than ten pounds since we started this. But I have more to lose than you, and in some respects that may mean I may lose weight faster at times, because I've got more to drop. In trying to support what you're doing, I may not come out and trumpet everything I've done, because I want my job to be helping you, not making you think I need to outdo you. We both have our own goals to achieve; that is what is and must be most important to each of us. Comparing where we are in terms of each others' weight loss, especially pounds lost, which will not really be an accurate reflection of where we are in our overall progress, doesn't do any good. So just remember that while I am grateful for any and all support, I am truly committed to this and I am doing it. Exactly what I do in aid of that can and probably will change, but my motivation is not lacking, and my methods, so far, are working.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    geez i should give you my fiance's email...he could use a pep talk...last night i came home from the gym and there was a huge mound of pestatio nuts, halloween chocolate wrappers and a 1L apple juice jug on the coffee table...someone had the munchies
  • asking131
    Options
    Well I am very proud of all the effort you have made to get fit and healthy. Trust me I have seen it and I am very proud. I'm just a big believer in the food journal...even if it's just for a week or two to help you get an idea of what your trouble areas are in terms of food, what time of day you are most likely to over eat or eat bad foods and the like. I didn't mean to suggest that you are a lazy, ambitionless slob! LoL. And I also thought it would be a good way to make sure that you have some friends on here to help you along the way. It worked didn't it??